Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Improved sense of smell? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154580)

Bonzlee Thu, Dec-18-03 19:12

Improved sense of smell?

In the past two weeks I've noticed that I've developed a very keen sense of smell. I smell things I never noticed before -- like that fact that Cosco bakery section smells like maple. My nose did not work well before Atkins. I wonder if I had food allergies that I didn't know about, and now that I don't eat that stuff my nose is clearer and working better. Anybody else have this?

Bonnie

LadyBelle Thu, Dec-18-03 19:20

Very much. It gets worse after exercising too I've noticed. This makes it very hard to sit next to someone who has BO or is a smoker on way home from gym.

They say something like 90% of taste is associated with smell. I wonder if the new sense of smell is one of reasons my taste buds have changed so much as well. I know years ago when I quit smoking everyone warned me I would gain weight because food would start tasting much better once I could taste and smell it :)

nowonder Thu, Dec-18-03 19:44

I've experienced the same thing! It's nice to be able to smell.

--nw

GabrielleG Thu, Dec-18-03 19:50

Hmm I seem to be able to smell my own breath now and this is not always a good thing.

Gabrielle

Bonzlee Thu, Dec-18-03 21:51

Gabrielle, you're funny! Thank heaven I haven't encountered that problem yet. Give it time!!

judyr Thu, Dec-18-03 21:58

I not only have a better sense of smell, but DH says I have stopped snoring! Must have been allergies.

reneeg1 Thu, Dec-18-03 22:14

I noticed this too, my perfume smells wonderful!

BlitzedAng Fri, Dec-19-03 05:56

Ohhh yes.Even my scented candles smell stronger,hehehe.I now like the flavors of food I never would have ate before lc.

jqp Fri, Dec-19-03 10:04

I noticed less sinus problems after losing some of my weight.

I suspected food allergies were diminished.

I also wonder if i decresed some fat around my sinus area ( I can see a loss of fat in my face and head ). Anyone know the "fat anatomy" of the head?

GabrielleG Fri, Dec-19-03 11:10

Oh wait, kidding aside JudyR reminded me that I also seem to have stoped snoring after about two months into the WOL. That could be linked to the whole improved sense of smell too.

Gabrielle

SpydrMonke Fri, Dec-19-03 14:03

I find I'm much more sensitive to smell. I was at the mall the other day trying to finish my Christmas shopping; walked past a Mrs. Fields/TCBY shop and actually got nauseous. It was really weird. I don't think it was a psychosomatic thing either.. I wasn't a sugar eater before this WOL. The sickly sweet smell really bothered me.

costello22 Mon, Jan-08-07 15:25

I'm having this exact same experience. I have always had a losy sense of smell. After a month and a half on Atkins, I'm constantly smelling things I wasn't aware of before.

Anyone else?

dhania Mon, Jan-08-07 15:28

well I've always had a very good sense of smell and so I cannot vote for an improved ability, but absolutely on the sinusitis thing (which for me is related to wheat and dairy anyway). And yes, the smell of cheap fats and sugar and artificial flavoring from bakery shops makes me nauseous.

dhania

jay_cee Mon, Jan-08-07 15:28

Me too!

I've noticed that both my sense of smell & taste have improved dramatically. And yes, I've noticed the breath thing too :lol:

Jo

Petrina31 Mon, Jan-08-07 15:28

Hmmm, I never noticed a change in my sense of smell. But I did stop having sinus infections- which was a huge benefit considering I used to get them 1-2 times per month before lcing. I've had one since going off the Atkins wagon too which was extra incentive to get back on.