Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   stretch marks - do they go away (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105158)

Bxnz Tue, May-13-03 17:19

stretch marks - do they go away

I have lost a big chunk of weight so far and my stretch marks have faded to white - i was wondering if anyone knows if they will entirely dissappear at all - i really really hope so :confused:

Talon Tue, May-13-03 17:24

No unfortunately they will not entirely go away. :( They will get thinner and less noticable. I keep them moisturized, hoping that keeping them moisturized will make them less noticable.

Pugzilla Tue, May-13-03 18:32

There are a couple of creams on the market that are supposed to diminish scars, including stretchmarks. The one that comes to mind is called Maderma. This is not a "beauty" product, but rather a pharmaceutical developed for people who have been scarred through surgery, accidents, etc.

I don't know how effective it is, but I will probably being trying it myself. I know they will never completely go away, but if this can help fade them a little, I'd be grateful enough for that.

mrschmelz Tue, May-13-03 18:43

Do a search on the site for skin brushing. Some people have seemed to find success doing that. Also I hear Vitamin E is good for stretch marks. Another suggestion is to keep a good tan, everyone says that helps keep them from being as noticed.

chelles Tue, May-13-03 20:31

Retin-A (the prescription kind, NOT the over-the-counter kind) works on fresh, red stretch marks.

Otherwise we have to live with them.

yvonne326 Wed, May-14-03 07:23

Unfortunately they will fade in time but they never go away - - I know - - two pregnancies and weight gain has caused many on my abdomen, hips and thighs. Luckily as my body "shrinks", they do too.

orzabelle Wed, May-14-03 08:14

Oh, if only! I have major ones on my hips, thighs, and lower back from a big old high school 6-inch growth spurt. My husband even has them. In a bathing suit, they are less noticeable with self-tanner on them...

hippygal Wed, May-14-03 08:15

Nope

I just consider them my war wounds. Look at them proudly if you are a mother then you know that your beautiful child / children would not be here if they were absent. If you got them from being overweight still look at them proudly because you have lost weight and a few marks on your body is alot better than being overweight abd unhealthy. The only thing I know works for sure is a tummy tuck and they are pretty pricey.
Take them in Stride !

Hippy !

debmarjs Wed, May-14-03 08:59

I always found that getting a good tan on my stomach reduces the site of them. I dont think they will ever go away so accept them,like the other poster said there your war scars. Wear them proudly!

cvillacci Wed, May-14-03 09:09

I have had streach marks since I was 14(30 years ago) and lost 30 pounds ( made up my own low carb diet). They are on by breasts and hip bones. They have diminished but have not gone away.

Debmarjs - I do not know how to send a private emai but I love your picture. I assume that you are a parrot lover as well as I am. I have several (greys, cockatoos, amazons, quakers) but do not have a macaw. If you want to ( and can) feel free to email me and we can talk birds.

2berners Wed, May-14-03 09:14

Don't waste your money

Mederma works well on fresh scars, doesn't do anything for old marks. Skin brushing helps mitigate them, but they'll never go away completely. You know what? No one will notice them near as much as you do, so try not to sweat it.

gretchend Wed, May-14-03 09:52

Like the other posts stated, "stretch marks are the badge of a real woman" Wear them with pride!!!!