Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   HELP! I have such a cold and sore throat, what can i take?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148831)

pammiejoe6 Thu, Nov-13-03 23:05

HELP! I have such a cold and sore throat, what can i take??

hello all....im suffering from a cold today and feel crappy as hell.....whats a good remedy for a cough, sore throat and overall stuffiness that doesnt have sugar in it?? i dont even know if cough syrup has a lable on it saying how many carbs are in it....hmmm...any home remedy ideas?? Im desperate!! we're planning to go out to dinner tomorrow night ( never fails) and im sick....crapola!!! I appreciate any input at all....THANX!!

ALEKA Thu, Nov-13-03 23:51

When I have a sore throat/cold- I use sugar free cough drops. They help--I also drink hot lemonade minus the sugar and replace the sweet with some salt. You can also gargle with salt water--that helps too. Lastly--I rub my chest/ neck and under my nose with vick-vaporub when I go to bed at night and also take some tylenol/asprin/or motrin. Hope this helps--I know some gals take those zinc lozenges but I really don't know much about them. Alice

Debi Warne Fri, Nov-14-03 08:56

You could ask your pharmacist what would be good for your symtoms in the diabetic section. Also lots of rest and lots of liquids.

Lozengers: Halls has a sugar free, Robitussin has robitussy (diabetic formulas) and NICE is a sugar free lozenger.

Maybe some hot teas with lemon and chicken broth would help sooth your throat.

Get better soon.

Jade74 Fri, Nov-14-03 10:34

Definitely gargle some warm salt water, that really helps the sore throat.

Kristine Fri, Nov-14-03 10:50

One word: Buckley's. I'm pretty sure it has to be imported from Canada, so you might have to call around, but I swear by this stuff. It's the most god-awful thing you will ever taste in your life - it tastes like hair dye mixed with Pine sol :lol: - but dang, it works. (And there's no sugar. ;) )

Ghost Fri, Nov-14-03 16:37

I just went through a bad cold. I found Ricola Cough Drops. I believe they have 2 different sugar free kinds, Echinacea and Original Herbs.

Lori H Fri, Nov-14-03 20:45

Robitussin has a pill form (liquid gel type) that is for coughs and Dayquil has the same thing in different formulas. I've been fighting the same thing for 2 weeks now and finally went to the doctor yesterday. I hope you feel better!

Lisa N Fri, Nov-14-03 21:38

Mix 1 tsp. table salt with 8 oz. of warm water and gargle with it (don't swallow! :p ). My DH swears by this for a sore throat. I, OTOH, have never been able to manage it because gargling anything makes me gag. I take Ibuprofen (Motrin) for the sore throat, sugar free cough drops and Robitussin liquigels or Diabetic Tussin (sugar-free). Lots of people hate the smell of this, but Vicks vaporub cream does wonders for a cough and helps with the congestion as well; just wear a loose shirt or top while you have it on (I usually only put it on at night before bed when I need to use it).
Hope you feel better soon!