Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dina's creamy, cheesy, Southern style Broccoli Casserole! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133186)

deeniec Tue, Aug-26-03 11:01

Dina's creamy, cheesy, Southern style Broccoli Casserole!

I modified my tried and true family recipe to low carb. Most other versions I had seen just weren't "sinful" enough, so I came up with one of my own; tastes just like the one we always have for family get togethers, not to mention church dinners. (Kentucky grandmothers are some of the best cooks around!) Thought I'd share it with others:

Dina's creamy, cheesy Southern style Broccoli Casserole

8 cups steamed broccoli
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1- 7 oz can sliced mushrooms
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup (total yield) plain CRUSHED pork rinds (I use half a large bag)
Butter (quantity is up to you) to "dot" the top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Layer a 9x13 buttered casserole dish with cooked broccoli (I steam mine so it's very soft). In a separate bowl, mix heavy cream, sour cream, eggs, and salt until smooth. Then add cheese and mushrooms to the cream mix. Pour entire mix over broccoli and then sprinkle with crushed pork rinds. Dot the top with tiny bits of butter (I probably use 2 Tbsp.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

This recipe, I am told by family, tastes just like the ones that use cream of mushroom soup and a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers. I knew those pork rinds would come in handy! Enjoy and let me know if anyone likes it, or as my grandpa says, "If it's worth any count!" :roll:

deeniec Tue, Aug-26-03 11:14

Just thought I'd add...

The nutrition facts for this dish:

Total servings: 9

Each individual serving has:
6.07g carbohydrate
21.3g fat
15.7g protein
282 calories

Enjoy! :wiggle:

FionaMcB Wed, Aug-27-03 10:31

Thanks, Dina. Going to make this as soon as I get my l.b. off the computer chair. Sounds great.

Deb

jeanyyy Thu, Aug-28-03 23:32

I'm going to try it too... even if I have to make only 1/2 of it!

FionaMcB Thu, Aug-28-03 23:41

Made this last night, it came out really well. I left off the pork rinds, and we think it's every bit as good. I can eat a whole lot of broccoli :thup:

SEWRIGHT Sat, Sep-13-03 15:41

Another Idea

What is you cut the broccoli into very small pieces and put all the ingred. in muffin tins - broccoli quiche
I made the mock pot. using chaul. and it was delicous but wonder if I had put in eggs if it would come out as good as quiche?
SEWRIGHT

freckles Sat, Mar-27-04 19:31

This is an excellent recipe! Thank you very much for sharing it. It will be a repeat recipe around here for sure. My only comment would be to add salt & pepper if you use it normally. You should definately submit this to the recipe of the month board.

Paris Sun, Mar-28-04 12:20

Oooo! I am so making this next week. I've been craving something creamy... just like this! :D

Cinderella Wed, Jun-02-04 08:18

Thanks for the great recipe! :D

Hilary M Thu, Jun-10-04 07:01

Ooh, I made this last night and it was divine! This will become a staple on my dinner table for sure. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

joatsaint Thu, Feb-03-05 19:05

Omg!

Thanks for posting this receipe. I can't believe how good it tastes, I can eat this all by itself!

vegaskelly Mon, Feb-07-05 20:30

My husband and I tried this a couple of weeks ago and OMG it's good! It's also currently baking in my oven. Yummy!!! Thanks for posting it!

missymagoo Sat, Mar-05-05 12:01

i just read this osting. i am going to have to try this later this week. sue

pammieanne Mon, Jan-12-09 18:44

I've made this a regular dish! I love it! It's easy, re warms great, tastes divine, and it's so different!

Thank you!!!

daedreamer Fri, Nov-27-09 12:12

I substituted turnips for the broccoli in this dish and wow!! Definitely going to have to give this a spin with the broccoli too!