Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Does anyone make LC sports drinks? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=424262)

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 08:28

Does anyone make LC sports drinks?

I've been trying to up my water to a solid 8-10 glasses a day, and feeling, well, washed out. Yesterday I decided to try a home-made sports drink of 16oz water, 2 TBSP key lime, pinch salt, bit of stevia and it tasted good (which usually means I'm dehydrated, normally they taste like sweaty socks :lol: ).

I feel better this morning, and I ended up having another one with breakfast and will follow it with plain water. I'm not a big salt shaker, but I do use a little on my food. Maybe it's not enough.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else does this, and what recipes are out there?

bigpaparn Tue, Mar-01-11 08:59

powerade zero's are about the best in my book

cnmLisa Tue, Mar-01-11 09:44

I do an hour and a half Zumba class once a week that just wipes me out.

16oz water
1/2 tsp mineralized salt
1 tsp magnesium
1/2 packet of those tiny crystal lights on the go.

I haven't had any problems since.

Ahhhh....why the sugar? Sounds like you may need electrolytes not glucose. JMO

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Elizellen Tue, Mar-01-11 10:14

Here is a recipe on this forum
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=333034

jschwab Tue, Mar-01-11 10:24

First of all, you don't need to drink that much water. You could try just adding a pinch of salt to your water, or using those sugarless tablets. I can't remember the name right now, but I'll post when I remember.

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I do an hour and a half Zumba class once a week that just wipes me out.

16oz water
1/2 tsp mineralized salt
1 tsp magnesium
1/2 packet of those tiny crystal lights on the go.

I haven't had any problems since.

Ahhhh....why the sugar? Sounds like you may need electrolytes not glucose. JMO

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

OOPS, I meant a pinch of salt. I will fix my OP! Where do you get the magnesium you are using??

ps. I looked up Zumba yesterday. That looks like great fun! :D

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

Hey, thanks!!! Perfect. Now I need to pick up some lite salt. :)

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
First of all, you don't need to drink that much water. You could try just adding a pinch of salt to your water, or using those sugarless tablets. I can't remember the name right now, but I'll post when I remember.

UGH, sorry, yeah I fixed my OP. I am adding a pinch of salt, not sugar. :lol:

I usually have ~16 oz with each meal & wash down vitamins, then a bottle when I walk (usually 5-7 miles a day). Not sure where I'd cut any H20 consumption out... And I expect it will go up as the weather gets hotter and I start gardening, etc.

mlk18 Tue, Mar-01-11 13:42

+1 on Powerade Zero. It is awesome, especially the grape.

jschwab Tue, Mar-01-11 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlFiend
UGH, sorry, yeah I fixed my OP. I am adding a pinch of salt, not sugar. :lol:

I usually have ~16 oz with each meal & wash down vitamins, then a bottle when I walk (usually 5-7 miles a day). Not sure where I'd cut any H20 consumption out... And I expect it will go up as the weather gets hotter and I start gardening, etc.

I think you said 8-10 cups in your OP. Still seems like alot. I just started taking water on my ten mile runs when the temps hit 60 degrees. Everybody's needs are different, though.

RaceGirl28 Tue, Mar-01-11 14:55

I drink Nu-uN on my long runs and afterwards. They are tablets that you put into your water and the disolve and make a sports drink that is VLC.

RaceGirl28 Tue, Mar-01-11 14:57

...and I drink a ton of water. My weight usually goes up 4-6 lbs during the daytime due to my water consumption. I usually drink about a gallon a day.

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I think you said 8-10 cups in your OP. Still seems like alot. I just started taking water on my ten mile runs when the temps hit 60 degrees. Everybody's needs are different, though.

Ok, I'm officially confused. 8 cups as in my OP = four 16 oz bottles, which is the same as having a 16 oz glass at each meal and a 16 oz bottle when I walk! Unless my math is skewed??

I did not carry much water when I was running. I carried a small 4 oz bottle when I was training for 1/2 marathon (mostly to train my body to accept water while running).

FowlFiend Tue, Mar-01-11 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceGirl28
...and I drink a ton of water. My weight usually goes up 4-6 lbs during the daytime due to my water consumption. I usually drink about a gallon a day.

Thanks Tara. I was hoping you'd chime in on your routine. Yeah, my weight does about the same if I'm staying properly hydrated. :)