Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Help. Trouble peeling hard boiled egg (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119518)

marchbaby Wed, Jul-02-03 09:01

Help. Trouble peeling hard boiled egg

I bring them to a boil, the lower flame, pot uncovered for 12 min. Then when the timer goes off, I dump the hot water and fill pot with cold, letting eggs sit a while.

When I go to peel, I end up losing half the white to go with the shell, what am i doing wrong?

thanks.

motis Wed, Jul-02-03 09:04

Try peeling them under water. That's what works for me. :)

~Angi~

JeannieM Wed, Jul-02-03 09:09

Here's the way I've been doing it for years, and it really works well for me.

Bring the eggs to room temperature. Start the water boiling and plop the eggs into the boiling water (you can't do this with cold eggs or the shells will break). Boil for 15 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water.

The shells just seem to fall off when I do it this way.

Good luck.

Jeannie

Arie Wed, Jul-02-03 09:12

It may be that the eggs are very fresh. Very fresh eggs are hard to peel. What I do is imidiatly put the eggs into iced water (easy if you have an ice maker), and let them sit there until the eggs are stone cold..
This will help in the peeling but will also prevent the yolks from developing this gray/blue color on the outside... the yolks will stay nice and yellow.. And as the post above says, peel under running water, as the water stream kinda helps separate the peel from the egg..

tugboatguy Wed, Jul-02-03 09:12

peeling eggs

I have always used fresh eggs and when cooling them down I rinse them in cold water and then cover eggs with water and ice cubes for 15 to 20 minutes. Eggs seem to peel well.

Good luck

Bebet Wed, Jul-02-03 14:31

Peeling hard boiled eggs

No matter what the cooking methods, the only way I get these suckers to peel without making a mess of them is to take them off the stove when they are done, drain the hot water, fill the pan with cold water and peel them as soon as I can handle them. Then I let them cool off. Of course this makes their shelf life shorter, but they usually don't last that long in my house. I've had two people tell me to do it this way and it always works.

cohenlin Wed, Jul-02-03 17:12

the older the egg the easier it will peel. Buy extra eggs and let them on the counter for a day or so before you cook them. The eggs will do fine with out refrigeration. Or leave them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. This will make the air bubble larger, which will make it easier to peel. I always knew that my BS degree in Poultry Production would come in handy. :lol:

aznlily68 Wed, Jul-02-03 21:46

after boiling eggs....you must IMMEDIATLY put it in ice cold water. The water gets warm so constant keep it in cold water. While your doing other stuff or about 5 mins later, break the shell all around the egg by tapping it around. Then, it'll peel right off

Chantalina Thu, Jul-03-03 15:44

add some salt to your boiling water and when eggs are done immerse in cold water the shells should come off real quick.

chantal:rheart:

marchbaby Thu, Jul-03-03 16:06

Thanks guys, the icewater did the trick!

my eggs peeled much better today!

junebug61 Thu, Jul-10-03 05:47

I have my own laying hens, and get about 10- 12 eggs daily. The older the egg, the easier it is to peel. All I have are fresh eggs, but it seems to me, if I peel them asap they turn out much better.

tirk182 Wed, Jul-16-03 16:25

for me

it seems if they boil too long then they are very hard to peel. so if I remove them as soon as they are done, they seem to always peel easy, as opposed to leaving them in longer.

lburnikell Wed, Aug-06-03 09:33

I just peel them under cold running water as soon as I have cooked them!!

JanaBanana Sun, Aug-10-03 06:20

must be fate!

Great information! So glad to have found this thread! Especially the posts about very fresh eggs being hard to peel. The last couple times I've gotten eggs from the Green Market (farmer's market) and had the worst time trying to peel them. I'm afraid to make them again.

To paraphrase Felix in the Odd Couple: "Is egg salad supposed to make a noise?"

AzureMoon Mon, Aug-11-03 11:19

An egg-pealing notion...

My secret to easy-peel eggs is to take the handle of a table knife and gently whap the egg all around so that it is all broken. Then start at the wide end of the egg and have at it. Some times it's almost like peeling an apple in that you get a long "peel" of egg shell as you peel the egg in a circular motion.