Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Tingling Tongue? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131768)

JACQUIE UK Wed, Aug-20-03 03:24

Tingling Tongue?

The last four days Ive had a really funny feeling on my tongue!! :lol:
Dont laugh!!
It tastes kind of metalic. Kind of like Ive just burnt it on a really hot drink? But I havent!! :confused:

Does this sound vaguely like ketosis to anyone?
I have never used the strip things, but I did wonder if it could be!
Sure it shouldnt be though, because I am having lost of carbs
at my rm. :yum:

Please let me know any ideas :help:

Thanks
Jacquie

Tess M Wed, Aug-20-03 04:35

Jacque- I'd love to know the answer to this question, too! Years ago when I first started taking (lots of) meds for hypertension, I had that taste in my mouth all the time! I was pretty ill at the time, and was losing weight like crazy (ended up at 118, which is small for me). Just generally unwell due to adjustments to meds. I asked the doctor about it several times, and he didn't have an answer (except to treat me as if it was all in my imagination)... Eventually adjusted, and started feeling well again, but from time to time the taste comes back for a few days. I always thought it was related to the meds, but now I wonder if it might be related to the rapid weight loss, change in foods, or as you mentioned-ketosis... Hmmm, it will be interesting to hear what others think... Thanks for bringing it up. Tess.....

Zuleikaa Wed, Aug-20-03 09:10

It probably is ketosis. Some CADers get into ketosis better than they ever did on Atkins due to the control of insulin. Remember, CAD fools your body that the carbs at RM aren't there.

KittenLady Wed, Aug-20-03 10:07

Hi, I agree with the possibility of ketosis. Unless you get other symptoms, you're probably OK.

If you get any other symptoms, it could also be an allergic reaction. I get that if I eat certain nuts, from my tongue swelling, but I get other symptoms later. Other symptoms would be stomach/intestinal cramps or trouble breathing/wheezing. In those cases, take Benadryl or, if more severe, get medical help quickly.

If you only have unusual taste and feeling like you have a sweater on your tongue, it's probably just ketosis, or a medicine or food you are ingesting. I'm going to see my MD this morning, so I can ask her.

JACQUIE UK Wed, Aug-20-03 10:25

Wow!!
If this really is ketosis Im really impressed with CAD!
Ive been having tons of carbs at rm!
i have no other complaints and I am not taking any new medication.
Once again, WOW!!!

KittenLady Wed, Aug-20-03 14:49

Hi, isn't this a cool WOE? I just love it! :thup: My Dr agreed with the ketosis idea if you're not on meds. Some antibiotics can have that effect. She was ecstatic over my weight loss, and my blood pressure was... 120/80! :Party:

Saweetie Wed, Aug-20-03 19:19

Today I was experiencing that same tingling type feeling....thanks for all the insight...it kinda makes sense now!