Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Leg Pains? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107345)

debmarjs Thu, May-22-03 11:02

Leg Pains?

Today I have terriable pains in my legs what could cause this? Has anyone else experienced this?

TBird710 Thu, May-22-03 11:09

I get charlie horses quite a bit, usually it is a potassium deficiency. Hope that helps.

flangee Thu, May-22-03 11:18

take a calcium magnisium supplement along with a good multiviamin. it really helps almost instantly. if you are working out you should take L-glutamin as it not only stabalizes your blood sugar but helps rebiuld tissue.

definitly take Calcium magnesium and Potassium (most important)

Birddog Thu, May-22-03 11:32

I get them all the time. I take 4 calcium-magnesium pills, 4 potassium, and 1 to 2 Quinine (prescribed by my doctor) every night. I had a blood test to insure I was not potassium deficient. I drink gallons of water and I still get them almost daily. Sorry I couldn't help.

flangee Fri, May-23-03 11:13

I used to get them alot when I was on Low Fat... yuck. My doctor told me to increase my salt intake and it actually worked. If you don't use alot of salt try a pinch of atlantic sea salt in the morning. It is a very good mineral for you and seemed to help me.

Mistertut Fri, May-23-03 11:56

For me the problem was Potassium (Vitamin K, I believe it is also called). The deal with potassium is that all the supplements I could find had a scandalously low % of the RDA in 'em.
My solution? I started using salt substitute- Potassium Chloride. Works like a charm for me!

WeeOne Fri, May-23-03 12:06

A banana a day would take care of it. But since that is out of the question, I would suggest a potassium supplement. It is not normally in a multi-vitamin, you will have to add another pill to your list of things to take.

The salt thing sound like a good idea, I might try adding that too.

Wee

mfo Fri, May-23-03 12:08

Cramps in the Calf Muscles

Yes, I get cramps in my calves in the middle of the night; horrible thing to wake up to. I've started taking Potassium supplements more regulary. The Atkins shakes are also full of potassium and other good nutrients.

justcindy Fri, May-23-03 14:44

Potassium cleared it up for me as well. I have prescription potassium for my heart failure and I wasn't a fan of taking those big pills twice a day...well I am taking them now and the leg cramps are gone.

Karsuepas Fri, May-23-03 19:30

I used the salt substitute too and it really helped me.

Karen

mfo Sat, May-24-03 06:36

More Cramps & Spasms

Last night when in bed watching TV I had the WORST muscle spasm cramps in my foot and toes and it just went on and on......

I've been on a weight losing streak here lately and since I have is when my cramps have been the most frequent. So strange.....It even happens when I'm doing aerobics and I have to stop until I work it out.

sharann Tue, May-27-03 15:49

I just wanted to clarify that Potassium is not the same as Vitamin K. Vit K is an anti-platlet substance, useful in blood clotting and also as an antidote for Coumadin overdose. KCL is Potassium chloride however. Many a drug error has occurred because of these 2 being confused.

MsJinx Tue, May-27-03 16:21

My Twinlab bottle in front of me says Liqui-K (Liquid Potassium). It is potassium citrate, and aspartate).

Jinx

Hmmmm??
http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cach...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

LisaS Wed, May-28-03 00:18

sharann is right. Vit K and Potassium are NOT the same thing.

the letter "K" is the chemical element symbol for Potassium (just like Fe=Iron, Na=Sodium, etc) -- so things that are a potassium supplement may use a "K" in their name, but this is definitely not the same thing as Vitamin K.

the link posted seems to call potassium "vitamin K" - but this would be incorrect and misleading to couple "vitamin" with "K" and mean potassium.
In many texts, potassium might be referred to as K (see Merck link below), just as Ca might be used to reference calcium, or Fe for iron.

here is a link to the Merck Manual about Vitamin K:
Vitamin K

here is a link to the Merck Manual about Potassium:
Potassium