Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Calling on the Jocks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=39927)

pgarcia Mon, Apr-08-02 15:33

Calling on the Jocks

Any Exercise Junkies Out There?

I have been accumulating information here for the last week so I can cope with my newfound sweetness. As Type II diabetic, I am right now twice as sweet as I am supposed to be. Dr Bernstein's book is on order, but I have found such a welcome in this website that I can't stop asking questions. ;)

What is the common experience with exercise with you low carbers, and specifically you sweet low carbers? I am trying to work in Mon-Fri 35 min a day on the treadmill, 3.5 to 5 MPH, at varying grade levels 4% to 7%. At 54 years young, 5'8 1/2", 185# I find that I am working up a sweat and right now 35 minutes is all I can take. Next week, maybe 40 minutes at a crack.

Exercise vs low carbing vs glucophage. Where am I going to get the best bang for my effort? I am losing weight which I attribute a little to the exercise. Would I be better off devoting that time to lifting three times a week on the Nautilus Circuit?

How much does the average low carber exercise? How much does the average diabetic exercise? I bet for the sweet people they don't do it enough. Am I doing enough?

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome I have received here. As I said in another thread, my wife is afraid I am going to kill myself eating protein and low carbing. After all, it's downright un-American not to eat apple pie, right? And the only people who say to eat beef are the American Beef Assn. Everybody else says that beef is the quickest road to Boot Hill there is. Do you guys go against ALL the conventional wisdom? You can tell me. Is the sun still in the center of the solar system?

In God We Trust.....Semper Fi

wbahn Mon, Apr-08-02 16:39

Exercise is an integral part of most LC plans. Dr. Atkins is very specific about stating that if you aren't exercising, then you aren't doing Atkins.

Does that mean that all LC'ers exercise like they should, or even at all? No, unfortunately not. But I would imagine that LC'ers exercise more than the general population for the simple reason that they have already demonstrated a willingness to do what is necessary to improve their health.

There are a lot of serious exercisers here, so a lot of information can be had. There is a group of forums devoted to exercise, most noteably Body For Life and the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet.

Good hunting!

Oldsalty Mon, Apr-08-02 19:29

Until you get your book from Dr Bernstein, then keep on doing what you are doing but.....trust your blood sugar meter, and if you do not start stabilizing your blood sugars with diet, then examine your diet again in detail. my honey found that a few dry wheat crackers were enough to raise her blood sugar by 20 points...
Do you have a good handle on the glycemic index ? if not then take a look at these sites.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
for a long version of the index and at
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes...cemic_index.php
for a short version.

pcorradini Wed, Apr-10-02 01:37

Paul, I've been doing Atkins for about 3 months now, and I'll give you a run down of the sort of excersise I'm doing:

weights - 1 hour - 2-3 times per week
pump class - 2 a week (1 hr each)
step class - 1 a week (1hr))
Swimming - 10 laps 1-2 times a week
squash - once a week (45 mins)
Volleyball - once a week (2 hours)
Tennis - once a fortnight (1hr)

I've never had more energy than I have on Atkins.

Hope it helps

Paul

pgarcia Wed, Apr-10-02 08:02

Excercise

You make me feel like a malingerer!!

Looking at your exercise schedule, how do you have any time in the week for work and family? You are doing great. I can only hope to attempt to catch you.

Thanks for the example and for the encouragement!! :wave:

gwilson38 Wed, Apr-10-02 09:14

hey Paul!

Thought I would add to your "what exercise is everyone doing" I have been low-carbing for over a yr and the 1st few weeks I didnt exercise at all. After that I started out slowly doing 20 min or low-bounce aerobics with toning and stretching afterwards, #X a week. I increased it until eventually I was doing often 2 classes back to back at my gym, like a step class then tae bo. [Im not suggesting this is neccessarily good..lol] I recently quit smoking and need to rev up my metabolism so I am going to consentrate on weights more now. Doing them 3 days a week and only aerobics 2X a week, taking two days to rest. I think doing ANY exercise for too long and our bodies get in a slump for it. Guess thats why they say cross training is the best way to go.

Marlaine Wed, Apr-10-02 23:27

Hi there Paul...

Check out Ruth's journal. She is diabetic and LCing as well as doing Body for Life. I think you'll find a lot of interesting information in her journal. And I also know that she'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

HTH
Marlaine