Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New to lowcarb *first day (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=18997)

techgirl Wed, Sep-05-01 08:48

New to lowcarb *first day

Hi, it's my first day. I am a newbie. I have been trying to loose weight for as long as I can remember and I hope this new WOE will work for me. I am facing a big challenge as I want to go down to 150 from 235. I am hopefull I can do it. It's very hard for me to stick a eating plan since I travel for work, I mean I eat in restaurant every day, three times a day....for 45 weeks out of the year. So, you can see how it has been really hard for me to focuse on healthy habits. But, I think I can do it with the low-carb WOE.

Would love to hear from people who travel alot and can give me some tips on how to stay on track. Thanks and wish me luck.

Linnea Wed, Sep-05-01 08:55

Great to see you, Techgirl

I can't say I travel a lot. But I do work in the heart of Vancouver...and I am horrible at making myself lunches. So, what alternative is there? Must eat out! :D

I have found eating out is really not that bad. I will give you some examples of my experiences.

I love sushi...however, rice is out. Sashimi! (just the fish)

McDonald's cheeseburgers taste EXACTLY the same with no bun...also you can have a side of nuggets.

Greek, I get the potatoes exchanged for greek salad and a meatball instead of the rice.

Chinese, Stir Fry with no rice.

Churches chicken. Need I say more.

At last but not least. You have to love salads. Every restaurant has salads right.

whew...blabbering.

Good luck. Keep us in the loop as to how things are going.

techgirl Wed, Sep-05-01 09:01

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the stir fry at lunch.
I had a ham and onion omellet at breakfast with grapefruit juice. I think the grapefruit juice was a mistake???? not sure???

Can anyone tell me if grapefruit juice is OK?

Natrushka Wed, Sep-05-01 09:01

Traveling and LC

Hello and welcome tech. You've found the right place for information and support. Good luck to you.

Regarding the travelling. Work usually dictates I travel a bit each year (one week a month from Oct - May). While eating low fat, I was very uncomfortable with the idea of dining out for 3 meals, however I think it will be easier with this WOE. I know I can always find a ceasar salad with chicken, a good steak w/ veggies, chicken wings (yum)... and breafasts arent going to be a problem anymore... leftovers. Finding skim milk, fresh fruit and "healthy" foods in a city that is foreign to you isnt easy.... and thankfully its no longer necessary.

Once you get the hang of LC, you'll see just how EASY this WOL is and just how great it makes you feel!

Cheers,
Nat

Natrushka Wed, Sep-05-01 09:04

Quote:
Originally posted by techgirl
I think the grapefruit juice was a mistake???? not sure???
Can anyone tell me if grapefruit juice is OK?

I see you're following Suzanne Sommers, so I'm pretty sure grapfruit juice is OK. If you were on Atkins or PP it would be a No-No. You might want to pull out your copy of the Sommers book and do a quick re-read. The comments made on here tend to be from people following a much stricter low carb program than you're on, it might be confusing.

I also noticed you're in Ottawa. Hi Neighbour!
Nat

wangeci Wed, Sep-05-01 09:24

Welcome aboard, I just came on here yesterday, although I have tried the LC plan before and it worked fabulous for me, I just let myself veer away from it for much too long and want to get back on track. I was looking at your numbers and we are starting at the same, so thought we have a little something in common. I want to stay connected to this support board so I can stay on track and hit and maybe surpass my goals. Hope you do to.

I do not travel, but most restaurants have wonderful salads, like chicken Caeser, blackened chicken, or steak, go for those, there are tons of choices when you are out to eat, ask for extra cheese on stuff, eat the great burgers and chicken filets but without bread and ask for vegetables instead of fries.
Good luck.
Cindy:eek:

tamarian Wed, Sep-05-01 10:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

I see you're following Suzanne Sommers, so I'm pretty sure grapfruit juice is OK.

Not familiar with Sommersizing, but why drink juice, which generally has 10 times the carbs and calories of it's equivilant size in the fruit itself.

Wa'il

doreen T Wed, Sep-05-01 10:09

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
....why drink juice, which generally has 10 times the carbs and calories of it's equivilant size in the fruit itself.
My thought exactly. Half a medium-sized red grapefruit has approx. 11 carbs of which over 2g is fiber. Certainly can even be incorporated into a lower carb plan, such as PP, or the later stages of Atkins.

Doreen

techgirl Wed, Sep-05-01 10:32

Thanks for the information on grapefruit juice and such. I will try to stay away from it. It's not my favorite anyway.

Cheers

debbiedobson Wed, Sep-05-01 11:36

welcome techgirl!:D hope to hear more from you!