Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Need help with Lunches! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=85919)

vixen69 Mon, Feb-10-03 19:51

Need help with Lunches!

Hi,

I'm fairly new. Have been LC-ing since 12/16/02 and love this site even though I rarely post. I have a question on lunches that I haven't seen addressed anywhere on this site. I need to pack lunch for work in order to stay on Atkins, but the problem is I don't have a fridge or microwave at work so it has to be OK to eat at room temperature. I've been packing hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, mushrooms, occasional tomatos, bell peppers and green salad. I am getting so sick of this fare. Any other ideas? BTW, I HATE mayonaise, sour cream and other very creamy dressing so that is out of the question.

Thx, :wave:

SmallerMe Mon, Feb-10-03 20:32

Make your own fridge. Put a small ice pack in your lunch and put your lunch in a cloth bag or something to insulate it. This should keep everything cool. Don't have a small ice pack? Make one. Find a small bottle, fill it with water and put it in the freezer overnight. Make sure you don't fill it to the top and don't freeze it with the lid on though. Water will expand when freezing and can break the glass or plastic container.

RCFletcher Tue, Feb-11-03 00:54

Hi vixen69,

My lunch pack includes smoked chicken, ham, and salami as well as cheese celery sticks, Chinese leaves, and cucumber. I pack it in a small metal box which stays pretty cool. Cooked meats won't go off in the four hours or so between when you leave the house and lunch.

Robert

P.S. SmallerMe's ice pack idea is excellent. A plastic bag with ice cubes in it would do.

nikkil Tue, Feb-11-03 02:24

You could also use a Thermos for hot foods (leftovers) and cold foods. These come in many different sizes/shapes. In camping supplies department, you could find all kinds of things that would work. Those refreezable gel packs come to mind.
N.

vixen69 Wed, Feb-12-03 22:14

Thanks for the ideas. BTW, I thought that the Thermos were only for liquids like coffee and soup. Do they make something more squatty where I could put meat & veggies? It's been a while since I've had a Thermos.

Tiggerdy Thu, Feb-13-03 14:17

Hi! :wave:

I personally use the disposable Gladware containers. They hold veggies, meat and other lunch items beautifully! Plus, you can reuse them for quite a while before recycling them. They come in quite a variety of sizes too.

Ditto on the ice pack. I have 2 that I rotate between. I carry my lunch in a backpack (easiest since I trek to work) w/the ice pack on the bottom. It keeps everything nice and cool-- even the cream cheese stuffed celery sticks!

Best of luck!
Nikki :daizy:

nikkil Sun, Feb-16-03 03:08

Yep, thermoses (sp?) have come a long way, baby! :D All different sizes/colours. Yes, I do put 'solids' in, even the tall, traditional thermos (casserole stuff). Harder to get out, tho. Use the shorter ones for that stuff.
Good luck,
N.