Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Help on Breakfast suggestions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136263)

ask323 Wed, Sep-10-03 08:15

Help on Breakfast suggestions

Good morning everyone! I am in need of breakfast suggestions. My DH and I are just starting week 2 of induction and my DH is really sick of bacon & eggs. Is there anything else that he can eat. He is lactose intolerant and
has had sever bloating, runs, and just feels extremly run down.:cry:
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your input. Thanks!
ask323

lkonzelman Wed, Sep-10-03 08:17

You have to really start thinking outside the box.... any food can be for any meal.

How about some cut up peppers or celery filled w/ cream cheese or some deli meats and cheese roll ups.

Any food anytime.... Enjoy.

ask323 Wed, Sep-10-03 08:23

He can't handle cream cheese, he is lactose intolerant. I mad some crustless cheesecake which was wonderful and he couldn't handle it, he got ill.
Would chicken lunchmeat be OK on a piece of LC bread?
ask323:)

lkonzelman Wed, Sep-10-03 08:24

No lc bread during induction. That is something you have to try later.

Hilary M Wed, Sep-10-03 14:38

Try the recipe for mock french toast — I don't think it contains any dairy. Also, if you're past Induction try making some of the muffin recipes you can find on this site. The chocolate flax seed muffins are delicious and provide you with some fiber to boot!

MissMissy Wed, Sep-10-03 22:03

what about hard boiled eggs? I did that during induction. Make them the night before, or a bunch on Sunday night and keep in the fridge. You still get sick of them, but they are quicker to eat.

Definitely stay away from the low-carb bread for now, you can't have that during induction.

I second the suggestion for celery... too bad you can't put the cream cheese in it. Leftovers from dinner is fine.... chicken breasts, steak, etc. I know it gets hard, but you just have to stick it out a little bit longer, and then you can start eating the Atkins breakfast bars, which are very yummy.

Budurowe Wed, Sep-10-03 22:26

I agree with above, the mock French Tost (looks like pan-cakes) is the best! Go to Receips and type in French Tost to get it right. Here is a preview:

Ing. = eggs, heavy cream, splenda, Cinn. to taste & pork rinds.

I eat them about 3 times a week with low-carb. syurp, yummmy!

**Also, I too got soooo sick of eggs I could puke! I started eating hamburger patties and salad for breakfast and getting my eggs in at lunch and/or dinner (develed eggs)!

geo53562 Thu, Sep-11-03 06:43

Hi ask323--

Well, lactose intolerant is definitely going to rule out heavy cream. Omelets with some variety in the ingredients can give you an Induction-friendly breakfast alternative. I like to mix up mushrooms, chopped spinach, green onions, chopped water chestnuts, etc. Obviously cheese is out too, unless you can find a soy-based alternative that is relatively LC. Try substituting 0-carb breakfast sausage for bacon, or Canadian bacon, ham slices, or even a breakfast steak.

When you're both off Induction, you might want to check out some of the flax-meal hot cereal concoctions...I've never tried them, but some folks think they are a good (if pricey) choice.

I also agree with LisaK that there is no reason you have to start your day with conventional breakfast foods...if you can eat a "Dinner-Omelet" with a side salad for supper, why can't you have a "Breakfast Chop" with a sauteed mushroom side?

NYorker Thu, Sep-11-03 07:32

I've never been a big fan of eggs. I can tolerate omelettes but that's about it. However, I discovered the best way to eat them is to make a fritatta.

I use four or five eggs and whatever is in the fridge - bacon, onion, smoked turkey is good for example.
Fry up chopped bacon, add onion and brown, then remove them and pour off most of the fat from the pan.
Add four or five stirred eggs to the pan, let set for a moment, then throw in the bacon, onion and whatever else you want to add. Top with a hefty amount of shredded cheese, trying to get the cheese "wet" in the egg. (I actually press it in with my hands.)
When the bottom seems to be set, run the pan under the broiler for a few minutes. The top gets nice and bubbly and brown. Let it cool a bit and you have a fritatta - a dish the Italians tend to serve at room temp, in slices like pie. It's really delish and egg haters won't know what hit them.

(obviously this isn't a real recipe, just a technique. I left out salt and pepper, herbs...etc. But you cooks can play it by ear)

Leenie Thu, Sep-11-03 08:12

Cold deviled eggs is a nice treat, how about some turkey bacon for a change, its less greasy and more meaty (buy the Louis Rich brand, you'll love it honest). How about turkey sausages, there are many out there but the kind I like is Shaddy Brook, again less greasy and very tasty. Has he tried some canadian bacon or some ham ?

Boars Head is the only brand I can find in these parts that has deli meats with no carbs in them. Look at their website.

Or some left over veggies & steak, ckn.

How about Celery Sticks w/no sugar Pnut Butter? Thats one of my favorites. Snack on some cold black olives.

I'll try to think of some more.

Good luck :D

RickinTN Thu, Sep-11-03 08:14

If, for the first two weeks, you can stick to bacon and eggs and fresh pork sausage (better to buy it and add your own seasonins), then you can expand out some. You can even also fix steak, burgers, ham (as long as you watch what is in it), and about anything else that is involved on the induction list. Good luck :) Stick with it. It will work :)

geo53562 Thu, Sep-11-03 09:07

BTW, your husbands lactose intolerance probably makes things pretty rough on your menu choices. You might want to check out this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136340

regarding soy milk products. At the least, they should help you make tastier omelets.

letsgo Fri, Sep-12-03 11:44

I am lactose intolerant as well. I really believe in Lactaid pills. They seem to have stopped all my problems. And I have noticed that my intolerance is subsiding a bit when I forget to take a pill. Funny now that I'm eating a ton of dairy compared to before.

atiaran Fri, Sep-12-03 12:27

For a change from eggs & bacon, I like pieces of smoked salmon or deli sliced meats rolled around just about anything from cheese or for lactose intolerance, veggies like a pickle, lettuce and a bit of chopped up green onion and mayo or mustard. And as everyone lese said, when you're past the Induction phase, and upping your carb count, you can try the muffins and cereal recipes. There is also a granola type cereal made by Flaxomeal that you can munch on without having to use heavy cream and water (for milk). Or you can use unsweetened soy milk with the cereal.