Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   A funny thing happened to me in the grocery store (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25158)

AngelaR Fri, Nov-09-01 18:59

A funny thing happened to me in the grocery store

Tonight was my first major shopping since I started.

Except for fresh veggies and meat, the entire rest of the shopping was like a trip to the library. Reading the labels on EVERYTHING for the carb counts, protein grams and additives. Low fat stuff really does have more carbs!!! I can't believe I have become a label reader. I can't believe I had the discipline to actually put stuff back on the shelf because it was a bad choice.

I completely forgot to pick up bread. Didn't even think to go into the bread aisle to pick some up for my husband. It just wasn't part of my mindset. I like this!!!

The woman who went into the grocery store is not the same one that came out. I would never have dreamed that a trip to the market would be enlightening, and a major milestone in my life.

:p

Karen Fri, Nov-09-01 19:24

It's cool isn't it? So much changes with this WOL, including shopping habits. It's so much faster to shop the "ring around the carbs" that are against the walls of grocery stores. I sometimes venture to the middle when I want to have a laugh! ;)

Karen

AngelaR Fri, Nov-09-01 19:36

*LOL* yup, it is a "ring around the carbs" and it makes life easy

Confession time..I went down the chips and snacks aisle, but it was only to try to find pork rinds. I have been searching everywhere for them here to no avail. They used to be standard fare in the chips aisle when I was a teenager! Guess there's too many other "all natural" (yeah right) chips and no fat popcorn snacks ;) to choose from. Next time I go to the city I'll try some of the bigger markets. We live in a very small town and selection is limited on a lot of things.

doreen T Fri, Nov-09-01 19:50

hi Angela

I'm in Kingston.

Bulk Barn carries Porky's brand pork rinds for $1.09 a bag. Be aware that the barbecue flavour has sugar in the seasoning, not a lot, but it is there nonetheless. IGA's carry the Porky's brand too .. I've heard in small towns! The IGA in Kingston doesn't have them .. :rolleyes:

Loblaws and Superstore carry Old Grandad's brand. Slightly larger bag for $1.79 last time I checked. Shoppers' Drug Mart also has the Old Grandad's brand ... they keep them with the nuts, crackers and snacks ... not the chips. Same price.

Pork rinds are popular in east Asia, so you are likely to find them in any Asian market too.

HTH,

Doreen

joanne42 Fri, Nov-09-01 19:56

The only aisles I tend to go into are the meat section , dairy section and of course the peanuts section..heheh

DesertRose Fri, Nov-09-01 20:54

On a mission!!

Hi AngelaR,

I love going grocery shopping. I look at almost every product to see which ones I could buy that has little to no carbs. I think I'm looking to discover a product that has low carbs that no one knew about. :rolleyes:

I did find some syrup made with splenda that was 4 grams per 1/4 cup. :D

:rose: DesertRose

Allymich Sat, Nov-10-01 00:52

taking about shoping

you know since I started this diet, I been buying product that have the same color ( dont ask why) like yellow.... for nuts, pork rinds chicken and cheese.
deep green for the vegatable that fall in that color.
red for the glorious meat. uhmm such a simple diet.
but any ways.. since I like sweets and crunchy stuff.... now what I do is that I buy pork rind and melt a bit of butter with splenda mix in it, brush it on the pork rinds and sprinkle some cinnamon.
gosh it is so good. taste like cinnabons, but I wonder if it is legal or am i killing my weight lost with it. :confused:

LC Sponge Sat, Nov-10-01 12:08

Doreen - everytime you use "bulk barn" in a sentence, I find myself planning a trip there. I hadn't ever set foot in there before a couple of weeks ago and somehow in all those trips, I've missed the pork rinds. Back again!

Angela - I "browse" in grocery stores now, the way I used to "browse" in hardware stores! I'll wander in just to read labels and then after an hour, pick up the cream I came in for and head out. I especially like Loblaws with those huge nutrition sections now - there's very little low carb - most is high protein, but it's fun all the same. I'm like DesertRose - looking to make a discovery :)

Ka3n Sat, Nov-10-01 14:31

Quote:
I "browse" in grocery stores now, the way I used to "browse" in hardware stores!
Does the adage 'there's a tool for everything' translate into LC WOL for you? ;)

LC Sponge Sat, Nov-10-01 16:29

LOL - it's more like "finding the RIGHT tool to do the job!"

Ka3n Sat, Nov-10-01 19:59

LOL LC

We're still talking LC here aren't we? ;)

doreen T Sat, Nov-10-01 21:49

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
Doreen - everytime you use "bulk barn" in a sentence, I find myself planning a trip there. I hadn't ever set foot in there before a couple of weeks ago and somehow in all those trips, I've missed the pork rinds. Back again!
They're at the back, across from the refrigerator (and the pet food!) They have Stevia too, next to the vanilla and flavour extracts. Only thing, I wanted to CROWN my girlfriend's skinny husband one time, he started cracking jokes about how the Bulk Barn is right next to Penningtons plus-size fashions.

:doah:

Doreen

LC Sponge Sun, Nov-11-01 06:40

Could have been worse, Doreen - he could be joking about it being across from Petcetera!!! LOL

Katherine - why whatever do you mean {{{ innocent look}}}} :) (I think having a beer with you would be fun)