Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   questions about yogurt & almonds (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=37451)

disneybebe Sun, Mar-17-02 04:35

questions about yogurt & almonds

Hi everyone. I live in Hong Kong. In HK, the manufacturers aren't required to print the nutrition-info on the food packages. Today, I saw this natural yogurt in the supermarket. I read it's ingredients & it's sugar-free. On the tub, it says, 100g(ml?) has 66kcal, 2g fat & 4.4g protein. It didn't say anything about carbs. Since 1g of fat= 9kcal, 1g protein= 4kcal, does that mean 100g of this yogurt has 7.6g carbs? If my calculation is correct, is this yogurt a good low-carb-bargain?
Can anyone please tell me what almond meal is? Can I substitute almond flour with grounded almonds? I've looked everywhere & just couldn't find almond flour.
Any input would be much appreciated, I thank u in advance. Happy low-carbing :wave:
Bebe

lmccarty96 Sun, Mar-17-02 08:44

If it's sugar-free, what is it sweetened with? All of the yogurt I've looked at, the lite and regular, had tons of carbs in it.

Rosebud Sun, Mar-17-02 18:54

Hi Bebe!
Almond meal is just another word for almonds that have been ground into flour. So, you won't be substituting, you'll be using almond meal! ;)
As for yoghurt, your calculations are correct. (And yes, for liquids, 1 mL = 1 g) But, there's a little controversy over yoghurt. Apparently, some of the sugars in yoghurt are "used up" in the culture process, so 7.6 g would effectively only be about 3 or 4. Some folk still count the full number but I think you are safe to assume the actual carb count will be considerably less than 7.6.
HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

disneybebe Mon, Mar-18-02 05:03

thank u very much

Rosebud, thank u for the reply. I had no idea that almond flour = grounded almonds. :idea: In that case, I already have some almond flour in my cupboard then, hehehe! I'd surf the internet tonight & look for a lovely recipe which calls for natural yogurt, then I'd get the yogurt tomorrow. Thank u very much for your help.

Hi Imccarty96,
I read the ingredients on the tub, it only says cultural milk (I've absolutely no idea what that is BTW) & emulsifier. Good question, I've no idea what natural yogurt is sweetened with. In fact, I've never ever tasted natural yogurt in my entire life, hehe. All I had before was those sugary yogurt. I don't even know if natural yogurt is sweet or not....... :q: Anyways, I'll let u know after I try them. Happy low-carbing.

Bebe :wave:

clwydd Mon, Mar-18-02 05:34

Yogurt is made by adding bacterial cultures to milk, so I guess that's what "cultural milk" means.

I like it with a little lemon juice, a little grating of lemon peel, and some sweetener to taste. You can also make a smoothie in the blender with a few (watch the carb counts) berries. I use whole frozen, unsweetened strawberries (about 4 berries) and there's enough ice to make a nice milkshake consistency.

Susan

disneybebe Mon, Mar-18-02 09:15

Hi Susan,
Thank u for the explanation & the recipe for the yogurt as well. I'll try them tomorrow :yum: Have a great day.
Bebe

smore Tue, May-21-02 14:46

looked everywhere HELP ASAP

I cant seem to find the carb count on Ground Almonds??anyone share the URL or the Numbers Id love it
thank you

smore Tue, May-21-02 14:55

I found it!!!Carb count for Ground Almonds

I found it..hard but I did it...
heres the info for anyone who needs it:
Serving Size 1/4 cup (30g) Calories 170 Fat 15g Total Carbohydrate 5g Dietary Fiber 4g Sugars 1g Protein 7g.

doreen T Tue, May-21-02 16:46

hi Bebe,

7.6g of carbs for a mere 100g yogurt is WAY high, and says right away to me that the product has added carbs .. if not from sugar, then from honey or fruits. Also 2g fat per 100g food means the yogurt is only 2% fat. In other words, low fat, partially skimmed.

Natural, plain, full fat yogurt is 3.5 to 4% fat, and has 12g carbs listed per 250g. Some study has been done which suggests that when the yogurt is made with active bacterial cultures, and the label states as live or active when purchased .. then up to 8 grams of lactose per cup is consumed by the bacteria, leaving only 4g carbs in the finished yogurt. This is only true for full fat yogurt, not skim or lowfat, which has a higher carb count.

Doreen

disneybebe Tue, May-21-02 18:54

Thanks Doreen,

I bought a tub of yogurt a while ago. I had a spoonful of the stuff & I almost gagged. I threw the entire tub out, disgusting really......

Janice Tue, May-21-02 20:01

It's a good thing ....

If you can get full fat organic (& plain) yoghurt (with at least a live culture or two), stir in some ground flax seed, Babe, it's a very good thing regardless of a few carbs.

Just say "yes" to yoghurt!!

Janice

disneybebe Tue, May-21-02 21:41

Hi Janice,

How did u know that I just bought some flax seeds ?? I've been searching for flax seeds for ages (I live in HK ;) ) & I finally found some yesterday!
Thanks for the idea, Janice ;)

aisha Wed, May-22-02 08:27

Hi Bebe!
I also live in Hong Kong and find it difficult to find good stuff to eat and read the labels...How are you progressing I am not seeing much progress yet after 22 days still at 167lbs

:confused:

disneybebe Wed, May-22-02 21:24

Hi Richard,

Another LCer from HK, pleasure to meet u ;)
Most of the stuff doesn't have nutrional-info on the package & that really really annoys me :mad:
Be careful of the pre-packaged food from China, their nutrition-info is pretty much science fiction. I once saw a bag of frozen chicken breast (raw) that has 12g of carbs & a tin of fried dace (that listed sugar as 2nd ingredient & they tasted really sweet) w/ 0g of carbs :eek: :exclm:

I just read your profile. If u don't mind me saying, it seems to me that u're at a very ideal weight already. Maybe that's why u can't seem to lose any weight? It's always difficult to lose the last few lbs or if u only had just a bit to lose. Hang in there ;)

PS. Will continue this chat in my journal ;)