Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Favorite Snack Poll (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=26558)

KASSY Wed, Nov-28-01 22:14

Favorite Snack Poll

I was just curious what some of the veteran low carbers favorite snacks are?
Also looking for easy, on the go snack ideas.

Kassy :rolleyes:

Susan19 Wed, Nov-28-01 22:26

I love smoked salmon with boursin cream cheese rolled up in it...mmm! I have that when I am waiting for dinner to be done. Also, macadamias are an old favorite as well.
Susan

goingfor60 Wed, Nov-28-01 23:42

Snacks

I eat the 1oz bags of planters peanuts or beef jerky

Shannon

madpiano Thu, Nov-29-01 03:34

I usually have packets (small !) of Macadamia Nuts or Smoked Almonds in the cupboard for snacks. Another favourite is Emmental Cheese (the real continental one is really expensive, but seems to contain less carbs, than Uk produced ones). If I am not too hungry, I bang some streaky bacon strips into the Oven.

agonycat Thu, Nov-29-01 07:35

Sunflower seed addict here. :D

And if it's not sunflower seeds, its mixed nuts or the once in a blue moon orange/almond chocolate fluffs I make.

KASSY Thu, Nov-29-01 08:33

sounds good

agonycat-
How do you make that, it sounds good?

A thin me! Thu, Nov-29-01 09:00

Susan19 - question

Susan19:

The cheese you are referring to - is it a hard (formed into a wedge) cheese or in a tub like a spread??

The reason I am asking, is that I eat Lox with cream cheese - slicing off a piece here and dipping it in the cream cheese, but the boursin would be a nice change of pace.

Please get back to me and how high in carbs is it?

agonycat Thu, Nov-29-01 09:11

2 oz of Unsweetened chocolate (bakers kind)
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 c splenda
capful of orange extract (I use the little bottles so 1/4 tsp is about a capful)
2 tbls of unsalted butter
1/4c slivered or sliced or whole almonds (you could use any of your favorite nuts here)

Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave.

Mix together the heavy cream, splenda and orange flavoring. Whip this until it resembles cool whip. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture and nuts, be careful not to break down the whipping cream too much.

Spoon small blobs into wax paper and chill to set.

Once they set up, I normally transfer these to a plastic bag and store in the freezer. You can vary this with different extracts and nuts. Also if you dont like a bitter sweetness you could add a bit more splenda to this.

Not sure how many carbs extracts have in them as it wasn't listed in the database.

Carb count:
Chocolate: 16 grams, 8 fiber
Cream: 2 grams
Splenda: 2 grams (for safety sakes)
Slivered almonds: 6 grams, 3 fiber
Butter: .018 grams
Extract: no clue its not listed anywhere

26 grams of carbs and 11 fiber for the entire batch. Normally I make 8 blobs so that is around 4 grams for each one without minusing out the fiber count.

Susan19 Thu, Nov-29-01 09:29

Hi!
It's in a tub. I actually get the light kind, I am assuming I decided to get Light because it was lower in carbs. It's 1.63g carbs for a serving, which is 1 2/3 tablespoon (28g). good stuff!
Susan

Atriana Thu, Nov-29-01 10:34

Pepperoni slices and cheese cubes.
Mock Danish.
1 oz bag of peanuts - can't buy the big cans, I'll eat too many.
Queso Blanco - (frying cheese)

slm6596 Thu, Mar-07-02 10:14

Hi agonycat,

I was double checking the carbs in your chocolate orange recipe, and I think it's a little bit off. The main thing is the Splenda. Splenda is .5 per tsp. so 1/4 cup would be 6 grams of carbs, not 3.

Here's what I came up with; let me know if I'm wrong.

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate=7.31 (excluding fiber)
1/2 c heavy cream=3.32
1/4 c Splenda=6.0
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (I don't like orange)=0.13
2 T of butter=0.20
1/4 c almonds=2.58

For a total of 19.54 divided by 8 would be 2.44 per serving. Not too bad; I think I'll make these.

Elaine3 Thu, Mar-28-02 10:27

cubed cheese
vienns sausages
pork rinds
celery w/ cream cheese on it
deviled eggs
sf jello
each eaten as a singular snack or all together as a lunch meal

KellieV Mon, Apr-01-02 13:29

Ham & Cream cheese roll-ups

These are my saving grace!
I make a bunch then when I get home from work they are done and ready to eat -(THEN I AM NOT TEMPTED TO EAT MY CABINETS-after I have eaten everything in them (LOL))

Watch the carbs on the ham you by some are 0 some are not
spread cream cheese (or long cube of cheddar) on ham
slice of chili, green pepper or green onion
then roll the ham up

They are great and the temptation is gone!

Good Luck

CarbHealth Sat, Apr-06-02 17:48

devilled eggs

Mostly Spanish Devilled Eggs

and I also have mozzarella cheese chunks marinated in olive oil with garlic and onion powders.

Dandi Sat, Apr-06-02 18:30

I am learning I have to be very careful about the concept of "snacks". I tend to think of cream, cream cheese, chocolate, even diet puddings, diet jello or diet pop. And they all trip me up. I quit losing weight, don't feel as good, can't sleep at night, etc. I've decided some of us are especially sensitive to the effects of these foods. Mayo is another one, a T. of it can throw me off. So deviled eggs are out too.

So I'm having to learn to think of snacks in a totally different way: a little protein food with a raw vegetable usually. That's about as far as I've got but I'm open to ideas.