Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Ahhh....another Atkin's bashing study (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170131)

momtogavin Mon, Mar-01-04 12:34

Ahhh....another Atkin's bashing study

This one is going to be all over the news tonight....I just saw it on a commercial for the 4 o clock news....I believe that the packaged/processed high carb food companies are paying people to dig up anything they can to bash this WOL....I hate it.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2594996

scorpio381 Mon, Mar-01-04 12:40

"More research in America has now suggested it (lack of carbohydrates) could also affect mental health, leaving dieters feeling grumpy, tired, apathetic and restless."

Hmmmmm....I ATE carbs this weekend and that's how I felt!! Doesn't make much sense, does it?

theshoe23 Mon, Mar-01-04 12:53

Me too, I had a carb heavy meal this last weekend and I felt like crap!

kevins7189 Mon, Mar-01-04 13:09

They should be looking for a cure for something else, not this BS. Some other diet idiots probably paid for this study and the results

eddiesgirl Mon, Mar-01-04 13:14

I have more energy than I have ever had in my life since starting Atkins...It drives me nuts that "they" have to give us so much slack. I've been in a good mood for almost 2 months now...ummm, could that have something to do with the way I"m eating...whichi is Atins? I try not to let the media bother me, I know how I feel and that's what I go by.

down 29.6lbs since Jan 5/2004
:clap: Eddiesgirl

Shannonp Mon, Mar-01-04 13:17

I don't even have the time to go down each paragraph of that article to correct the authors misgivings.

Its just crazy!

freckles Mon, Mar-01-04 13:20

The Atkins woe has cured me of mood swings and depression...I thank God for Atkins!!! This aspect of the woe is more important to me than the weight loss and my DH has said he won't let me quit this woe because I am now happy and actually have a sense of humor!

sixpence Mon, Mar-01-04 14:19

[Cue Triumphant Music]The thing is about this way of eating, they can never take it away!!! We know the truth and how low-carbing affects our bodies. It may discourage others from joining (sad as it may be), but it won't stop us![/Triumphant Music]

Oldcoyote Mon, Mar-01-04 14:41

Lack of Candy

So if lack of carbs makes you grumpy, lack of candy makes you homicidal! Therefore Atkins diet is responsible for increased murders!

toning_up Mon, Mar-01-04 15:11

This is so annoying. I guess that in the days of cavemen, before chocolate and cheesecake was invented, before potatoes and rice were cultivated, everyone stalked about clubbing eachother over the head because they were depressed over the lack of desserts in their lives..........

pd Rydia Mon, Mar-01-04 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by toning_up
This is so annoying. I guess that in the days of cavemen, before chocolate and cheesecake was invented, before potatoes and rice were cultivated, everyone stalked about clubbing eachother over the head because they were depressed over the lack of desserts in their lives..........

I know that's what I did!

Wait, I'm confusing my life with a movie again. Sorry.

respu Mon, Mar-01-04 16:35

It often happens that when someone offers and alternative to the current thinking, those who have a vested interest in the current thinking or are too inflexible to change their way of thinking will try anything to discredit the thing that has disrupted their orderly lives.

A friend of mine is a retired doctor and he has been on the atkins diet. He thinks that Dr Atkins provides a very persuasive argument for his diet, his only worry is the long term effect on the kidneys. He agreed with me when I said the potential risks to my kidneys outweigh the effect my obesity was having on me right now.

LuvMyHubby Mon, Mar-01-04 16:41

I'm thankful that my doctor has lost weight on Atkins and is very positive about DH and me going low carb.

As far as this WOE being unhealthy, I'm eating way more veggies than before. I used to rarely eat any vegetable except a potato.

pookalee Mon, Mar-01-04 16:47

Yes, yes, and have you heard that the world is flat?!? That was about the most "obvious" attempt IMHO to get people discouraged about trying LC. Bad mood..... need carbs to stop eating....HELLO, because of carbs I could not ever stop eating. Oh this kind of ignorance is very maddening! I hope the person behind that article finds the 20 lbs. of carb weight that I lost :)

respu Mon, Mar-01-04 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookalee
I hope the person behind that article finds the 20 lbs. of carb weight that I lost :)

that made me laugh :thup: