Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Supplements Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132329)

IthinkIcan Fri, Aug-22-03 08:31

Supplements Question

Okay, I know the Atkins diet inside and out, however, I cannot for the life of me understand this part.
When I was successful before on Atkins, I simply skipped the vitamins part. Now, I want to make sure I am following everything as best as I can. So here's my problem. I want to make sure what I am taking is enough and correct. I am taking Basic 3 and Dieter's Advantage. Now, here's the problem. I look on the label of Basic 3 and its 3 a day! :eek: Holy moly, do I seriously need to take 3 of those a day?? I have been taking 1-2 of those daily and 1 Dieter's Advantage. And even that says 2 times a day! I also bought those Omega Oils and gooooooodneeeessss gracious, I can't stand to even open the bottle much less attempt to get one of those in my mouth. They stink to high heaven! :lol:
So any suggestions, knowledge and advice, I'd sure appreciate it!

Elihnig Fri, Aug-22-03 10:08

I used to have trouble taking any kind of pill.

So, many years ago, I started with just a children's chewable vitamin. Then I added vitamin C and chromium. Then I got chewable calcium/magnesium. Then I realized that my cal/mag didn't have enough magnesium and added that. Then I got pregnant and tried to eat those prenatal vitamins with less success. (My baby is going to be a year old next week!)

Nowadays I take a one a day, with a cal/mag, a C, an E with B complex, and a fish oil. I take them again in the evening with supper, except for the one a day. Sometimes I supplement with a chromium or potassium if I think I need them. I've also been known to take L-glutamine sometimes.

You don't have to take Dr. Atkins supplements but you should take something. You can work up slowly to it like I did. I find it easier to take them with food.

You shouldn't be able to smell the omega oils, I don't think. I've had good luck with just fish oil capsules. They might be rancid or punctured or something.

Good luck!

Beth

lissame Fri, Aug-22-03 10:40

Dr A's vitamins would leave me broke... I shop Walmart for my vits mostly.

One Source and Spring Valley are wonderful low cost alternatives and I don't have any complaints with my success on this WOE.

Breakfast:
1 High Potency Multi-Vitamin (One Source brand)
1 B-Complex 150 (GNC brand)
2 Potassium 99 (Spring Valley brand)
1 Extra Strength Fish Oil (Spring Valley brand)
Lunch:
1 Extra Strength Fish Oil
Bedtime:
1 Calcium 600 (Spring Valley brand)

The fish oil I take has no smell whatsoever. I tried taking a Valerian Root before to help me sleep... the smell alone sent me running to the bathroom - I don't know how you do it!

RandiS Fri, Aug-22-03 13:47

I take the Basic #3 3 times a day, one after each meal. I also take Dieters Advange 2 pills twice a day for a total of 4. I take two one hour before my morning workout and two one hour before my dinner meal. I also take a probiotic twice a day for de yeasting.