Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Leg Cramps (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=81271)

milmndude Sun, Jan-19-03 09:53

Leg Cramps

I have completed week one of induction on Atkins. So far, not bad, except the past 3 nites, I have been having leg cramps in my calf muscles. :confused: What are the causes of the cramps? I am taking a calcium supplement. Not wanting to use a pain reliever (Ibuprofen)due to the inherent water retention.

Can anyone offer some insightful information :q:

Thanks!

milmndude :D

:wave:

Lisa N Sun, Jan-19-03 11:08

Does your calcium supplement also have magnesium in it? If it does, then potassium is probably what you are lacking. Try adding 200 mg. of potassium, but check with your doctor first if you are taking any kind of medication for blood pressure. :)
You can also try eating more veggies that are naturally high in potassium such as spinach, broccoli or avocados.

GetN-SkinE Sun, Jan-19-03 19:04

Leg Cramps

I have to agree with Lisa N.

The first two weeks on Atkins I had BAD leg cramps. By part way through the 2nd week I re-read in the book how adding Potasium would stop that cramping. (Note: I was already taking Calcium.) By 3rd week, by taking Potasium, no more leg cramps. Still taking Potasium & only get leg cramps if I forget to take vitamins for 3 days in a row.

Natrushka Sun, Jan-19-03 20:18

Yep, definitely sounds like a magnesium deficiency. You'll want to get a supplement that's of the chelated variety and you're looking at a dose of 400-600mg a day.

You can often get a combination calcium / magnesium in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg cal / 167 mg magnesium) - be sure the calcium is also chelated and not from carbonate (oyster shells) as it's very hard to digest and cause tummy troubles. Taking the dose throughout the day helps big time, and having one pill before bed will go a long way to dealing with those cramps that happen at night. Magnesium is also very soothing and can help you sleep like the dead.

Potassium can be supplemented up to 400mg a day, but as warned, be sure you're well hydrated and check first if you have a heart condition. Extra potassium can be needed on very hot days and days when you're exercising intensely.

Nat

milmndude Sun, Jan-19-03 21:20

:thup: Hey 'all, thanks so much for your input...the wealth of knowledge that comes from experience is very helpful for those of us beginning this new journey.

Thanks again,

milmndude

:cheer:

BlueAngel Mon, Jan-20-03 03:31

No Salt

Also potassium lack can cause cramps... I use No Salt and just sprinkle it on liberally on all that I eat. I also take cranberry tablets as they are high in potassium.

Anne-Marie