Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   To count Net Carbs or not to count... (?) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133603)

spryng Thu, Aug-28-03 10:24

To count Net Carbs or not to count... (?)

I've been on atkins several times before and never counted net carbs because it wasn't part of the diet then... but this time around I have read all about the net carbs and why fiber and sugar alcohols should be subtracted etc. But today a good friend of mine said she read on the atkins site that they are thinking about going back to the old way... to count all carbs again.
So my question is this... do you count net carbs? Do you think if I only counted the total carbs then I'd lose weight faster or more efficiently? I'm really confused on this now. Maybe by counting net carbs that is why my weightloss is so slow this time... I thought it was because I've done so much dieting in the last few years. So I'm just curious who believes in Net Carbs and who still counts the old way??? Any info and advice would be appreciated. :) TIA

Sinbad Thu, Aug-28-03 10:31

Hiya

I consider ALL carbs except fibre... (but then again here in the UK fibre is not included in the total carb count)...
Net carbs doesn't take into account things like sugar alcohols etc, which your body does use for fuel and which can trigger an insulin reaction - so I don't trust any of that stuff :)

This is what works for me, your mileage may of course vary ...

Steven

lkonzelman Thu, Aug-28-03 10:32

You body doesn't digest fiber so that can be subtracted.

Now the sugar alcohol thing.... hummmm... Stalls lots of people. Can cause cravings...... This is what we call here a YMMV (your mileage may vary). My thoughts: It should be recommended to avoid during induction but try when ready. Watch cravings and weight. If you can... enjoy. If you have issues... wait for maintenance.

lissame Thu, Aug-28-03 10:41

I count all carbs. Wish I counted net... omgosh soo many yummy looking things out there, lol. But nope, staying to what I feel comfortable with.

Might wanna add - I do pay "attention" to the fiber count on alot of things so that when I reach OWL or further along the road, I know what products are better choices for me. I DO think fiber may be deducted, however I just don't do it.

Karen Lynn Thu, Aug-28-03 11:16

I've found a vegetable broth that's really good. I even put it in green beans and it makes them taste wonderful. I also use it for vege soup. that's nice when you are sick.

hope you feel better soon!

Shellyf34 Thu, Aug-28-03 12:08

Your metabolsim is slower because of the dieting...trust me! :rolleyes:

I am having the same problem this time around, and should have sticked to maintainance when I reached goal the last time! I do however, subtract fiber from the overall carb count. why count what you can't digest?

awlass Sun, Mar-28-10 20:50

those who count all carbs, how many total carbs do you get for induction???

cnmLisa Sun, Mar-28-10 21:14

In my world if it isn't fiber it gets counted. Period. No higher math skills needed.

Nicolby Mon, Mar-29-10 08:42

I subtract fiber, but that's it. I'm not counting something that I don't technically digest anyway.

Elizellen Mon, Mar-29-10 14:39

Me too - and anyway over here in UK fibre is not counted as a carb on our labels.

lyndahh75 Mon, Mar-29-10 16:23

Atkins book from the 70's focused on real foods. Not the atkins bars etc. Personally I know that if I delve into the net carb thing, and eat these tempting looking bars etc i will eventually crave, and want more. Why tinker with a good thing? Focus on the real foods, the natural foods, and when it has fiber,ie veggies, they are healthier as opposed to the bars and other faux meals concocted by the low carb craze that marketers couldn't wait to cash in on...