Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   The annoying part of Storebought (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132499)

spotana Fri, Aug-22-03 23:00

The annoying part of Storebought

Hello everyone,

I have a question...I started Induction and I understand what I can and can't have, however, I am not a cook, I am very picky, and even though some people assume, that LC'ng is not for me, I don't usually back down from a challange. My main problem is...well let's use Deli Chicken; you know the stuff i'm talking about; that rotissere whole chicken they have at your local grocery store, you'd think "I could eat myself stupid!" yet, the ingredience they use for flavoring those chickens don't seem like something that should be eating while maintaining a low carb intake. Am I wrong to assume this, the stores don't put nutritional labels on these, and it seems all the different flavor, i.e. BBQ, Lemon Pepper, Original, all seem to have some ingredience that I would question...including sugar. Can anyone clue me in on this phenomenon. I mean, does anyone else eat this stuff as part of a low-carb intake?

Thank You in advance!

Robbie :read2:

RCFletcher Sat, Aug-23-03 02:53

I think the actual amont of sugar you'd be eating is very small. I'd just go for ones that are not obviuosly sweet. If in doubt don't eat the skin. Even better, buy chickens and learn how to roast them yourself. LCing is a great motivator to improve your cooking skills!

Kristine Sat, Aug-23-03 10:03

I wasn't a cook when I started out, too, but I cook all the time now. :thup:

I don't worry about the occasional deli chicken, but it's occasional. It's still best to be in control of ingredients - I think you'll want to learn to cook. :thup:

potatofree Sat, Aug-23-03 11:30

I try to stay clear of things like that unless I can pin someone down who can tell me EXACTLY what's in it.
Luckily, there ARE alternatives. For the quick and convenient chicken supper, my Mom swears by her George forman grill. She says it's hardly like "cooking" at all.

Personally, I've found a few pre-packaged meats that will do in a pinch, but I prefer to get my cooking "over with" by frying, baking, or grilling a BIG quantity of chicken or turkey and refigerating and/or freezing it in ziplock bags. I make it plain, then when I pull it out I can season it to suit my mood or the type of food I'm having it with.

Schwan's has some precooked chicken that is delivered frozen to your door, if you have them in your area. They have complete nutrition info on their website, so you know what you're getting. schwans.com

acipenser Sat, Aug-23-03 12:56

i eat those chickens alot when traveling. they are great to bring back to the motel room. i don't think i would wory about the spices, there is usually not a lot on them. and it is better then other pre-cooked choices.

spotana Sat, Aug-23-03 18:26

Well see, I LOVE that type of chicken but I never have the time to cook, i'm always on the road; I guess that's why I haven't really learned, and I have a thing about handling raw poultry (which I guess I have to get over too);)

BTW, does anyone have any good sides that would go good with the deli type of chicken?

Thanks in Advance!

Robbie :yay:

potatofree Sat, Aug-23-03 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotana
Well see, I LOVE that type of chicken but I never have the time to cook, i'm always on the road; I guess that's why I haven't really learned, and I have a thing about handling raw poultry (which I guess I have to get over too);)

BTW, does anyone have any good sides that would go good with the deli type of chicken?

Thanks in Advance!

Robbie :yay:

Not that don't require cooking.. there's a cauliflower-based mock potato salad that I love. I can't think of any deli sides that are low-carb other than salad. There are tons of easy to make sides in the recipe forum, or another good site lowcarbluxury.com

acipenser Sat, Aug-23-03 20:58

i usually just buy a package of salad and some ranch dressing. if the motel room has a fridge i have a meal for a couple of days...