Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Aches and Pains (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=49139)

Jackthejug Sun, Jun-30-02 10:32

Aches and pains

I started the Atkins diet 5 days ago (Tuesday) Kept to 20 to 25 carbs, However Ive had a banging head ache for two days and aches in my legs and back, :wave: has any one else suffered from this ?
Should I stop the diet Please advise.
Jack Sheffield

Talon Sun, Jun-30-02 10:45

Jack,

Yep, sounds pretty normal to me. Most of us go through carbohydrate withdraw for the first several days. Some of the withdraws can be lack of energy, banging headaches. They will go away, trust us!

Have you been taking supplements? I've heard that some people get leg pains from a lack of potassium.

I've not had the back pain, except from my over doing it excercising. Possibly someone else will pop along with more information.

Lisa N Sun, Jun-30-02 13:20

Hi Jack!

Without more information, I'm taking a guess here, but it could be a couple of things. First...are you drinking a minimum of 64 oz of water a day? If you are it could be low potassium, which is very common when you first start low carbing. For the first two weeks at least, it's recommended that you supplement with potassium at 200-400 mg. a day along with a calcium/magnesium supplement. That's because the induction phase of the plan has a strong diuretic effect. Pair that with the fact that you are drinking a lot of water and it could mean that you are losing electrolytes. Try taking the potassium supplement along with the calcium/magnesium and see if you feel better in a day or two. Let us know how you're doing.

lilwannabe Sun, Jun-30-02 15:34

I felt crampy for the first few days...then had a migraine that lasted until day 8...not even my Imatrex could cure it, tho a cup of coffee did ease it up. I truely believe I suffered for so long just because my body was going through withdrawls from no sugar...( huge sugar addict here). Anyhow...day 13 today...and I am full of energy...and feel just great! Just give it a bit longer...and you will be feeling better than ever.

fiona Sun, Jun-30-02 17:11

Fairly normal I would say

The headache is usually a sign of carb-withdrawal. Often starts on day 2 and depending on the degree of your addiction lasts until the withdrawals subside.

A vitamin mineral supplement will help matters.

I would recommend at least a two week commitment before you decide whether LCing is for you. It's too early for you to be in a position to make a rational choice at this point.

Take care,

TeriDoodle Mon, Jul-01-02 07:20

Back is hurting??

I would like to address the issue of your back hurting.... If it persists, it would be very important for you to see a doctor as it could be indicative of a kidney problem. LCing does not cause kidney malfunction (as is hyped in the media) but can unmask pre-existing problems.

Make SURE you're drinking at least 64 oz of water per day.