Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   cauliflower mashed "potatoes" HELP! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132164)

spryng Thu, Aug-21-03 16:57

cauliflower mashed "potatoes" HELP!

I have seen a recipe for mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower but for the life of me I can't seem to find it now. I would really love to try it. If you know of the recipe I'm talking about can you direct me to it or post it here?? TIA

Annie-Pie Thu, Aug-21-03 17:12

Try typing in "mock mashed potatoes" on search from this forum.
Also: Go to Reader's Recipes on this forum.
What you do is boil cauliflower and drain it very, very well. Mash with an electric mixer. Add cream cheese, a little whip cream or half and half. Season to taste. I add a little shredded cheese to it as well.

Hope you like it! One bad thing: The family will complain about the stinkiness!
Annie

HipsGalore Thu, Aug-21-03 17:15

I'd like recipe also. I kinda made up one myself with boiled cauliflower, sour cream, butter parsley and garlic pulsed in my food processor. Was delicious and well within carb count.!

Linda Love Thu, Aug-21-03 19:02

Go to the Atkins' Center website. That's where I got it. I don't know it by heart, but you could steam the califlower in a steamer (sometimes boiling burns the bottom) until super soft, add some heavy cream, a pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper, and wa-lah. You can also use the Thick n' Thin Not Starch stirred in meat drippings and the crunchies left behind add a little water and simmer until thick. Pour it over your "taters."

etoiles Sun, Aug-24-03 15:51

I like mock mashed potatoes the lazy way. :) And the way during a hot summer. We microwave the cauliflower until very soft and hot and then put in food processor with cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper.

That became my husband's number one favorite low carb side dish!!

On really lazy days or when there was no cauliflower in the grocery store we used frozen - then you don't even have to chop it! :wiggle:

Linda Love Sun, Aug-24-03 22:03

Good idea! I never thought of nuking it or the cream cheese. I can hardly wait to try it. Thanx!

pltrygeist Sun, Aug-24-03 22:17

There is talk about a low carb recipe being made commercial fast food restaurants. Reduced carb french fries which contain cauliflower.

Anyone hear about it?

Linda Love Sun, Aug-24-03 22:41

Nope, but a potato is a potato is a potato. Step away from the spuds...SAVE YOURSELF!

pltrygeist Sun, Aug-24-03 23:24

Bottom line it's a step in the right direction...and it contains very little potato from my understanding.

Linda Love Mon, Aug-25-03 08:32

I suppose if you are on the Lifetime Maintenance phase and workout regularly (3-5x per week) it wouldn't affect you.

Go get yo spud then!

StarStuff Thu, Aug-28-03 21:27

I tried to make mock mashed potatoes tonight and they were awful. I cooked about two cups of cauliflower in a couple of TBS of water in a covered casserole on high in the microwave for 10 minutes. It was still kind of firm when I mashed it with a fork, so I gave it another five, then another two, and they still weren't mushy but there were some dark brown areas that seemed burned in some of it so I didn't want to cook it any more.

It was very dry so I didn't drain it; I put it in a food processor with two ounces of cream cheese and two slices of American cheese, and a little splash of heavy cream. There wasn't enough in the processor bowl, so after a few revolutions the blades were just whirring around and the cauliflower mixture was all against the sides of the bowl. I didn't want to haul out the mixer at this point and the rest of my dinner was ready to eat and getting cold.

The mixture was way too rich, and had a "ricey" texture. Maybe I could use the cauliflower cooked that way just plain and mashed up with a fork to mimic rice. But this first attempt at "mashed potatoes" was a disaster. I'm so disappointed, too -- I was really hoping, from what everybody said, that even if the flavor was a bit different, at least the texture would be smooth like mashed potatoes.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just that that's how cauliflower comes out when it's cooked?

Gina :cry: