Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Does Anyone Know Why.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94464)

UAGirl Tue, Mar-25-03 09:19

Does Anyone Know Why....

Does anyone happen to know why some people call it Atkins and some people refer to it as Adkins? I know Dr. Atkins' name is with a "t" but why do I see so many people saying Adkins?

Surely all those people can't be spelling it wrong....?? Is it this way in another country? :q:

Alina Tue, Mar-25-03 09:23

Hi,

beats me, been wondering myself.....*mystery*
I really admire your progress, WOW! You must feel just great.
Take care!
Alina

Natrushka Tue, Mar-25-03 09:25

Pronounce it really fast. Try pronouncing "water" really fast while you're at it.

North Americans flap their t's - making them sound like d's. The difference between a T and a D is the use of your vocal chords- you use them for the D and you don't for the T. It's the same for P's and B's.

We (North American's) tend to alter our 't' sounds in many ways - how many people do you know who pronounce "kitten" or "button" with both t's? most of us say "ki-en" or "bu-un".

The Brits do it with their A's (So do East Coastnerners in the US) and Aisans tend to mix up their L and Rs (the liquids)

Nat

Alina Tue, Mar-25-03 09:29

Natrushka, thank you for solving the mystery ....
Does that mean those people only HEARD of ADKINS and never read a book by ATKINS??? *scary*
alina

UAGirl Tue, Mar-25-03 10:01

Hmmmm,

Being from Mass I should have known...LOL :D

Crimson Tue, Mar-25-03 14:22

Visited this site the other day.... and was completely thrown off by the spelling of Atkins... makes me a little less confident about the site itself.

http://www.peaknutrition.com/proteinrecipes.html

KoKo Tue, Mar-25-03 15:38

I think Nats answer is so cute

:D First time I have ever heard a technical explanation for a mispronuciation :D I would love to have her analyze my Husband - ;)

mommatbird Tue, Mar-25-03 15:41

Sortof on the subject but a little off. Here in Tulsa, we have a HFS called Akin's and they sell Atkin's products. When I tell someone where I am going, I have to think over the silly sentence in my head so as to not mix up the words!

Peabug Tue, Mar-25-03 15:43

Crimson, that *is* kind of scary! I've wondered the same thing about the t/d discrepancy but assumed like Alina said, that maybe they've just heard it and haven't actually seen it in print (which raises a whole other question about reading the book, but I don't think we'll go there ;) ).

Natrushka Tue, Mar-25-03 16:19

Just chalk it up to one more of "things you learn in university". The lexicon of the language we speak is a living thing, it changes over time, albeit slowly, and reflects the times we live in - the whole d/t thing is one of those changes happening.

Quote:
Does that mean those people only HEARD of ADKINS and never read a book by ATKINS???
People following a plan they haven't read? *Gasp* No way! :rolleyes:

N

AussieGirl Tue, Mar-25-03 17:17

........and over here in "Orrrstraaalia"..........

just kidding, we Aussies pronounce it Atkins, and (of course) have all read the books!! ;)

Rosebud Tue, Mar-25-03 18:08

Right on, AussieGirl! :lol:

We "Astrayans" (pronunciation as per several cricket commentators!) are pretty much perfect. And humble. :p

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

PS: Great reasoning there, Nat. I just assumed we had a lot of dyslexics.

paradise Tue, Mar-25-03 18:14

Crimson, I, too went to that site yesterday and saw "Adkins" and gave it a second thought credibility-wise.

FionaC Tue, Mar-25-03 18:15

But we do usually throw in a "mate" for good measure :D

eg "I'm following that Dr Atkins, mate" :D :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

:D Fiona :D

KoKo Tue, Mar-25-03 19:42

Nat

would this be why some people say Veehickles and others say Veeickls???