Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Bummed out but still determined (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70220)

Skinytwety Mon, Nov-11-02 17:26

Bummed out but still determined

Well, I was already to start my Induction week today, reading my book and wrote down some menu ideas (all below the 20 g a day level) but let me tell you when things don't work out the way we plan them. :thdown: Last Friday I started out with a sore throat, didn't pay too much attention and throughout the weekend it got awful. :thdown: :thdown: Last night it was so terrible that my ears were killing me, I could not swallow at all and was up all night. I was still determined to start this because last night I had made tuna salad and divided it into three containers with my lettuce. But let me tell you.....I went to the clinic and I have a major infection with the swelling so bad that it brings tears to my eyes when I HAVE to swallow. :eek: :eek: Needless to say the last thing that I want going down this throat is tuna or chicken I barely get the applesauce down with the antibiotic.

So I suppose that I will let the throat and ears heal and just getting going next week. I do have some questions :q: :q: :q:

1) Should we exercise during Induction?
2) Should I continue to read the book or read as I move along my phrases?
3) Can we use recipes that have a trace or less than 5 g. of carbs. even though they only contain the acceptable foods?
4) Is Feta cheese acceptable during this time?
5) Is cream cheese acceptable during this time?

Thanks and will stay here until the end... :wave:

Mattsgram Mon, Nov-11-02 18:22

I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better very soon. From what I've read on this forum, sometimes you have to go with what is best when you're feeling like you do right now.
I would suggest chicken broth with some hot sauce in it - it helps break up any congestion, is filling and soothes your throat.
I will let someone with more knowledge answer your questions.
Kay

Lisa N Mon, Nov-11-02 18:48

Hi SkinyTwety!

Sorry you're feeling so bad. I can't imagine trying to eat a salad with a throat infection...OUCH! I think it's wise to wait until you're feeling better to start induction.
To answer your questions:

1) Dr. Atkins recommends backing off on strenuous exercise during the induction period. Mild exercise such as walking is okay, but hold off on the marathon plans and major weight resistance sessions until your body has adjusted to burning fat for fuel instead of sugar.

2) It's a good idea to read the whole book before you start so you have some idea of where you're headed, but it's also a good idea to keep reading as you go along. It seems everytime I go back and read some more, I pick up something that I missed the first time or it makes more sense to me.

3) You are allowed up to 20 grams of carb per day on induction but don't save them up and eat them all at one time. Recipes that contain up to 5 grams of carb would probably be fine.

4) Feta cheese is fine, but count the carbs. Dr. Atkins recommends that you limit cheese to 3-4 ounces a day during induction.

5) Yes, cream cheese is permitted during induction, but again, count the carbs towards your daily allowance.

Skinytwety Mon, Nov-11-02 21:07

Tell ya what I have learned.

First I need to tell you guys that I am feeling just a tiny bit better, the Advil along with the antibiotics are hopefully doing their jobs. So I thank you all for your good thoughts. :)

Tellya what I am looking forward to is REAL MAYO. with my tuna. And needless to say the adjustment in the old mind that I have to get used to is REAL BUTTER :exclm: :exclm:

THAT IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!!

During this sicky time I tell you that the truth be told--eating carbs without any protein which is the only thing that my throat can tolerate right now because the back of my throat is raw, makes you hungry after just one hour. Little experiment on my behalf. :thdown: :thdown:

You are all great in giving me advise and I plan on reading more of my book tomorrow being that I have to stay home. I will try and eat alittle chicken to see if I can tolerate it.

Good night and rest peacefully. :D