Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Veggie Suggestions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130036)

SabbyKay Tue, Aug-12-03 12:48

Veggie Suggestions

Hi,

I just registered for this website and I am extrememly excited. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good quality veggies to eat during Induction. I am extrememly concerned about constipation. I have heard the psyllum husk capsules work, however, I want to solve the issues naturally if possible. Any suggestions for salads and dinner veggies?

SabbyKay

lbiessen Tue, Aug-12-03 13:08

I eat a lot of lettuce, cabbage, string beans and lots of water, water water.

amy576 Tue, Aug-12-03 13:20

I agree - water, water, water. Also green beans, spinach, etc.

Welcome! & Good-luck!!!

~Amy

tracyw Tue, Aug-12-03 13:55

Lots of greenbeans, broccoli, salad, spinach, shrooms, zuchini, and 3-4 psyllium husk capsules 3 times a day. I haven't gotten constipated on this WOL/WOE except for the couple of times I have cheated.
And, to encourage you further,SabbyKay, I (purposefully) don't have a scale so I can't tell you anything about how many pounds I have lost, but I have been doing this since June 25th and I am fitting into jeans I couldn't wear a few months ago. I am also getting compliments about how my face looks thinner etc. I feel like I am slowly shrinking. I started with about 35 pounds to lose and I am on my way. Plus my energy is great, my skin is in the best shape of my entire adult life, and my moods have evened out. Sugar and carbs were/are poison to me. So...Good luck! You can do it!!

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy

sunseeker Tue, Aug-12-03 14:07

Can you eat green beans on induction???

doreen T Tue, Aug-12-03 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker
Can you eat green beans on induction???

Yes. String or wax beans are on the list of allowed vegetables for Induction. Enjoy :thup:

Doreen

Hilary M Tue, Aug-12-03 14:28

Try cauliflower with brown butter -- just take a stick or half a stick of butter (NOT margarine) and melt it over medium heat in a cast-iron skillet. Keep it on the heat, stirring occasionally, until it's brown but not black. It's a little more work than just using regular butter, but it really adds a whole new flavor that I love.

willbthin Thu, Jul-15-04 20:51

i appreciate the veggie suggestions, i want to follow the original cad, but i know i never eat enough veggies. i love soup also, so i have to find lowcarb recipes or soup.

rloveman Thu, Jul-15-04 21:30

I've developed a taste for broccoli, microwaved and then topped with cold butter and stirred till the butter melts in.

For "regularity," try to eat plenty of spinach. Seems to work for me. I was told it was the magnesium content.

I also like eggplant, usually grilled or broiled with a bit of olive oil, maybe some herbs, and a sprinkle of feta on top.

bigted Thu, Jul-15-04 22:00

I make my own soup using different veggies depending on what is in season and what I fancy. I have crockpot cooked chicken, cabbage and zucchini in the fridge at the moment. I keep track of the ingredients list them in fit day and then portion it out (usually a cup at a time) then I know what's in a cup. I use it when I'm working for lunch as I freeze it an take a portion out a day and it's instant lunch with a little cheese and fresh veggies.
In the past I have put cauliflower, brocolli, cabbage, mushrooms zucchini, spinach and green beans for example.

caverjen Fri, Jul-16-04 06:12

go to the Atkins website - they have a long list of veggies suitable for induction

2bthn1smor Fri, Jul-16-04 06:53

Trying cooking your veggies in chicken broth for a different, delicious flavor. I add fresh minced garlic and various herbs, too.

CindyG Fri, Jul-16-04 12:11

I never needed to take the psyllum husks during induction. I ate at least 2 cups of salad veggies daily, usually romaine or spinach and another cup of veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus. Make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz of water every day and you might not need the husks either.

Good Luck!