Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Taco Bell Issue - Need the Atkins Experts!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25785)

A thin me! Sat, Nov-17-01 17:41

Taco Bell Issue - Need the Atkins Experts!!

I met with some friends who did not know I was trying Atkins (still on Induction - Day 11 or 12 - lost count!!).

They had ordered lunch for me before hand and there before me was my 'standard' lunch - a Beef Buritto and accompanying Taco and Diet Pepsi (a #1 combo). MY FACE WAS CRIMSON -- I ATE THIS ALOT, TOO!!!

I only ate the insides of both which consisted of:
Ground Beef (more in the Buritto)
Lettuce ( bit in each item)
Chopped Tomatoe - (maybe 1 teaspoon in each)
Cheese (sprinking in each item)
Sour Cream Dab in the Buritto only

Threw away the wrap from the Buritto and the Taco Shell.

[COLOR=crimson]HOW MUCH DAMAGE DID I DO TO MYSELF AND THE PAST 11-12 DAYS? DID I SCREW UP BADLY???

Please advise what you THINK the carb count might be - educated guesses are fine.

BTW: I asked my friends not to do this and we will meet again for holiday shopping -- but early morning instead.

Thanks for the help.

YogaBuff Sat, Nov-17-01 17:53

Don't you just HATE when this happens? And right out of the shoot, too. RIGHT after I went on LC, my mom invited us over for dinner (my birthday). I'm usually one who tries not to say anything about what's served anywhere, and eat what I can, but I was SURE she would make like, a great big bowl of pasta or something, so I told her what I was eating, and --bless her soul she made meat and the usual side dishes for the rest of the fam.

Looks to me like you did pretty well under the circumstances! Unless there's some kind of filler in the ground meat, the lettuce and tomato count for the salad or green vegetable you normally have, andsour cream would be (rule of thumb) about 1 gm. per ounce. I personally don't think you had anymore than you usually have in a LC meal.

I can see why you wouldn't want to eat at TB again, though, you couldn't have had much in volume after you took it all apart. ;)
yb

A thin me! Sat, Nov-17-01 18:06

Thank you. I feel a bit better. I was in PANIC ACTION MOOD to say the least.

I have had a long road on Induction and have not felt a loss at all during these 11 days and pretty much stayed around home to make sure I did not fall "off the wagon." But, I needed to get out and see friends. During our lunch and get together, I was pretty much on edge with this whole eating thing with friends.

It was also a eductional lesson - I saw what I ate prior to LC and thought nothing of it. Plus sometimes I would grab this food more than 3 times a month because of the convenice of it. No wonder I am the size of a tank....

But, I got thru this so Thanksgiving should be a breeze!! LOL

Thanks again for the words and I will just put it behind me - I have just become so parnoid about Carbs and staying on the program

Pam

Deirdre Sat, Nov-17-01 18:45

Sounds fine to me! I love Taco Bell and still eat there fairly often. I usually get a Taco Salad and a couple tacos and dump the taco stuff on the salad. Sometimes I get a steak taco. I used to eat way more than that before LC, fries supreme, bean burrito, chilito, maybe a taco too, sometimes more than that!

Natrushka Sat, Nov-17-01 19:04

Just FYI, Thin, if you type in "burrito" at fitday.com you can get a good idea of what's what. The burrito will be broken down on the right side with all the ingredients (or thereabouts) You can take a look at each one to eyeball the carbs / fat / protein etc. If you threw out the shell it doesnt look like you did any damage at all :) Just watch out for those beans, they're loaded with carbs.

Nat

A thin me! Sat, Nov-17-01 22:29

Whewwwwww!!!

Nat:

thanks alot. Did go to Fitcom and the the first time burrito came up , I almost fell out of the chair the charbos were so HIGH!!!!

Ended up doing it piece by piece of what was in the stuff - I was overally generous - and I was shocked at the high value of tomatoes!! Yikes. Good thing I DID NOT EAT BEANS OR THE SHELLS!! PROBABLY 60-70 CARBS!!!

Learned today that I can not depend on others to know what I am doing - I should order my own food no matter the reason.

Right now, my stomach cannot handle this type of food - greasy or just junky because whatever it was, gave me a bad case of the -- excuse me the "runs"!!

Plus when I got home, all I wanted to do was eat and that is all I did and what a good job I did, too!!! LOL!!!
Hot dogs, cuccumbers, zucchini, plain spinach leaves and celery and cheese...... then I polished off a bag of pork rinds --
It must have been a trigger of some sort for me somehow -

I hit 20 and if I balance it out with the 5 from yesterday, I guess it will even out. I was so worried I messed up bad. I was saved by not eating the shells/wraps and it did not have any beans or things.

Next time, I will make a taco salad at home sans the tomatoes and anxiety!!! Thanks again, Nat.

:)

P.S. I guess I need to get the scale one of these days to see if Induction worked. Keep your fingers crossed.

Natrushka Sat, Nov-17-01 22:51

Re: Whewwwwww!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by A thin me!
Right now, my stomach cannot handle this type of food - greasy or just junky because whatever it was, gave me a bad case of the -- excuse me the "runs"!!

Plus when I got home, all I wanted to do was eat and that is all I did and what a good job I did, too!!! LOL!!!

Actually, Pam, this sounds like you got some carbs. If you've been eating according to play for the past few weeks then your system is used to fat and likes it :) Carbs on the other hand would set you off big time. Reactions commonly include ravenous hunger and cravings. Tummy troubles are not uncommon too. I'd say Induction is working, you were definitely carb free and the bit you did have your body didnt like.

I sure hope you've taken some measurements, Pam. You'll be very pleased when you retake them after Induction.

Nat

Erin4980 Sun, Nov-18-01 00:08

Hey I read the first post, I thought this might be helpful...

TACO BELLŪ
Grilled Chicken Burrito
Cal: 390 Fat: 13 g Protein: 12 g Carbs: 19 g
Grilled Chicken Soft Taco
Cal: 200 Fat: 7 g Protein: 14 g Carbs: 17 g
Grilled Steak Soft Taco
Cal: 200 Fat: 7 g Protein: 19 g Carbs: 14 g
Soft Taco
Cal: 210 Fat: 10 g Protein: 20 g Carbs: 11 g
Steak Gordita Supreme
Cal: 300 Fat: 14 g Protein: 27 g Carbs: 17 g
Taco
Cal: 170 Fat: 10 g Protein: 12 g Carbs: 9 g
Tostada
Cal: 250 Fat: 12 g Protein: 27 g Carbs: 10 g

Hope this is helpful...I have some other restaurants if you need 'em.
Erin

Natrushka Sun, Nov-18-01 00:16

If you're looking for other restaurants, try here. The site is intended for people watching fat grams, but carbs are listed too. Only drawback: if you're discarding the bun / burrito shell the totals don't work. Fitday or the Carb Counter on this site would be better.

http://www.olen.com/food/

Nat

AngelaR Sun, Nov-18-01 06:34

A thin me,

Sounds like you made some wise choices, and choices is what this is all about. Congratulations. You really sound like you are taking control of your life. :clap:

I've had to eat out fast food twice since I started. The first time was at Wendy's (bacon swiss burger with no bun and half of one of their chicken ceasars) The second was at Swiss Chalet yesterday (new mexican style grilled chicken on a salad) Which by the way tasted awefull so only ate a few bites.

Seems to me if you are used to eating your own home cooked and more natural stuff, the commercial stuff tastes pretty crumby. I had an upset stomach all afternoon, and the most ravenous case of the hungers I've ever felt. Even after coming home and having a dinner sized portion of good stuff, the hunger was still there. It took hours to go away. There must have been something in the chicken or a lot of sugar in the salad dressing.

Deirdre Sun, Nov-18-01 10:05

For fast food / restaurant nutrition info I like this site:

http://www.cyberdiet.com/ffq/

They have Canadian chains as well and you can choose which information you want, carbs, calories, fat etc., you can even do a search on items that are within a certain range.

McDonald's and Burger King's sites have the breakdown of nutritional info for each ingredient:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/...down/index.html

http://www.burgerking.com/nutrition/nutrition01.htm

RamonaK Sun, Nov-18-01 10:33

A thin me...

Wow.. what strength you had... congratulations... you made the best of a difficult situation!!!!! and learned in the process.

I am learning too.. to look out for myself. Never leave assumptions. I am planning Thanksgiving with the inlaws.. I am bringing the salad... and a low carb cheese cake. I will be able to have Turkey and Vegetables...

This WOE of eating is making me plan alot... the other thing when you plan... you don't run the risk of falling off... AND you start to diminish the need to make yourself wrong for not eating the way you want to... your self talk gets better and it is one of the things that lessens bingeing...

SO.. pat yourself on the back... get back on the wagon and HO!

Ramona

gecolon Sun, Nov-18-01 13:58

Taco bell ground beef has carbs!

It really isn't worth eating at taco bell. When they make the ground beef filling they add flour to it. I don't know about you, but I would rather eat those carbs in some other form. I used to have the recipe, I will try to find it again and post it.

gecolon Sun, Nov-18-01 14:08

taco bell soft (beef) taco recipe

I got this off the top secret recipes site

If you don't think those packets of Taco Bell spices you buy in the grocery stores makes spiced ground meat that tastes like the stuff they use at the giant Mexican food chain, you'd be correct. If you want the taco meat to taste right you're going to have to whip it up from scratch using this original TSR recipe. Once you've prepped your meat, these steps will help you build your tacos the Taco Bell way, without any pesky talking Chihuahuas running through the kitchen.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
dash garlic powder
1/2 cup water
12 soft taco flour tortillas (6-inch tortillas)
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef with the flour, chili powder, salt, minced onion, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Use your hands to thoroughly mix the ingredients into the ground beef.
2. Add the seasoned beef mixture to the water in a skillet over medium heat. Mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula, and break up the meat as it cooks. Heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned. The finished product should be very smooth, somewhat pasty, with no large chunks of beef remaining.
3. Heat up the flour tortillas in your microwave for 20 - 30 seconds, or until warm.
4. Build each taco by spooning 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat into a warm tortilla. Spread some of the shredded lettuce over the meat and then sprinkle some cheese over the top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve immediately. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Makes 12 soft tacos.
by Todd Wilbur

A thin me! Sun, Nov-18-01 15:43

Fellow LC'ers

Thanks so much :wiggle:

I really appreciated all of the ideas, suggestion and kind words. It really helps me get real and back on track. In addition,
I do metally feel better about my luncheon with friends in hindsight and have learned from this. Next time, I will be prepared or grab a plain burger from McDonalds!!! I bookmarked the sites everyone passed on , in case I need them again. Excellent hints.

Nat: Have to agree - there must have been something in the food somewhere - because I could not stop eatting!!!! I did make sure I drank a lot of water last night and today to get rid of the stuff.

Gecolon: It is not that I crave Taco Bell, just my friends thought I was the same old, Pam and ASSUMED I was eating my old way.
I am going to use your receipe once I hit maintance and can truly enjoy Tacos and things more. I printed it out and put it in this folder I started for ideas.

Bye and thanks.

A Thin Me.