Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Mock Stewed Apples (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=101016)

Recipe Gal Fri, Apr-25-03 09:02

Low Carb "Mock" Apple Pie?

I am looking for a recipe for a low carb mock "apple pie" made with zucchini.

Does anyone have a recipe for anything like this?

KathyD Fri, Apr-25-03 11:36

"Mock" Apples?

Never heard of using zuccini in place of apples. I am real interested in hearing the recipe!

Lessara Sat, Apr-26-03 12:59

I can imagine it.

I have used peeled zuccini and then peeling long strips from them leaving the seedy core. If you take the strips and cook them with butter, they do have the texture of apples, I can imagine them with cinnamin and sugar... :)

Ps the butter strips of zuccini is also great, sprinkled with cheese or poppy seeds. :thup:

cptkirk Sun, Apr-27-03 19:13

This was on the veggie forum under "Jicama". It sounds good but I have not tried it.

Got this recipe from another board. It sounds yummy and I have the jicama, but don't have the diet cream soda or the packet of diet apple cider mix:

Recipe Name: Mock Stewed Cinnamon Apples (Jicama)

Serves: 4-6 depending on size
Calories: varies
Prep Time: about 30 mins
Occasion: Any
Cuisine: Not Sure
Effort: Easy

Ingredients:
1 jicama
1 diet cream soda
2-3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 pkt diet apple cider mix
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 cup water
pinch salt

How to Prepare:

Peel jicama and slice into bite-sized pieces. Melt butter in skillet and add jicama slices and diet cream soda, cinamon, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Stir and let this cook down over low heat until most of moisture is evaporated. Add water and cook down again until thick. The jicama will not get as tender as apples, but you cannot tell difference in taste. You could use this as a side dish for a country-style meal, top with a sweetened crushed nut mixture and bake for a dessert, or serve with lc ice cream or pancakes. If using a medium jicama that makes about 3 cups when sliced, the whole recipe will be 24g carbs total. (51g carbs - 27g fiber)

Recipe Gal Mon, Apr-28-03 11:28

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the ideas. I tried the crockpot jicama thing and I wasn't all that impressed. The recipe I found didn't call for the cream soda, though. I cooked it for 24 hours and the apples were still crispy. That was not really a bad thing, though. The thing that was bad is that I ended up using more S.F. Cider mix than called for and it still was not sweet. I think it might have had somthing to do with the Nutrasweet in the mix. Isn't that the one that doesn't hold up to heat?

Maybe I could use the mix for the flavoring and add splenda. I bought some off-brand apple cool-aide (to try for flavoring) but it had a really fake taste. Couldn't find Kool-Aid brand in apple.

The zucchini might just be good without any apple flavoring and the cinnamon.

I will need a thickener, though. I haven't tried any of those low carb ones yet.

Anyone had any experience with thickeners? I don't know where to start.

DarkRose Mon, Apr-28-03 13:00

Yup, nutrasweet (aspartame) degrades when heated.

As for thickeners, you could try Xantham Gum (pretty much all fiber), it's worked well for me so far. :)

Saweetie Sun, Feb-22-04 19:52

Interesting thread...might have to try some of these...

LadyBelle Sat, Feb-28-04 17:48

The cider mix could add alot of carbs though wouldn't it?

I make a Jicama applesauce I just love. It takes forever to cook, so when I do make it I do large batches at once. It is so addicting, but it also seems to have an appitite suppressent quality to it.

I use stevia instead of splenda, leave out the cream and add a little (very little) apple cider vinigar for more of an apple taste.

Jicama – Mock Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal

2 cups ½ inch cubes of Jicama
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup or 6 packets of Splenda
½ cup heavy cream

Boil the jicama in enough water to cover. When the water cooks out add enough to cover again and boil that down. Then add more water butter cinnamon and Splenda and cook down until it is half of the liquid left and then add your cream. Cook until almost dry.

Then take warm Jicama and put in food processor with lower chopping blade. Chop until as smooth as possible.

lcstudent Fri, Feb-15-08 23:19

*bump* The jicama apple sauce looks great!

kevinpa Sat, Feb-16-08 00:32

Here is one I made with zucchini.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...688#post6051688