Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What are ideal percentages of intake? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=17748)

Dalou Sun, Aug-26-01 00:43

What are ideal percentages of intake?

I was SOOOO discouraged and depressed tonite after coming home from work, this is only Day 5 I was ready to give up already. I've been really bunged up in the colon for all 5 days and the increased water hasn't helped -- yet :rolleyes:

I got home and hubby had bought me some green apples, which always does the trick for him, and I ate one JUST BEFORE DINNER (I know, I know) before looking it up and realizing it had a whopping 21 grams of carbs. I couldn't believe I'd just blown my whole day's carb allowance on one stupid apple that didn't even work! Not to mention probably spiking my insulin right before a hamburger patty with cheese dinner!!

Needless to say, I felt like a total idiot because I basically knew better, but I checked into FitDay.com and did my whole day's intake, which is:

Calories: 1,626 (within my range)
Fat: 106 grams 60%
Carbs: 49 grams 11%
Protein: 119 grams 30 %

My long winded question is what are the IDEAL percentages of the fat, carbs and protein that I should be aiming for, given that I am supposedly in Induction and I promise the Carbo Gods I will not touch another one of the Forbidden Fruit.

FitDay was an eye opener too, in realizing that had I not even eaten the dreaded apple, I'm still 8 grams over what I'm allowed for Induction. I guess my discouragement comes from knowing I was consuming probably a good 200 grams of carbs just a week ago and realing that even 50 is NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH. I don't have ketostix or a scale, so other than my general feeling of well-being, I don't have anything tangible to go by yet.

Someone please enlighten me as to what breakdown of percentages I should be aiming for and maybe tell me I'm not a total lost cause, even at this early point in the game. (((Thank you)))

fiona Sun, Aug-26-01 02:31

Commitment 100%

There are no half-measures with Induction. Has to be 100% commitment for two weeks as u realise yourself.

However a mistake is not necessarily a tragedy. Be a professional ice-skater. Every time they fall it takes them one second to get up and continue skating as if nothing had happened. ;)

As for your question about percentages, I have no idea. My understanding of Induction is don't even think about percentages or calories or fat content. Concentrate on keeping the carbs to 20g or less per day.

U r not a lost cause. stay with it. keep the carbs low and drink plenty. I use fresh green methi (looks a little like parsley, available from most Indian shops). A few branches sort out any colon problems quickly and form part of the LC greens.

Take care.

Natrushka Sun, Aug-26-01 08:32

Dalou

Fiona is right.... one falter is not the end of the world. Get right back on that horse more committed than ever! :)

As for the constipation, I've found that psyllium husk works great. One or two tablespoons in a high protein shake (blend really well) usually does the trick. There are other methods, try typing 'constipation' into the search feature above and you'll find lots of information.

Percentages: I have found over the past 3 weeks that by keeping my carbs down to around 20 - 30 (I am on PP not Atkins) everyting else just works out (about 30 - 40% protein) and the rest fat. You may not be ingesting ENOUGH fat. Good fat like Olive oil or flax oil can help with regularity (at least I have found this to be true..... almost too much help at first ;) )

Don't be discouraged!!
Nat

razzle Sun, Aug-26-01 09:46

the percentages are difficult to estimate without knowing the calorie range you're aiming for, too--since the carbs stay the same in numbers, the percentages will shift, if you see what I'm saying. 30-10-60 for OWL is pretty typical. 25-5-70 would be fine for induction.

However, I second the notion of just keeping the carbs right and letting your appetite rule the rest of your intake. (Though stay under 200 g or so of protein to avoid excess insulin response to that.)

Hope you feel better soon!

doreen T Sun, Aug-26-01 13:51

The others have given you good suggestions and advice .. hang in there, you can do this.

On the bound-up colon problem, click on "Low Carb Tips" from the menu bar at the top of the page .. Read the article Low-Carbing and Intestinal Health ..... you'll find lots of ideas to overcome this uncomfortable problem.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Doreen

bluugirl Sun, Aug-26-01 14:33

hi dalou

hi dalou,
i understand how u feel ..and i've been there believe me!. I solved my problem with my colon trouble by taking fiber tablets which i purchased from an organic store. I went there just b/c i thought they'd have a variety of products, which are preservative, sugar, starch etc free.
my fiber tab is made out of psyllium husk, oat bran, and guar gum. i think i started 2 weeks ago, and i've not had a problem since. it is quite remarkable, and definitely recommend something along those lines. I also wanted them in tablet form, since i just find that more convenient than mixing powder which is hard to drink/swallow.
Also, Aloe Vera juice is good (although haven't tried it personally), one of my friends in college, her mother made a business of selling aloe vera products and she swore about what a miracle plant it was. :D
About the %ages, i'm not sure either, it's easier to try to stick to under 20g carbs. Don't worry if u mess up, take ur time, ur body needs time to adjust. Think of it as breaking an old habit and establishing a good one. Habits take time to break and make.
It might also help u if u plan ahead what u will eat and stick to that... think of it like a project, write down, plan, itemize, and stick to it :D U'll feel u're in better control.