Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   breakfast ideas, anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33502)

kjjmom66 Sat, Feb-09-02 21:57

breakfast ideas, anyone?

I've been on induction exactly 2 weeks today. I can't look at another egg! I can't even smell bacon anymore without wanting to be sick! I need more breakfast ideas. Does anyone have original ideas excluding eggs or bacon?

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

:help:

KarenB Sat, Feb-09-02 23:58

Eat backwards

You know, nothing says you *must* consume bacon and eggs for breakfast.

What about having a burger with a slice of American cheese? Or some cold steak with a splash of Worcestershire and a little Parmesan? Or good ol' sausage patties with a dollop of sour cream?

moonmist Sun, Feb-10-02 00:17

yeah, you dont have to go for "standard" breakfast ideas. who says you cant have the same kinda things you have at lunch for breakfast? try eating some tuna w/ mayo, some salami and cheese, some sausage, different lunchmeats, etc. or even your leftovers from the night before. use your imagination hehe. :D

kjjmom66 Sun, Feb-10-02 07:00

Hey, thank you for the ideas. You're right... I could even have some poached salmon with pesto butter.... hmmm... I can taste it now.

I know this may sound ridiculous, but what is American cheese? Being Canadian, I don't know what kind of cheese that is. Is it processed slices wrapped in plastic?

:hyper:

KarenB Sun, Feb-10-02 07:35

GAH! Not Processed, thanks!

"American" cheese is a cheddarlike variety, but it's less "bity," more mild in flavor. It's sold in bricks or in slices. I buy mine in packaged slices, but *not* the ones that are individually wrapped. Overpackaging is one of my economic/ecological bugaboos. :) You could certainly substitute *any* cheese for it, as long as it's not *processed!*

Yes, you can *get* American processed cheese, but that's got more carbs in it than "natural" cheese. I don't claim to know what they do to it, but it adds carbs to a food that has practically none in its natural state. I never was fond of processed cheese (or even better, "processed cheese food"--what does cheese *eat* anyway???) to begin with. Now I have a perfect reason *not* to buy it! :)

So, the corrolary to my answer to your real question is: Use whatever kind of cheese you like to have on burgers; substitutions are allowed! :D

kjjmom66 Sun, Feb-10-02 07:50

Ok! I hate processed cheese.. it's like melted plastic. Way too artificial for me. We have mild cheddar here, so I'll use that.

Has anyone tried that flax-o-meal stuff? I wonder if it's any good. I suppose I could try that for breakfast too, eh?

KarenB Sun, Feb-10-02 07:57

FlaxOMeal is a GIFT!!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Um... sure, I've tried it. It's ok. :lol:

Honest to Pete, I *love* it. I've tried every flavor they make and of course I got hooked on the chocolate, which is now discontinued. (I have a little hoard of it, though.... it's precious as gold.) I just finished my bowl of butter pecan with Splenda and heavy cream and a tablespoon of butter! YUM!!!!

Their pancake mix is tasty, too.

I've reviewed FlaxOMeal in the FlaxOMeal thread over in Product Reviews--I don't know how to link you, or I would. I've also raved about it in my journal. G'wan and have a read if you're so inclined.

FlaxOMeal is a *lifesaver*--once you're off induction, that is. It's a no-no while you're doing that part of the plan.

Good eatin' to ya! :D

kjjmom66 Sun, Feb-10-02 08:40

Hey, thanks!

Now I just have to figure out where I can buy the stuff here in Canada. So much more is a vailable to you Americans than here!

Thanks for the info. It sounds delicious!

Jess

KarenB Sun, Feb-10-02 08:45

Check the Products Forum

I *know* you Canucks can get the stuff somewhere; IslandGirl (Judy) runs a food co-op, IIRC, for that very reason. Go over to the Products Forum and poke around--I'm not sure where the threads are, but they're there. I know they are.

Best of luck to ya! :D

Victoria Sun, Feb-10-02 09:03

hi Jess,
Have you tried the Mock Danish? The recipe is somewhere around this forum. Doreen gave us a recipe for Muesli, and I found a recipe for Ricotta Pancakes in Fran McCullough's cookbook-The Low-Carb Cookbook. Both the Mock Danish and the Ricotta pancakes have eggs in them, but they give you a variety of types of food to eat. Now if any of that is allowed on Atkins, I don't know. But they are considered Low Carb. Check out the Low Carb Cookbooks in your public library. I found several. ;) Victoria