Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   6 lbs gone ??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126492)

sbermudez Tue, Jul-29-03 09:38

6 lbs gone ???

I started this diet 3 days ago. (on Sunday) I wasn't going to weigh until this up-coming Sunday. But yesterday I did. I weigh 6 lbs less then when I started. How is this possible. I must be Negative 3500 calories to lose one pound... and 6 in two days seems unreal.
Has anyone else lost so much in the first couple days?
I had a post on here about feeling 'drunk'... I am happy to say that when I woke this morning I felt good. I feel back to my 'normal' self. I'm so glad because I was about to give up on this.

Good luck to everyone!

Sherry

lburnikell Tue, Jul-29-03 11:19

yes I lost quickly in my first week 11bs to be exact how much of this was water I dont know but it gave me one hell of a boost I am now into my 22nd day and have lost 19.5 lbs. I think it will start to slow it usually does, but that boost, makes the hard toil feel a lot easier!!
So a big well done and lets hope more come off!!

GOOD LUCK

peckish Tue, Jul-29-03 11:20

Good for you, Sherry, for seeing such a big loss!

I would advise you to get your hands on a book or two (your profile doesn't mention any) and read more on low-carbing - Atkins, Protein Power, etc. all give the basics.

My "short answer" to you would be this: I think a very large loss in a short period (a couple of days) at the very start of induction can be explained by the fact that when you stop ingesting large amounts of carbs, often one's body seems to let go of a lot of water weight as well as some bodyfat - I believe it has to do with stored glycogen.

But don't let that worry you - for lots of us, seeing the numbers on the scale go down so quickly in the first week is plenty motivation to continue controlling our carbs, and seeing our bodyfat reduce even further.

Good luck!

gawdess Tue, Jul-29-03 11:58

I lost about 7 pounds in the first week, I am on week two and havent lost anymore just yet.....I am kind of glad it slowed down, I was scared to lose it that fast

Coolcat Tue, Jul-29-03 12:02

Dandr

DANDR tells us that the first few days of induction is when we use up our glycogen/sugar reserves. The first 2 weeks is when most people notice the most weight loss on this plan. The more you have to lose, the more you lose initially. Water is the first to go.. then fat. You'll most likely see a quick drop in weight or size and then it'll taper off or slow down.

I'm probably <20lbs from my ideal goal weight, so my loss isn't dramatic like others here. I've decided to combat my extra pounds with diet AND exercise. I frequent the gym quite often now. :)

Good luck!

sbermudez Tue, Jul-29-03 14:47

Thank you! I thought maybe I was going crazy when I looked at the scale and saw 6 lbs off.. It does give motivation to go on with it though.