Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Will dieruetics hurt just for today? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121468)

retrochiq Wed, Jul-09-03 10:12

Will dieruetics hurt just for today?

Hi everyone,
I wrote a post earlier talking about my awful cravings and the fact that it's that TOM and I've packed on 5lbs.. :cry: ...Anyways, I AM BACK ON TRACK :yay: However, tonite I have a party to go to and I feel so bloated, do you think taking some water pills today will have a negative effect (like postponing fat burning, etc.) on me later as I have never taken these before....yes, ok...I do want a quick fix to shed some bloatiness just for tonite....but I will not make a habit of it.....does this make sense at all...? I hope so...
Thanks,
Jess

retrochiq Wed, Jul-09-03 10:13

sorry I spelled diuretics wrong...

tag Wed, Jul-09-03 10:42

I wish I could say for sure. I know in Atkins book it says diuretics raise your blood sugar level and insulin levels, which would technically effect weight loss. But I think this would be for someone who is on them day after day, because Atkins is talking about people with high blood pressure who have to take diuretics. (like myself). So far this diet hasn't lowered my blood pressure so I'm stuck with taking meds. I would think that taking a diuretic would be similar to eating too many carbs which would spike your blood sugar level. Once you stop, it'll correct itself. This is just my conclusion!
Tricia

retrochiq Wed, Jul-09-03 10:47

thanks for your response. I am desperate and I think I will take 2 pills today...but I wondered if drinking gallons of water today would get rid of my bloating but I think that will take too long...
Thanks again,
Jess

Shellyf34 Wed, Jul-09-03 10:55

I would go with the water flush! The Atkins diet is diuretic in and of itself, so taking water pills could dehydrate you too much, and you could retain even more in the long run.

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-09-03 10:55

Atkins is a naturaly duretic diet, adding water pills on could be dangerous for some. What you can try in the future is drinking green tea during the day, drinking alot more water, and cutting back on sodium. TOM does make for water retention, but if you keep drinking your water even more and watch salt you can cut it down quite a bit.

Zuleikaa Wed, Jul-09-03 12:07

You could get some natural apple cider vinegar from the health food store and take 1 tsp. in 8 oz. water twice a day, upon arizing and before bed. It helps to eliminate excess water and has no carbs.

retrochiq Wed, Jul-09-03 12:33

wow, thanks for all the great advice everyone....no wonder I am on here so much...all the great support and advice...!!!!
Jess

LovableLC Wed, Jul-09-03 18:56

I take prescribed diuretics and have had absolutely no problem or effect. My blood sugar stays the same, and the weight loss is the same.

pre3teach Wed, Jul-09-03 19:46

I read that potassium and parsely are natural diuretics. I bought some potassium today. I retain water horribly. I think you can buy herbal pills that do the same thing without stimulants. I need to increase my water too...that will help. But these things may not work quickly.

Kathy54 Wed, Jul-09-03 19:48

Sorry, but at your weight, 118, useing water pills to get rid of a bloating feeling is not too smart ! That is not what those pills are for, and if you have never taken them before, how did you get them?? Where I live it's a prescription drug. As well, when taking them you must drink lots of water, which in it's self should give you the same, but safer results, esp if they are not your pills! Not to mention you will be running to the bathroom all day and night!! How fun is that?

Cheers Kathy