Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Weight gain after 8 months of Atkins! Need advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182610)

Kalikoe Wed, May-05-04 11:13

Weight gain after 8 months of Atkins! Need advice

My boyfriend and I have been following Atkins for about 8 months now. We love the lifestyle, and could easily eat this way forever. I've only lost about 20lbs, but as long as it keeps coming off, i'm happy. My BF however..has been having problems. Sorry if this gets too long :) When we first started atkins, he was losing weight slowly, but steadily. He was very happy, he loves all the food and after years of low fat, he could finally eat again! He lost about 10 lbs in the first 4 or 5 months, and was happy so far with it. But then, all of a sudden in the last 3 months, he started gaining it back. He didn't go off the diet or change the way he was eating. We can't find a single thing he was doing differently. He raised his calories, and after about a month of gaining more weight, Eventually he started to lower his calories again, and he's down to 1600 now (which i think is low) but he's still gaining the weight back. He's now actually UP 5 lbs from when we started the diet 8 months ago! He's started to get really upset and discouraged. He's very strict with following the diet, doens't eat the sugar-free chocolates or bars, or even any low carb resturant food (ie subways or ruby tuesdays). He works out 6 days a week. 6 cardios a week with 3 heavy lifting days. And he still doens't lose weight! A sample menu would be:

B: 2-3 eggs, 1/8 cups cheddar, 3 strips bacon
L: Often the same as breakfast or maybe a big salad w/broccoli
S: Chicken Thighs/Breast w/salad. Or maybe Pork roast or baked Meatballs with scant amount of sauce and some cheese. Occassionally chicken wings
Snack: some pieces of cheese or brocolli and ranch

Thats about it..he doesn't vary his menu very much. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I can't think of anything else to try. My last suggestion was for him to try a fat fast before he gives up. Any and all help would be greatly appreticated!

-Kali

Kristine Wed, May-05-04 11:37

>>"He works out 6 days a week. 6 cardios a week with 3 heavy lifting days."

Could it be muscle gain?

What are his measurements like?

Kalikoe Wed, May-05-04 11:43

He swears its not muscle gain (i've asked him this a hundred times too!). I don't know his exact measurements, but his clothes are all getting too small again, so i don't think he's losing inches. He's always worked out 6 days a week too. You'd think he'd be burning calories like mad

-Kali

poisinivy Wed, May-05-04 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalikoe
He lost about 10 lbs in the first 4 or 5 months, and was happy so far with it. But then, all of a sudden in the last 3 months, he started gaining it back. He's now actually UP 5 lbs from when we started the diet 8 months ago! He works out 6 days a week. 6 cardios a week with 3 heavy lifting days. And he still doens't lose weight!
-Kali

Are his clothes fitting him tightly, has his measurements increased, has he actually gotten larger or has he just gained weight as in pounds..........because I don't know what anyone else is thinking but with that workout it sounds like he's gained muscle mass which weighs quite a bit more than fat.

Cecelia

poisinivy Wed, May-05-04 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalikoe
his clothes are all getting too small again, so i don't think he's losing inches.
-Kali

I'd suggest he seek the advice of a doctor......I've never heard of someone following the plan and gaining fat weight, maybe muscle mass from weight training.

Kalikoe Wed, May-05-04 12:06

He originally lost about 10 lbs, and now he's gained 15 overall. He swears up and down that the weight gain has been all in his stomach, and its his pants that are all getting too small. He's always been very active at the gym, and has always been battling to lose weight that doesn't seem to want to come off. I've suggested that he go to the doctor/nutritionist too..but you know guys.. :rolleyes:

wwdimmitt Wed, May-05-04 12:31

Something does not compute.

Maybe sign up for a food audit, and exercise audit for a month to get some objective facts to work with??

sharann Wed, May-05-04 13:06

Is he sneaking food behind your back? Otherwise have him get tested for thyroid and other labs maybe. That much exercise and he can't get into his pants doesn't make any sense to me either.

laureninva Wed, May-05-04 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharann
Is he sneaking food behind your back? Otherwise have him get tested for thyroid and other labs maybe. That much exercise and he can't get into his pants doesn't make any sense to me either.

My thoughts exactly....please don't get offended, but are you sure that he's being completely honest with you, and himself about what he's eating? It just doesnt make sense based on the menu you posted...I could understand a stall, or a muscle gain, but to be gaining weight to the point where clothes are not fitting, just doesn't add up....unless there is a medical problem.

Moonwalker Wed, May-05-04 16:43

i think he needs to up his carbs and move into OWL. It looks from that menu like he is still doing induction level. I rememeber when i was doing induction i would go up a pound, and it was difficult to maintain. Ive upped my carbs and fiber a lot and now i have to try really hard to keep from losing weight.. it comes off so easy *knock on wood* - Tell him to give that a shot.. up his carbs with some low-carb bread and maybe some fruits and other things like that.