Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   dry skin? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149903)

Bonzlee Wed, Nov-19-03 22:49

dry skin?

I just finished day 16 of Atkins (I'm staying on induction until the end of the year). I've done great and have found this to be really easy. I'm just loving it! No cheats at all. The only problem I'm having is my skin has gotten very dry. I drink a lot of water -- 80 to 100 oz. per day. Any ideas of why my skin would react this way?
Thanks!
Bonnie

Alina Thu, Nov-20-03 01:46

Hi Bonnie!

Congratulations on your great start! :)
This happened to me too in the beginning - make sure you continue to drink water and take supplements. Include fresh vegetables in your diet.
This will pass and your skin will look better than ever, I promise!

Good luck

Alina

LittleAnne Thu, Nov-20-03 02:24

Hi Bonnie

Sorry about the dry skin. What Alina says is true. If you rub on body lotion to keep your skin moisturised you will not find this a problem.

At first I found my skin improved a lot and then it goes through spells when it gets drier. A little tender loving care with moisturiser sets it up for the following few months.

Keep low carbing for a healthy way of life.

nursey15 Thu, Nov-20-03 03:12

I've had the same problem on past diets, I just treat myself to some good smelling lotions from Bath and Body Works. I figure that's just a little extra something for me. I also used to use baby oil in the shower. Just put some on one of those scrubbie ball netted things. If you do it in the shower it doesn't seem so oily when you get out. Rub it in rinse it off and your skin is really supple feeling. Even my boyfriend commented on it.

Maamel Thu, Nov-20-03 04:56

I had little blackheads or small moles on my neck area - not as gross as it sounds but it bothered me all the same! - when I started LCbing. Sometime last month my DH commented that they seemed to have vanished! I hadn't even noticed it till then. Your dry skin is just dead skin falling off to reveal the lovely new layer underneath!!!

BlitzedAng Thu, Nov-20-03 05:50

Im in my 7th week and I have seen just the opposite. My skin seems oily on my face which never had before.I drink ALOT of water so Im clueless what to do besides washing it 10 times a day, LOL. Any ideas?

vbrowne Thu, Nov-20-03 08:16

Exfoliate, that will help as well. Then use a toner (non-alcohol) and moisturizer. Pretty soon your skin will look wonderful.

Vikki

JeannieM Thu, Nov-20-03 08:30

I live in the desert, where dry skin is ALWAYS a problem. But since I started LC'ing, my skin has been wonderfully not dry (moist?). I take 2000 mg of flaxseed oil a day (1000 mg in the AM, and 1000 mg in the PM), and I think that this might be the reason my skin tone is so much better.

Jeannie

angieK Thu, Nov-20-03 09:04

Hey Maamel:
"Your dry skin is just dead skin falling off to reveal the lovely new layer underneath!!!"

I loved your answer
angie

Bonzlee Thu, Nov-20-03 10:11

Thanks everybody! Glad to know this is common. I'll go find myself some pretty lotions. That flaxseed oil sounds like a good idea too. I'm going to look into it!

vbrowne Thu, Nov-20-03 10:37

my hair is extremely dry right now, I started taking more flax too.

Vik

BlitzedAng Fri, Nov-21-03 14:16

Yes, the dry hair, UHG! I think I need to read up on flaxseed.. Thanks :)