Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sushi? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=88171)

me4bama Fri, Feb-21-03 16:05

Sushi?

I LOVE sushi and today I bought some picled ginger sushi.
Does anyone know the carb content?
I can't seem to find any info on this.
Thanks!

me4bama Fri, Feb-21-03 16:06

uh, that's pickled! sorry!

geel Fri, Feb-21-03 16:52

maybe check this out

go to www.fitday.com register i don't think it takes long, then type in sushi where it says search it gives 6 or 7 versions of prepared sushi. Looks a little high in carbs to me but it will probably depend on how much you plan to eat. I think they mostly base their portions in cups. Hope that helps. Fitday is great to keep track of you daily intakes! :) Ellen

theresa113 Fri, Feb-21-03 16:54

I went to MSN and typed in pickled ginger. OMG... I think you need to watch out for that stuff. Several links to recipes on how to make it. THEY ALL CONTAIN SUGAR. Here is a link to one site:

http://japanesefood.about.com/library/recipe/blgari.htm

Sounds like a food to avoid. There was a post done on here about a month ago about saki. The sum of the post was that saki is also high in carbs.

Sorry to give you the bad news. :(

JAV Fri, Feb-21-03 17:05

ewwwww that stuff gives me poopy pants

me4bama Fri, Feb-21-03 18:31

Thanks to everyone!
Ok, no more pickled ginger!
It's not the same as rolled sushi(with rice, veggies, seaweed,ect.)
but it does have the "S" word (sugar) in in it ! :mad:
It is very yummy, though!
That's ok, I'd rather have a cheeseburger, anyway! :yum:
Thanks again!

jplush76 Fri, Feb-21-03 18:32

I miss sushi :(

good lord do I miss it, DAMN YOU DR. ATKINS! DAMN YOU!!!!
(homer simpson voice)

JAV Fri, Feb-21-03 18:40

Quote:
Originally posted by jplush76
I miss sushi :(

good lord do I miss it, DAMN YOU DR. ATKINS! DAMN YOU!!!!
(homer simpson voice)

are we talking about that raw stuff??

red1cutie Fri, Feb-21-03 18:41

I loveeeeee sushi!!!!!!!

I did not think it was allowed though. Too bad :mad: .

red

Karen Fri, Feb-21-03 20:12

Quote:
Ok, no more pickled ginger!

Most of the pickled ginger I see here has aspartame in it. I don't think I've ever seen it with sugar.

Another type of pickled ginger that has no sweetness comes in short, red strands. The actual name escapes me now, but it begins with a "K". It's punchier and IMHO a lot tastier than the sushi ginger.

Karen

butrf1yb1u Fri, Feb-21-03 20:34

Haha JAV...if you say it gives you poopy pants wouldnt you know what it was that gave you ...the poopy pants?? lol...you follow your first post with a question on what this sushi stuff is. LOL. :p

ya know Im part asian and I have never had sushi. What I have had is very yummy and its called kim bop...its sesame oil, salt n pepper & sesame seed seasoned rice, with pickled radish, strips of steak, lightly blanched spinach, strips of nicely thin egg (egg thats cooked like an really thin omlette then sliced)rolled up in nori and sliced sushi style :yum: ..and uh wheres the drool face icon? hehehe.

Im hoping on OWL I can experiment using the above ingredients but substituing the rice with finely chopped cooked cauliflower or mashed cauliflower. I imagine just making kim bop with other cooked veggies to substitute the rice would be tasty also.

Just thought I would mention this ....because I suspect the pickled radish would be a lot less carbs than the ginger but I would have to check for ya.

Man I want some kim bop now......OWL cant get here soon enough. lol

BB

Karen Fri, Feb-21-03 20:50

Quote:
Im hoping on OWL I can experiment using the above ingredients but substituing the rice with finely chopped cooked cauliflower or mashed cauliflower.

Why don't you eat the toppings minus the rice or cauliflower all rolled up in nori? You would get all the wonderful flavours and be within induction limits.

It does sound very yummy indeed. Too bad I just had dinner, or I would make this! :)

Karen

JAV Fri, Feb-21-03 22:12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by butrf1yb1u
[B]Haha JAV...if you say it gives you poopy pants wouldnt you know what it was that gave you ...the poopy pants?? lol...you follow your first post with a question on what this sushi stuff is. LOL. :p

LOL I meant the ginger...and Im not sure if I have had sushi or not..if its the raw stuff I tasted it once

butrf1yb1u Fri, Feb-21-03 22:14

ahhhhhhh...i c

yes sushi is raw :)

oakejs Fri, Feb-21-03 22:29

Not all of it is raw. I used to eat at a Japanese resturant where I live and I ordered Futomaki, which is just rice and egg and some vegetables rolled up in the seaweed. There are also Califorjia rolls, ones with chicked inside (cooked of course), and other kinds. Some sushi has raw fish on top of the rice but not all. Sashimi is raw fish.