Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   muscle loss (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=49170)

IYONNA Sun, Jun-30-02 19:29

muscle loss

hi folks,

how can i tell if i am loosing muscle and not fat? i do know that i am loosing fat , but what are the signs that i am loosing muscles?

right now my shoulder and legs are hurting and it not from exercise it been raining nite and day could not get out to walk :( :(

iyonna

mariah974 Mon, Jul-01-02 04:54

hi iyonna,

try getting those muscles gently stretched, perhaps a little yoga, or just put on your fav cd and dance a bit. one of my friends, who is 80, puts on the music and dances for 20 minutes after lunch. needless to say, she never has had a weight problem and enjoyed her exercise.

my daughter found a walking friend and they mall walk. works for her.

soreness comes also from not drinking enough water. take care of yourself, use a heating pad, stretches, and if you can, get a massage.

Kristine Mon, Jul-01-02 06:07

Hi Iyonna,

As long you're eating enough food and getting enough protein, you shouldn't be losing muscle. I don't know what could be causing the sorness, though. Maybe you did something strenuous and forgot? I do that all the time. :)

Elihnig Mon, Jul-01-02 06:35

Some muscle aches and pains can be from a lack of something your body needs. Many people here take extra potassium--in the form of Nu-Salt or another salt substitute. Another supplement you may want to check out is a calcium/magnesium with a ratio of 2:1. I find I sleep very soundly taking the cal/mag and feel great. Nat and Doreen have the info about amounts you should be taking. Or, if you feel adventurous...check out this site's search icon at the top of the page and search for a post about potassium by doreenT, or about Calcium and magnesium by Natrushka. Before you know it, you'll be giving advice!

Elihnig

lilwannabe Mon, Jul-01-02 09:04

Perhaps you are achy because your body has gotten used to walking. Then when you don't, your body is telling you it is missing it. I would just do some stretching and toning on days you can't get out....I am no expert, but that makes sense to me.

do21little Mon, Jul-01-02 15:34

This might sound odd...

I saw that you put that it had been raining day and night there. Well when it rains here my and my husbands legs and arms get really achy and sometimes is unbearable. It only does it either before it rains or when there is going to be a major weather change. My husband use to think it was muscles growing, you know the pain you get when your muscles grew as a kid. Well he is past that age and I told him that it could be the weather. I guess it is the feeling older people get with arthritis. You feel like you worked out real hard when you haven't. Just my 2 cents :roll:
Also I didn't start having these paims til after my 3 boys were born. ??? But it always works like clock work...if I'm having those kind of pains I just wait a day or so and then there is a major weather change. If you have been injured in a certain area of your body you might hurt worse there. My husband hurts in his shoulder and knee because he broke or injured them long ago but only hurts when the weather is about to change. :daze:

IYONNA Thu, Jul-04-02 11:57

HAPPY 4th OF JULY TO EVERYONE :) :wave: :wave:

thanks to u all for replying to my post, my legs are feeling much better the pain is gone,it is still raining so i am now walking the stairs at work,4 flights of stairs,5 times up and 5 times down 3 nites a week :D :D, i am also taking extra supplements,now i need to work on my shoulder pain

thanks for the support :wave: :wave: