Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Tomatoes off the vine (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122320)

eester Sat, Jul-12-03 15:28

Tomatoes off the vine

It's harvest season. I panted boatloads of tomatoes (yellow, orange, cherry, roma, beefsteak, etc). We are having an expectionally good harvest this summer. How manyof these yummy babies can I eat in one day? I'm tyring to stay below 25 carbs per day-Fitday says a cup of cherry tomatoes is 6,91 grams, but has 1.94 grams of fiber.

What if I skip the salad and just eat tomatoes?

What do you think? (The garden was planted pre-atkins).

manucpa Sat, Jul-12-03 17:04

Well, it sure isn't an even trade off. Salad greens have very few carbs, jush use Fitday to crunch the numbers

Arie Sat, Jul-12-03 17:31

According to the USDA database, a summer tomato has 6g of carbs and 1.2g of fiber. Net carbs ~4.8g. However, it is the kind of carbs (from fruit) that will effect your insulin levels..

manucpa Sat, Jul-12-03 17:46

a Tomatoe is a fruit afterall !

yvonne326 Sat, Jul-12-03 18:02

I would eat one at most a day...high in carbs unfortunately... I too will have a big harvest in about 1 month...I cannot believe how many "babies" are popping :)

Zuleikaa Sat, Jul-12-03 18:08

Use 1/4-1/2 tomato or 3-4 cherry tomatoes in your salad and enjoy!!!

Kathy54 Sat, Jul-12-03 21:22

I eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a hot tomatoe everyday, some days more, just adjust other carbs, but not the lettuce or greens we need them.

Next year plant Roma's they have fewer carbs and make a wonderfull sauce.

Cheers Kathy

saltnpeppa Sat, Jul-12-03 22:00

can you can them or make a tomato/spaghetti sauce that you can enjoy when the colder months hit and you're a little further along. I agree with the posts above that you should keep tomatoes to a minimum.

Birddog Sat, Jul-12-03 22:16

Tomatoes are wonderful, but do be careful

sheaman Sun, Jul-13-03 08:20

Tomatoes pack such a healthy punch. They really are SO healthy. I eat them whenever I want..

We didn't get fat b/c we ate tomatoes!

Joy

Maddi Sun, Jul-13-03 10:33

Kathy 54, I noticed on your weight loss chart a beginning pattern similar to mine. I am on induction, day 13. The first week I lost very nicely. The second week I am on a frustrating plateau. According to you records, same for you. What did you do--stay on induction? I have been beating myself up wondering if I have done the Atkins "kiss of death" by cheating the tiniest bit. I have had a few cups of tea and one wild strawberry. Other than that I have stayed on track! Is it the tomatoes? I was reading a thread where they are only 5 carbs but considered to be a fruit. Yet they are on his list of induction foods allowed. He also lists cheeses as free. But cream cheese is 8 carbs a cup--is it free because it is high in fat? Is it really free? Because I have been counting it in my carb count. I guess what I am looking for is opinions on whether I need to try eat more fat to get ketosis happening, or whether I need to just hang in there and wait this plateau out. My keytone strip is always at the lightest colour and almost not that. Almost unchanged. I need advice and/or assurance.

justcindy Sun, Jul-13-03 10:35

Mmmmm....tomatoes still hot from the sun. I would have to have one a day and adjust my carbs for the rest of the day. Enjoy them! Sure wish I would have planted some this year.....

oregano Mon, Jul-14-03 06:42

What could be better than a fresh-picked garden tomato, sliced thick, drizzled with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh basil leaves on top? YUM!

stacysheil Mon, Jul-14-03 06:51

Do any of you know how to make the tomatoe/speghetti sauce. I too have a lot of tomatos this year but I dont like themunless it is tomato sauce.