Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   HELP!! What happened??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174256)

jenijeni Mon, Mar-22-04 13:25

HELP!! What happened???

I have been on Atkins for 6 weeks and lost 28 pounds... everything was fine, no cheating or anything. Then I weighed in today (7th week) and it said I GAINED 8 POUNDS!!! :mad:

I was thinking of WHAT I did different, and I can ONLY think of one thing, is I ate American cheese all week instead of Cheddar like I normally do, but would that make you gain 8 POUNDS?!! I did eat more salt than usual, but can't be all water retention, I did work out!! And I did drink water everyday too.

Anyway, has this ever happened to any of you? If so, did it come off the next week?

Thank you for any and all advice!

By the way, I am doing Induction this week JUST IN CASE!

twinky Mon, Mar-22-04 13:29

is it maybe that time of the month?
I had major weight gain at that time of the month

LadyBelle Mon, Mar-22-04 13:36

it probably is the salt. Cut down on processed foods and drink more water to help. Or it could be PMS related as twinky sugegsted. Also if you are working out, then the added protien in your diet may be working to rebuild and repair muscle. So some of it could be good weight.

Lowcarber Tue, Jun-08-04 13:02

There is no way you can gain that many pounds of FAT overnight. It is impossible. Therefore, do not let the gain bother you. Rather, take it as a sign that something has got to change - such as the American Cheese.

I would recommend cutting out the cheese and salt altogether for a few days and see what happens. I am sure the pounds will fly back off.

CindyG Tue, Jun-08-04 16:41

It can be the cheese and that has got to be water weight. You would have had to consume 28000 extra calories to gain that much fat weight.

Don't worry it comes off really quick. Just cut out the processed cheese, up your water a bit and you'll be heading back down in the right direction.

llabonte Tue, Jun-08-04 16:54

28 pounds in 6 weeks! Congratulations! I have lost less than that and I have been lcing for over a year! I have not lost anything since the beginning of December. I have just come off antibiotics and some other meds and after this medication I put on 5 pounds but I am not worried about it. I can tell I am retaining more water than I should be. But the worse part is after being on the drugs for 10 days I can feel my ear is starting to hurt again. I have fluid in my ears and this is getting sickening! I say drink more water and flush that weight away!

katpo Tue, Jun-08-04 16:56

I agree with the others -- has to be water weight / tummy contents, and not an actual "fat" gain. Get tough on yourself, drop the salt and up the water, and I'm sure it'll come right back off. Good luck!

Dodger Tue, Jun-08-04 17:39

Could be a problem with the scale.

bevbme Tue, Jun-08-04 20:14

Most of the weight you lost was water so it is not surprising that you gained water weight back. Those fat cells are still there waiting to fill up again.

blue4lemon Tue, Jun-08-04 20:21

that stuff can build up in your body, if you don't poop it out it can become really heavy. even a pint of water weighs a pound.