Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Orange flavour soda/pop (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185058)

lemontree Mon, May-17-04 13:34

Orange flavour soda/pop

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question from the #1 lurker here. I went to the Low Carb Gallery in Edmonton and was thrilled to see the sugar free syrups by davinci. It was my only reason for going cause all the other low carb stuff for me just triggers cravings and I find I have no self control around them.

Having something fizzy to drink is something I really miss. So of the flavours that were there that I could add to club soda were cola, root beer, orange, grape, and something else.

I ended up getting the root beer and it's alright but I really wanted the orange one. For some reason I thought there was something I heard about orange syrup or just anything orange flavoured as far as diet drinks go. Did I just make this up in my mind or is it okay for me to go and get this syrup so I can have an orange soda...or if you're Canadian like me you say orange pop.

Since we don't have Diet Rite here this is my only choice for diet pop sweetened with Splenda.

I don't miss the breads or potatoes or anything like that but I REALLY miss the sugar and goodies. Having a pop really satisfies me too.

Is there anything good or bad about diet orange pop or just maybe the davinci orange flavoured sugar-free syrup.

Thanks gang!!

JeannieM Mon, May-17-04 13:48

I drink orange soda fairly regularly -- we have 2 main brands down here in Arizona, Sunkist and Crush. The Orange Crush is loaded with carbs though, so I only buy the Sunkist. So if you DO decide to drink orange soda, look carefully at the labels before you buy (You probably do this anyway, but I was SHOCKED to see the carb count in diet orange crush!).

Jeannie

lemontree Mon, May-17-04 14:10

Thanks JeannieM. I wish I could drink regular diet soda. But I'm trying to avoid aspartame (I know it would stall me). So my only choices in Canada right now is the Davinci sugar free syrups. I really want to buy the orange sugar free syrup (sweetened with Splenda) so I can mix it with club soda.......has anyone heard anything bad about orange pop or the orange flavoured syrup?

Rocky_Cdn Mon, May-17-04 15:47

I haven't heard anything bad about them at all. I just bought the orange and the cola flavours, and have tried them with club soda. Yum! I also tried the float that so many people talk about - just put in a little bit of whipping (heavy) cream. Man, was that good! And legal!! :lol:

There's also a good recipe for chicken using orange pop (soda!), and I'm keeping my eye out for more.

Enjoy!

lemontree Mon, May-17-04 16:57

Thanks Rocky Cdn.,

I'll be going to buy the orange syrup. Technically they count as 0 carbs right? Or do you count them as anything at all? How much to do you have...one pop a day less/more?

Before these sugar-free syrups came along I was drinking Perrier Lemon-lime flavoured for the fizz (barely taste it...zero cal and zero carb) I was looking for but now I need fizz with some flavour.

hidees13 Mon, May-17-04 17:51

Hey guys... have you tried the Tangerine Diet Rite? It tastes just like Orange pop to me... They carry it at my Fred Meyer store... which is krogers to non oregon washington people...

Check it out.

Elisann Mon, May-17-04 20:56

I don't know of any reason why the orange would be different than the other Davinci syrups....and they are zero carbs becaues the carbs in the powdered splenda come from the fillers so when it's in liquid form it has no carbs. Enjoy your pop!

Rocky_Cdn Mon, May-17-04 23:10

We Canucks don't get the diet rite pops (sodas?).

Yes Lemontree, they're 0 carbs and 0 calories. Just a wee bit of sodium.

I only have about 2 a week - but that's personal preference. I think if I have them too often, I won't drink my water! But we're all different, so whatever works for you, go for it!

P.S. Nice to meet someone else from this part of the world!

Rocky

maxspeed Tue, May-18-04 10:40

It says 0 carbs on my diet crush can ?! ... How can it be loaded with carbs?
sucralose 24 mg per 100 ml ? maybe 2-3 carbs per can?

missymagoo Fri, May-21-04 19:11

i buy the tangerine diet rite . i am wanting to buy the davinci orange flavor to put over club soda. i have been drinking more water than pop anymore. if i drink 2 pops a day i am lucky. sue

JeannieM Sat, May-22-04 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspeed
It says 0 carbs on my diet crush can ?! ... How can it be loaded with carbs?
sucralose 24 mg per 100 ml ? maybe 2-3 carbs per can?

This has come up before. It seems that diet crush may have different formulations depending on where you are. If I remember correctly, the diet crush in Canada has 0 carbs, but down here in Arizona it has 5 carbs per can. When this came up in another thread several months ago, the original poster was drinking 4 or 5 cans of crush a day and he didn't realize that he was consuming so many excess carbs. It can add up.

Jeannie

maxspeed Sun, May-23-04 11:39

I still lose if i have 2 cans per day.... yes, im in canada...

Carolie Tue, May-25-04 20:59

I use the Davinci orange syrup w/ sparkling water and it's great! It's also great to make an Italian soda with a bit of cream. I sometimes add Davinci banana syrup to it. There's lots of options to mix together or separately. The rasberry, peach, and coconut have also been great.