Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone use Ediets.com ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148599)

Saweetie Wed, Nov-12-03 23:58

Anyone use Ediets.com ?

Hi there,

Just cruising the web and have been seeing adds for E-diets. I started doing a health profile and found out that they send out meal plans and shopping lists based on your progress etc. Its $5 a week so sounds like it may be interesting

Has any one used this website?

I would love to hear from anyone about this ! Thanks in advance

hey_Neener Thu, Nov-13-03 01:02

You pay for something you can basically get for free here or read the book. If you need to have everything spelled out for you-you might want to do it. Otherwise, start scoping out the recipes forum or some of the journals. Lots of members have posted menus you might find helpful. Personally, I think it'd be a big waste of money. Don't they make you pay for several weeks up front?

RuthJaneen Thu, Nov-13-03 06:37

The last week of October, I was digging around for Atkins information. Like you, I saw the Ediets ads all over the place. It sounded interesting and I started going through the motions to sign up for it, went as far as entering my method of payment. When I got to the final screen, I seen the grand total was 65.00. I said forget it, I could fend for myself and invest in groceries for that. I did not hit the submit button, backed out of what I was doing thinking that was the end of it. I was scanning over my statement last weekend and lo and behold, there was a 65.00 charge from Ediets.com. I immediately called them on the phone letting them know I did not follow through, I never hit the "submit" button. The man I was speaking with told me that there were little warnings all over each screen of the signup process letting me know that hitting the back button did not cancel the order. *sigh* I told him that I found that a little 'shifty' that as much as I order online it never comes true until I hit the "submit" button, and the importance of the issue was that it was a mistake, I did not at all intend to spend 65.00 for an online diet. Well.. Since enough time had elapsed since the time of my "mistake" I was paid up until the 20th of this month, 45.00 was refunded back to me. Soooooo since I am a member of the ediets program up until the 20th of this month, I spent a little time last Saturday checking out what I had mistakenly purchased for myself. They have a journal/weight tracking accomplishments, they give you weekly menus, a grocery shopping list, ect.. ect. In a nutshell.. what I unintentionly paid 20 bucks for I have been getting for free from my own reading, the Atkins website, and this forum. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice set up and all, but... all that they offer is readily available for free...

;)

Good Luck To You....

Ruth Janeen

adkpam Thu, Nov-13-03 07:45

Quite the precautionary story, RuthJaneen!
I think some people do need this much structure, but there are dozens of times a day that we have to make our own informed decisions. There's the unexpected dinner invitation, goodies brought into the office, vacations. It makes much more sense to figure it out for yourself, and then be prepared for anything.

4beans4me Thu, Nov-13-03 09:35

I was, and found it to be a huge waste of money. :(

Saweetie Thu, Nov-13-03 11:18

Thanks Guys...I kinda figuered that it might be...but I thought I'd get some feedback first!

Thanks guys...I'll be checking out the receipes more and just snoopin through journals...

Take care

janetz Thu, Nov-13-03 11:26

I too was charged and thought I had not actually hit the submit button- this tells me that there are liekly more of us unsuspecting folks out there- I found it to be of zero value, nothing I could not do myself with some freindly support.

LadyBelle Thu, Nov-13-03 12:15

I've read a few examples of thier sample menus, and some of the things Mr. Bad Foods states he eats. It sounds like they try to get you to go low cal, and buy alot of franken foods. They also try to get you do sign on for thier personal trainer thing.

The best thing to do is read the book and ask questions on the forum, or lok at frequently asked questions on the web site. If you are having trouble with menu ideas, try to find someone who is doing about the same level of carbs you are and look through thier journal.

I would also sugegst looking at the recipes onthis forum, at lowcarbluxury.com and at recipe goldmine. You can do a search online for low carb recipes.

I would also recomend the cook book by Dana Carpender "500 Low-Carb Recipes" She uses regular ingredients you can find at the grocery store and has simple to make main meals, soups, appatizers and so on instead of focusing on sweet things like many LC cookbooks. She has a new one out I wasn't called "15 minute Low Carb Recipes"

RuthJaneen Thu, Nov-13-03 12:23

LadyBelle, I too have Dana Carpender's 500 recipie cookbook, I love it! My husband and I are going to a Health Food Store this weekend to pick up the ingredients to make the homemade wheat bread. My husband is wanting to cut his carbs but not actually do Atkins.. so, every little bit will help.

Janetz, if I would have had to bet money on it I would have bet big that ediets.com had charged other folks with that little sign up tactic they have. I did not figure I was the only one that ever happened to. I realize it was my own fault, but, again, I am not accustomed to being charged for things prior to my "submitting" the order. I don't like that little feature at all! I will definately be more careful in the future.

Ruth Janeen

indigogirl Thu, Nov-13-03 12:42

HI,

Ediets is not for everyone but it works really well for me. I have been a member there since April and am paid up until August 2004. Basically I paid the first $65 which I think went for 9 weeks and then they offered me a full year for about $5/month and I took it. I don't use any other part of their support forum (this one works for me!) but I have called for help at various times and they have been great. They do offer the tapes and their personal training thing but I don't bother with that. I know that I could do my own meal-planning but I have tried to do Atkins and other LC plans in the past and always failed. My life is totally crazy and I needed the help.
Every Friday (you pick whatever day you want to weigh in) I weigh in and do my check in and then start to work on my menu for the week. I go through each day in my planner and see what my schedule is and then I pick from their choices (many choices for each meal and they update it and change the choices occasionally) and set up a menu for me that works. For example - if I know that Friday morning is a rushed one I will pick a breakfast plan that does not involve cooking such as smoked salmon wrapped around bits of cream cheese with a few capers thrown in. Fast and easy. On weekend mornings I am likely to choose a more leisurely breakfast such as tuscan scrambled eggs with canadian bacon. I do the same thing for other meals - I just make them fit my schedule. For all the meals they have an option of choosing your own meal and if you click that you get guidelines for picking a meal or eating out etc. I also avoid meals that involved buying some Atkins food although recently I got some low carb hot cereal so have added that choice to my repertoire. Once the menu is picked I just click one button and my shopping list is generated. Once I shop I know that I have the right food in the house and I am set for another week of easy low carbing - I don't even have to think about it.
Even though my profile says I have been low carbing since 2002 I have actually lost all my weight since I started ediets. It has increased my repertoire of low carb meals - it walks you through induction and into OWL - and it has saved my life and kept me on track. More recently I have started to add more of my own choices - by trying some of the meals and recipes posted here on this site. If I only have time to try one new thing a week I know I still have my plan from ediets that I can continue to do the rest of the week. I needed the handholding - not everyone does but I am sure glad it is there for me.

Sally

Saweetie Thu, Nov-13-03 12:46

Thank-you Indigogirl...I am living a similar hectic life and perhaps need the hand holding aswell.. Especially since I am a picky, non-adventurous eater! This will give me some ideas really easily!

Thanks for the input!

4beans4me Thu, Nov-13-03 12:58

I found ediets a little contradictory in the menu choices for *induction* For example, Atkins bread was included in many of the recipes. Clearly something that is not allowed during the beginning... Another thing that bothered me was that portions were doled out per meal choice, not per day. Example, you could choose a cheese omelet for breakfast (2 ounces cheese), meat and cheese roll ups for lunch (2 ounces cream cheese) and something with 2 ounces cheese for dinner... adds up to more than Dr. A says is alloted PER DAY.

Again, just my 2 cents.