Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Prescribed Antidepressent Medication (Prozac (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=164571)

Lilybear Wed, Feb-04-04 13:59

Prescribed Antidepressent Medication (Prozac

Does anyone else have to take an anti-depressant and trying to do Atkins? I lost 13 pounds in about 6 weeks, but now I seem to have reached a plateau. Has anyone been successful with Atkins while on this medication? :rolleyes:

sarah36 Thu, Feb-05-04 09:32

im waiting too with baited breath!!! i nearly came off it today AGAIN after just 1 week bk on!!if anything last time on it i lost weight within 3 weeks really fast... but i was not lowcarbin, i want too i just need to get started once n for all!! good luck on ur lowcarb journey,well done on ur initial weight loss, i hope some one gets bk to u soon with some answers!! lv n best wishes sarah

memaw O5 Thu, Feb-19-04 12:28

I am taking Welbutrin XL now but have taken Prozac Paxil and Zoloft. I have a long history of depression that goes back to puberty and have only been medicated the last 10 or 15 years can't remember the exact year I went on them. I hate to tell you this but I gained on the P&P drugs the Welbutrin I lost weight on well but cried alot now I am in the process of looking at Lexapro. Not on it yet but researching it. I am on the TDC and posted today about what was going on with me Donnald gave me this link so now I have two homes.

Engine9 Fri, Feb-20-04 08:35

I know off weight gain or the inability to lose on everything but Lexapro, if there is chance your doctor will let you switch consider that med. As far as the Atkins stall I know of quite a few people who stall on week three. I have a friend who stalls and the only thing she does to get things rolling again is to have a free day, she doesn't go crazy but it seems to help her.

nirvanagrl Sat, Feb-28-04 18:38

ssri's and weight loss..

the best info i have ever found online about any of the ssri's and weight loss is at a kinda anti med site actually but its still good info, they suggest the only real way to loose on anti d's is low carb:) and using fish oil with vitamin e..its a really good article yall should just read through

www.prozactruth.com

go to the weight loss words and click on those..

BonJoviFan Wed, Mar-03-04 19:49

nirvanagrl.....thanks for posting that link. I read the section about Sarafem and have decided to stop taking it. I was not put on this medication for depression but rather severe PMS. I saw the flyer in the doctor's office, asked for it, and was given a prescription that day. I have never really taken it regularly, just whenever I thought about it or saw the box laying on my desk. I have however taken it this week & have felt like crap. I don't think I've taken it enough to affect me so I have decided to stop it before it gets too late.

Thanks again!!!

Angie

armywife3 Thu, Mar-25-04 07:46

I started prozac at the same time as I started atkins one year ago and it has been a lifesaver. My doctor believes it has helped me too to lose the weight. I think prozac is a true blessing in life. I started gaining weight at one point but it wasn't b/c of the prozac. It was because I was eating things I shouldn't have been eating and that was due to the fact that I was becomign depressed again. Once you get the right dosage of the antidepressant it makes a big difference.

alicia67 Thu, Apr-01-04 08:34

I started Akin's about six weeks ago and have lost nothing at all. Kind of frustrating although I like how much better I feel not eating all the carbs. I think that the SSRI I am currently taking (Celexa) has done something to my body making it impossible to lose weight. I want to get to my preCelexa weight and back into a size 8. I recenttly read the prozactruth website linked above and am now taking omega3 and vitamin e as suggested. It's only day three so no results yet.

joan34 Tue, Apr-06-04 18:59

i have been on paxil for a year and have lost 17lbs. i recently started lowcarbing and have begun to lose weight again. i never ever thought paxil would make me gain? joan34. it also has been a blessing:paxil and lowcarbing! haha

ValerieL Wed, Apr-07-04 10:00

I'm on Celexa too, and have been the entire time I've been low-carbing. I lost well in the beginning and have slowed to a crawl over the last 2 months. I don't know if it is the anti-depressant or not. I don't see why it would be, I lost well in the beginning, but who knows.

I'll go check out that link above though, I have vit E & fish oils, I just never take them consistently.

Valerie

fendel Sat, Apr-10-04 08:38

If Wellbutrin works for you (it does for me, but not for some folks) it's a good option to explore. Causes some people to lose weight (not me, unfortunately, I hafta do that on my own).

I have a friend who's lost 40 pounds while on it. I've lost 15 on it almost three times now, tho unfortunately the same 15 over and over, since I fell off the wagon before.

I had another friend who went off Wellbutrin and back to a serotonin drug because Wellbutrin made him way too irritable. Everyone's different. Wellbutrin has kept my depression at bay for over 8 years now with minimal side effects (mostly fast heartbeat and a slight increase in blood pressure).

Aprilellen Fri, May-28-04 19:50

Not all meds are for all people I figured that out I agree that you should explore all options as far a antidepressants prozac didnt work for me but the lexapro at alower dose is (I was on prozac 40mg and now am taking lexapro 10 and feel better just remember what works for one person might not work for all...April

EnufIsEnuf Tue, Jun-08-04 18:44

I have taken every drug that has been mentioned above. In my opinion they all cause weight gain/stall weight loss. For my bipolar disorder I was taking risperdal/celexa, zyprexa last year and I gained 40 lbs from them. I need to take the medication, but I totally refuse because I am miserable with all this weight, which cancels out the effects of the medication. It's a horribly viscious cycle. Maybe after I lose my 50 lbs I will try it again, this time doing Atkins and see how it goes....

Kegan Tue, Jun-08-04 22:48

I have had a simuliar experience, though with a different SSRI. It put me into quite a stall. I am trying L-Carnitine now to 'unstall'. Based on only a few days use, it appears to be working. If you search on L-Carnitine, you will find some pretty useful threads. Good luck!