Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Soups Sauces & Appetizers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Cream of Asparagus Soup (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=99491)

Lessara Thu, Apr-17-03 17:53

Cream of Asparagus Soup

I took a recipe from Penzeys Spices and adapted it for low carb.
1 bundle of Asparagus
1 small onion
3 tbs unsalted butter
1 cup of chicken stock
1 cup of water
1 cup of cream
1 Tbsp Arrowroot (here you can use another low carb thickener -
I had carbs to spare today)

1/2 tsp of white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp salt (if necissary)
1/2 tsp Fine Herbes (mixture of chervil, parsley, chives and tarragon)

Cook Asparagus and onion in the butter for 8-10 minutes
Add chicken stock and water cook for 8-10 minutes more
Add cream with Arrowroot, bring to a low boil.
Let it cool slightly and put into a blender and puree till its at the consistancy you like. I like little bits of the veggies, myself.

For the whole thing its:
Total Calories: 1055
Fat: 99
Sat: 67
Poly: 10
Mono: 21
Carbs: 16
Fiber: 0
Protein: 9
Alcohol: 0

This makes 3 cups of soup. so for 6 people it would be about 176 calories, 2.6 carbs for a half cup of soup. :)

NANCI B Tue, Apr-22-03 17:56

chilled aparagus soup

Martha Stewart had a wonderful asparagus soup on her show. It didnt even have to be modified to eat. I made it as part of my Easter lunch. It was delish.

3 bunches of asparagus
1 small onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
sour cream or cream fraisch

cut the tips of the asparagus (about 1 inch) and blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. immediately put in ice bath to stop cooking. Cut the remaining asparagus into 1 inch pieces.

in a large stock pot, saute onion in oil until transparent. add asparagus and stock, salt and pepper. cover and bring to boil. boil only until asparagus is bright green....about 2 minutes.

puree in blender in small batches and strain through medium sieve into a bowl and chill. adjust seasonings after chilling and when serving, add a dollop of sour cream. serve chilled.
I just ran the numbers on fitday. they are:
source grams cals %total
Total: 604
Fat: 35 315 57%
Sat: 7 67 12%
Poly: 4 32 6%
Mono: 22 198 36%
Carbs: 50 104 19%
Fiber: 24 0 0%
Protein: 34 138 25%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
there are at least 6 servings in this recipe. the net carbs per serving based on 6 is 4.16.

This soup is so refreshing. and tasty to.
I just had to share.
Nanci

http://www.marthastewart.com/911088...-asparagus-soup

Lessara Sat, Apr-26-03 13:04

wow...

Your recipe is very much like the one I posted..

CharM Mon, Nov-03-03 23:17

Jean's Cream of Asparagus Soup

CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP by Jean

Serving Size : 4

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, Imagine Organic, liquid
3 ounces cream cheese -- (3 to 4 oz)
12 OZ canned asparagus, (reserve liquid)
1/3 cup heavy cream -- (1/3 to 1/2 cup)

Drain asparagus, mix this liquid and chicken broth into a pan,
Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
Add reserved asparagus to broth and cream cheese.
Blend until smooth.
Add cream and heat through.

Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
169 Calories;
15g Fat (79.7% calories from fat)
4g Protein
4g Carbohydrate
1g Dietary Fiber

jeanyyy Mon, Nov-03-03 23:36

:) Thanks, Char! But I got it from a Yahoo group! hehe

PS I found a handblender didn't work very well, so poured the soup into my "real" blender.. and VOILA, perfect! :)

jeanyyy Tue, Nov-04-03 16:53

I just made this again, but with a can of mushroom stems and pieces (10 fl oz) instead of the asparagus... Dropped in about 1/2 tsp of thyme, too... Still got about 4 cups and sipping on one now - this is so fast and so easy! :)

I'm sure adding a bit of celery and onions would make it even better, but I was looking for something really quick with staples I usually have on hand. Enjoy!

Tapestry Tue, Nov-04-03 18:23

Sounds YUMMY... Thanks!

NANCI B Wed, May-12-04 16:57

asperagus soup

I was making spears for supper and was wondering as I usually do when cleaning asperagus, Why can't the bottoms be used for something. I made this soup and it was very good. I is so simple that the recipe must be in here somewhere, If it is.......mea culpa.

Asperagus soup

one bunch of asperagus spears , washed and snapped, (save the tops for another meal)
one can chicken broth

boil chicken broth and add bottoms of asperagus. cover pot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Dump the whole thing in a blender (or use a stick) puree. I ran mine through a sieve to remove the more woody fibers. Add 2 tbsp heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. this made 4 nice servings. I thought it was so good.

PecanPie Wed, May-12-04 17:36

Hi - That is exactly what my husband does, only he sometimes adds butter instead of the cream, it's terrific, but I have to run it through the sieve - he doesn't - says he likes the extra fiber :D

Jan J. Tue, Jul-21-09 05:52

Creamy Asparagus soup

1 can chicken broth - the size about 14 oz.
3-4 oz cream cheese
1 can asparagus, drained
season with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder

Heat the cream cheese in the broth until it softens. I use about 2 cups homeade chicken stock, which makes it even better! Drain and pour in the asparagus. Insert a hand blender and blend until smooth. Or you can put it in your blender in small batches but I highly recommend a little insertion blender - even a cheap one, less than $10, is invaluable! Be sure and hold it all the way under the liquid or your walls will be splattered green :lol:

It's fine with just like that, but to make it a really yummy meal:
I have added parmesan cheese, ground beef and sometimes I sautee a bit of onion and a clove or two of garlic before adding the broth, then simmer until onion is tender, especially if I don't have any homemade chicken broth.

Let me know how you like it! I may have posted this here before but it was probably a couple of years ago if I did!