Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Big Day Today (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=180912)

kenkobiz Mon, Apr-26-04 20:50

Big Day Today

Good Day all!!

I just had a good day today and wanted to share with all of you what has been going on with me and the family.

By the way - have you seen that Quizno's has Low Carb Flatbread?? The sandwiches range anywhere from 7 grams to 14 grams of carbs depending on which ones you get! Just tried one today and they are AWESOME!

Update on my son - he had stalled out at 15 pounds lost, then gained two. We checked his calorie intake on fitday and found out that he was eating as many calories as I am, even though he was under 20 grams of carb a day. Last Monday we adjusted his calorie intake and he dropped 5 pounds this week. That is 17 total for him - looks like he will be needing new clothes soon.....

My wife is doing GREAT!! It is frustrating sometimes for her because she is losing at a slower rate than I am. I think it has something to do with Lean Body Mass, since she is only 5'0" tall and I am 6'0". But Still - she has lost 28 pounds since we started!!

I am down 53 pounds as of today. The things that I am most excited about are as follows:

1. I am off my High Blood Pressure medication. I was running 145/85 while on medication, and had to start taking it when I reached 162/112. Now - after being off the medication for two months my blood pressure is down to 135/80.

2. Today was new belt day. I had gone through all the notches on my size 56 belt (a total of three holes from where I started) and added four more holes. Today I bought a new belt that was a size 44-48!!!

I feel great and just wanted to say Hi to everyone and share a great day!!

hummelda Mon, Apr-26-04 21:21

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on all those milestones!! Isn't it strange how a small adjustment makes a big difference for your son? Did he miss the extra calories? It's great that he will do this along with you... I doubt that I would have co-operated as a child, especially since my parents have never been overweight and didn't understand the psychology involved at all.

I think on this WOE that you can always find some new milestones to make the journey exciting! And it's worth it as you so clearly pointed out!!

toopoles Mon, Apr-26-04 21:33

Those are some great milestones. I keep thinking about the possibility of needing a new belt.

That's great about being able to be off the high blood pressure medicine also. I have been on some before and it definitely was a factor when I decided to lose weight this time.

I keep thinking about your son. I have a granddaughter who wants to lose some weight. She is spending the summer with me so in order to eat, she will have to do some low carb anyway :lol: She is frustrated that the kids call her names. I am glad that your son is succeeding so well in his weightloss. Marty

leasmom Mon, Apr-26-04 22:33

Woohoo, you're whole family is doing great!!! Congrats to all of you!!!

P.S., tell your wife that us women lose slower than you guys-GRRR!!!

diemde Tue, Apr-27-04 03:12

Congratulations! Those are some great milestones. I am so pleased to hear it's working for you son and that you have caught it when he's young enough to follow your guidelines.

There comes a point when you really do have to watch the calories. Sounds like that is where your wife is, too. It is tough having to track both carbs and calories, but it works.

Great job!

AFwife Tue, Apr-27-04 03:15

:cheer: You're doing great, keep it up. :cheer:

:)

kenkobiz Tue, Apr-27-04 05:20

Thanks everyone!!

Louise - he thought he was going to miss the extra calories, but when it came right down to it he really didn't. He hasn't been hungry at all with the lower calorie count.

Dianne - You are certainly right! We all count carbs and calories now - I think it's a good thing to know.

jennilu Tue, Apr-27-04 07:38

Jim--

Congrats to you and your family! You've all accomplished something great... keep up the good work! :)

Renkin1990 Tue, Apr-27-04 07:48

WOW, I am very impressed with your progress and your wonderful attitude! You Should be proud of your entire family. You are keeping focused on your goals and being Big Loosers!

Congratulations to you all!

orchidday Tue, Apr-27-04 07:51

That is just wonderful! Goodness, the whole family is shrinking and gotten healthier. I think it is so great that your son can learn about controlling his weight while he is young. He will be much better for it!

I like to stop someplace to eat when I am out and about doing errands. I will try Quizno's next!

Orchid

Charran Tue, Apr-27-04 08:20

GM Jim and congrats on all your good news! I think it's wonderful to have someone to follow this WOE with. I'm kind of on my own here in my family, but I'm also the only one who has a weight problem. It gets abit tricky at times, but I'm managing.

Really great news about the belt. Fitting into smaller clothes is always a wonderful and exciting thing!

Keep up the great work Jim and pass along congrats to your family too!

Zymi Tue, Apr-27-04 08:33

Congratulations to the whole family...wow! :cheer:

It's been my experience that men lose weight faster too. I'm guessing it's because men have a higher amount of muscle mass, which burns more calories than fat. My dad was always the fastest loser in our family too.

kyrasdad Tue, Apr-27-04 09:19

Sounds terrific. We are very similar in stats, and where we started vs where we are. It's fun with the leading indicators like rings and belts. I'm on my second new belt, and my ring has moved to my middle finger.

Best of luck, but it sounds like you don't need it--your family is doing sensational.

MISSRED197 Tue, Apr-27-04 09:38

:Party: :cheer: :dazzle: :Party: :cheer: :dazzle: :Party: :cheer: :dazzle:

Congrats on the progress!!!! It is soooo awesome that the whole family is in this WOE together!!!!! Keep up the good work!!! Woohoooo!!!

:Party: :cheer: :dazzle: :Party: :cheer: :dazzle: :Party: :cheer: :dazzle:

Scented1 Tue, Apr-27-04 10:24

Awesome!!!

Keep up the great work! ;)