Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Alternative to Mayo (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=227903)

chewtoy45 Wed, Jan-12-05 07:49

Alternative to Mayo

Does anyone have a low-carb, low-cal alternative to mayonnaise? I love it :yum:, but it's really hard not to eat too much.

pad Wed, Jan-12-05 08:05

mayonaise is low carb .... mine is 0.1g Carbs per 15g spoon ..

chewtoy45 Wed, Jan-12-05 08:17

Mine is zero carb, too, but it's the high-caloric content I'm concerned about.

Lorisa Wed, Jan-12-05 08:31

Being able to eat mayonaise guilt-free is one of the things that makes Atkins great! I love it too, and I never let myself worry about it since its truly one of the lowest carb condiment options you can choose. I say eat up as long as you don't gorge on it - it is, after all, just a condiment.

AJourney Wed, Jan-12-05 08:35

You need to get out of the "low fat" mind set! It has been proven that low fat doesn't work - simply ensure you are choosing the healthy fats, and get on with life. Mayo is wonderful, and low carb - as long as it is in moderation.

mammac-5 Wed, Jan-12-05 08:44

Low fat stinks! Enjoy your full-fat mayo. Mine's Duke's...the very best and has never had any sugar added to the original family recipe.

chewtoy45 Wed, Jan-12-05 09:10

Yippee!!! Hellllooooo mayo :yay: ! Thanks, guys!

lilli Wed, Jan-12-05 13:14

If you are trying to watch your calories (as many people don't lose if they overeat) there are mayo alternatives. There is soy mayo and safflower mayo, both in light. If you use tons of mayo, you could try these. They are much lower in calories, but contain 1-2 carbs a serving, so you have to watch that.

csoar2004 Wed, Jan-12-05 13:20

Make your own, it's easy. 1/2 cup oil of your choice, dash of dry mustard, 1 egg, tsp of lemon juice.
Blend egg with mustard & lemon in blender or with wand mixer. Slowly (and I do mean SLOWLY!) drizzle in the oil. Mixture will thicken as oil emulsifies. When all the oil is incorporated, you may add additional spices if you wish, but by hand, don't use the blender/mixer (try garlic and parsley or cilantro) :yum:

Using 1/2 cup of oil means that 1/4 cup of the resulting mayo will be the equivalent of 2 TBSP of oil. Adjust your intake accordingly to follow your plan's rules on fat. :p

ValerieL Wed, Jan-12-05 13:50

I have to confess that I'm in a place right now where I have to keep calories low in order to lose weight. I bought the very low-fat stuff to help me out. A few extra carbs but a LOT less calories.

As long as I can spare the carbs, it's a good trade off for me.

Val

chewtoy45 Wed, Jan-12-05 18:41

Thank you, all. And thanks, csoar2004, for the recipe. One last thing: If I choose to go with full fat store bought and disregard calories, my absolute favorite is Hellmann's but sugar is listed as the 6th ingredient. Is this a no-no?

AndreaBash Wed, Jan-12-05 19:14

I eat Hellmans and I've never had a problem. You have to decide if you're one of those people who will never let any kind of sugar pass your lips EVER again.. or if you are OK with the addition of sugar as long as it fits into your carb allowance.

If you're on induction, it might be a good idea to hold off, but once you're done it's a decision you need to make on your own.