Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Halloween Holiday Horror (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142673)

ICountToo Mon, Oct-13-03 17:04

Halloween Holiday Horror

Ok - so this is something some of you may be facing. My DH's boss has invited us to a halloween costume party. I want to go and want to participate but after checking for costumes it is clear that I won't fit in the "adult" size that are on the shelf. I looked on line for something but really can not pay 50 + dollars for a costume. I checked into renting one - but uh - no they didn't have anything plus size except the blow-up sumo (Sp?) wrestler and I am NOT going in that.

This party will be held around a camp fire and we sit out on logs or in yard chair - it isn't a very fancy thing - but is a very social night for the "company" people.

So - does anyone in the triple digit club have any suggestions for a plus-size costume that I can make or put together on a shoe-string budget?

I know this is a silly question but I thought someone here might understand and be able to help.

Thanks.

MKay Mon, Oct-13-03 17:36

Maybe you could go as a cat-wear all black and paint your face with one of those face painting kits. You could stuff a black nylon stocking for a tail?? Make some black ears out of felt and glue on a head band if you can't find one already done. Paint a cat face with white and black paint. Wear black gloves.
I don't get into Halloween too much and I can't see buying/renting a costume for a lot $$$. I am sure there are alot of creative Low carbers out there that will probably have better ideas, but maybe this will get you started?? Have fun!!
MKay

Sunslyte Mon, Oct-13-03 17:44

I hit the clearance rack at a favorite plus size shop -- I bought a long crinkle cotton black dress for $12.99 -- adding a $3 costume hat from a local craft store - and suddenly - I'm a witch.

If you have any gypsy inclinations that's pretty easy with a peasant blouse, a shawl and a full skirt.

MisterE Mon, Oct-13-03 19:49

Local Thrift store and buy X-L mens clothes and oversized shoes or boots. Since you are going to be outside it will probably be cool. For under 10 bucks you should be able to come up with a decent "Charlie Chaplin" outfit that is warm and cheap. A little face-black for a moustache and you are all set. Hell, if you are really into it buy a santa beard and put it on with the oversized clothes and if anyone asks what you ARE just tell them: it's a MisterE to me!

crysania Mon, Oct-13-03 23:58

I always go over board for Halloween its my favorite holiday (and just about the only one i even do anything for) i have done a few looks....
gypsy - with clothes from my own closet for the most part.. a broom skirt and pesent top with a pair of bit hoop earrings this cost me about 40 bucks when i bought the items
witch - with a white streak in my dark hair, dark lipstick & nails and a floor length black dress and a few pentagrams here and there this cost about 70 (expensive dress!)
renaissance lady - a velvet dress in a medieval style.. a sequined headdress with half the hair pulled loosely back .. with some delicate jewelry that i had just laying around this cost me about 200 (again a costly dress)
this year i am going stereo typical goth girl and i have spent like about 150 bucks for the accories for this look - two hair bunches about shoulder length, alot of chain mail jewelry a blue velvet dress with a jagged hemline and a laced up front, fishnet hose and big stompy boots (that will make me 6'6" lol)
but anyways, if you go to goodwill you can normally find some nice very ideas lurking in the form of every day clothes (or not so everyday if its an evening dress lol) :)
Crysania

Plagiomom Tue, Oct-14-03 07:17

Last year I went as a little girl. I bought flanel ducky pj's, wore my doggy slippers, put my hair in pig tails (mismatched pony tail holders), painted freckles on my face and carried a big teddy bear. The whole thing cost me like $15 for the flanel Pj's.

The year before that I went as a bed-wraggled house wife/mom. Wore mismatched pj's, a robe stuffed with things like bottles, stuffed animals, papers with things like "Electric Bill" written big across the top in the pockets with the belt trailing behind me.., wore one shoe and one slipper, had one half of my hair done - the other all nappy....make up on one side of my face, and not the other....and basically just walked around confused. It actually went very well --- I did that costume once before and one a prize for "most orginal costume" :lol: Both times the costume cost me nothing. :)

~Jaya

big_mama Tue, Oct-14-03 09:21

I made my children mummy costumes one year. I just bought cheap white material, cut it into strips, then hot glued it to old clothes. Very cute! :)

maryc Tue, Oct-14-03 09:36

I went one year as a Bee Keeper. Got some bibed overalls and a hat and put some netting around the hat and painted some big freckles on my cheeks. It came out pretty good! :)

mudknife Tue, Oct-14-03 11:44

You could pretend to be an absentee employee and not show.lol

pixy_nixy Tue, Oct-14-03 12:25

I think witch is the easiest, I've gone that a couple years. Black shirt, Black skirt, black nylons, Big black clunky shoes.
I can find all that in my closet. Buy a $5 witches hat. Add some makeup and there you go. Same thing works pretty much for a vampress. Add bright red lipstick, black eyeliner and fake canines.
A farmer. If you have overalls in your closet. Get a straw hat. Put those handheld shovels and rake things you use for gardening in the back pocket as well as some long grass. I thin rubber boots would complete the outfit, but shoes are fine.
A little kid is easy. Mascara to make your eyes look big and freckles.
Almost every year I look in my closet first and create something and then buy maybe twenty dollars or less of acessories.
Hope it helps! :)

letsgo Tue, Oct-14-03 16:37

I'm going as the Excorist girl. I'm going to Walmart and buying a flannel nightgown and wearing it backwards!! Cheap and easy!! Well then there's makeup and pea soup for vomit......

mikemcginn Wed, Oct-15-03 08:35

I'm thinking of going as Baby Huey. Diaper from sheet, really big rattler. with a bald wig. Maybe
a teddy bear.

fishie48 Wed, Oct-15-03 10:09

For the kids parties, I always wore black leggings, the biggest black sweater/turtleneck I could find. A skull necklace and a colorful witches hat. You won't win a contest but you will be a team player and confortable.

jayhawkmom Wed, Oct-15-03 14:29

When I was room mother for my DD 4th grade class I made a witches costume from some clearance black material. Long simple dress with bell sleeves (didn't even use a pattern, just sewed up the sides). A cape from the same material and an inexpensive witches hat from Walmart. I took some of the red drapery cord with the tassel ends that was on the clearance table and made a belt for the dress. Took a couple yards of black net material, cut a round hole in it and put over the cone of the hat for a veil. I spent less than $20.00 total and 2 hrs. putting it together. The kids loved it because they couldn't see my face under the veil, but I could see out. I still have it and wear it on occassion and my daughter is a freshman in college. I've also had people beg to borrow it. A friend wore a sweat outfit (white or black would do) and got a huge clear trash bag, cut a hole for head and arms, stuffed it full of small blown up balloons and tied the bottom shut around her hips. She was a gumball machine! IF you are going with someone, one person dress in all white, the other in all black. Put a big black letter S on the front of white outfit and a big white letter P on the front of the black outfit. Make cardboard hats, paint them gold or silver and put holes in the tops and you have a set of salt and pepper shakers.

Do an on-line search for halloween costumes and you can find some sights that specialize in inexpensive ideas. I think Better Homes (bhg.com) and Home and Garden TV (hgtv.com) had some neat ideas last year.

Good luck,
Deb

DWRolfe Wed, Oct-15-03 15:07

It's not a silly question at all!

You could always go with an inexpensive white sheet and accessories from a craft store--TOGA TOGA TOGA!

A gypsy would be fairly easy too and would allow for flowing skirt etc. that would make it easy to move around and sit by a fire. Or buy a white sheet, dye it green, make a torch, buy one of those foam hats and go as Lady Liberty!

You have options. Just remember to take pictures for the TDC!

Have fun!

Donald