Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Running... I hated it, now I am starting to like it! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159348)

burm Tue, Jan-13-04 22:49

Running... I hated it, now I am starting to like it!

Hello,

I started running on 1/5/04. I HATED IT. Why did i hate it so much for so many years? Because I got tired and winded fast. But man.. now that I am have been doing it for 8 days, I am starting to like it! I am actually looking forward to waking up early!

The first day i could barely run 2 Min w/out loosing my breath and being tired. Over the last week I have gotten myself from 2 Min to a full Mile run. I think thats a HUGE accomplishment for me. I went out and got myself a great pair of shoes (New Balance 2001's) which are great and really cussion and support your feet.

I set a goal today to run a 3K fun run/race which is about 3.1 miles. I want to do with with in 3 months. I am hoping I can accomplish this. I dont see it being a real problem as long as I stick to my routeen (which is running 4 times a week) I hope to run 5 times a week soon but my muscles need time to recover.

Any tips from runners / joggers out there? and what do you think of my progress so far?

P.S. You can view my progress in my Journel or on my website in the links in my signature.
Thanks guys!

Galadriell Wed, Jan-14-04 10:09

Greetings from a fellow runner:-)

You are doing great!!!
I started "running" 1/5/03. Last January. Actually my legs were so weak, and my 35 lbs excess weight was such a big burden, that for one month I could only walk. Started real running after one month. Started with 1 mile. Reached 5k/3.1 mile at the end of March.
Your trainng program is good, and I agree, during first weeks is better to have more rest days, to give time for your legs to recover.
As some encouragement. When you reach the 5k/3.1 mile everything will be much easier. 30 min/3 mile seems to be a magic line. I read many books, articles, running logs - most of them mention the same experience. Sore legs, lost breath during the first weeks/months, and sudden improvement from the day when first runing 30min/3 mile.
To have a race goal - the best motivation.
To buy a good running shoes - the best first step. (NB has excellent running shoes.)
I am looking forward to read your running log here, or on your web site.

burm Wed, Jan-14-04 15:49

I am having some nice shin splints right now... But I did get a nice pair of New Balance 2001's. They were expensive but well worth it because they are extremly confortable... I caint even imagine running 30 min now :) trying to get ot 15 first... I gotta run.. I am going to the gym in 5 min when works over.. :)

dug Wed, Jan-14-04 15:58

shin splints can be caused by shoes, even good shoes if they support your foot incorrectly. If the shin pain does not go away go see a sports doctor and have your step analyzed and he can then tell you waht shoe you should be wearing. My first pair of shoes were good running shoes but cause my foot to under pronate which my foot already did on its own. So it actually was causing the pain. When I switched to a neutral shoe the pain went away. The shoe really really matters! Another thing about shin splint is that they can be caused by stress fractures so if they persist see a doctor.

chunkybutt Tue, Jan-20-04 18:40

I totally hear ya! I joined a gym in the beggining of January, and this my third week, I am really getting into the running. I always wanted to run, but I hated that I had no endurance.

I am up to 13 minutes as of yesterday (then stop and go walk run from there on a 30 min treamill workout) and I want to be up to 20 by the end of next week. And I close my gym workout now after weights, with a 5 minute hard run... and it is like nothing to me... before I could barely run 2 min!

So to you runners... I have found that I need to carb up a little before the gym... I have been eating a wasa crisp (10 carbs) with 2 tbs PB (10 carbs) about 2 hours before I go the gym... and i seem to get an energry rush.

Is this ok? I am doing about a 55 min total cardio with light weight routine? Havent been weighing in, trying not to. But what is your food/carb intake?

burm Tue, Jan-20-04 21:14

Hey guys..

I managed to get my MP3 player working again, which I found the last two days to be great to help w/the cardio :)

But what I have been doing b/c of the shin splints is using the cross trainer at the gym to help ease the pain a big and get my body used to the pounding of running. I am up to 40 min of cardio on the crosstrainer (which i think is a huge accomplishment) I am keeping my heart rate at 160ish for 35 of the 40 min and I feel really confortable doing that. What ya think? I posted some other info on my journal if interested.

Seeya

burm Tue, Jan-20-04 21:16

Oh yea by-the-way I caint wait to get back to running, I am just waiting it out another day or two to build up / and give the shin split area a pounding break. I was talking w/a trainer friend and he said the best thing is to not to anything to heal the splints.. But thats really not a option for me.. I need to keep going :)

climbergrl Wed, Jan-21-04 09:37

Ahh....shin splints....
here's some advice...I've been running for 15+ years and have had my share of shin splints.
The splints are caused by the pounding, and generally your foot structure. If you have flat feet or your feet tend to roll inwards then he pain shoots up your shin.
the pain is caused by inflammation, and the BEST thing to take to remove the inflammation (but not maskt he pain so that you have a false sense of wellness and go out and make them worse) is ALLEVE, or any sort of NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory)
Prevention would be the next step. Get yourself a good pair of insoles (superfeet are one option) They make a huge difference,e specially if you don't want to shell out 200 bucks on orthotics.
Strenghtening the shin area is another key to prevention. There are some easy exercises you can do such as toe taps (you'l feelt he burn after a while) and another easy one is "drawing the alphabet" with your toe.
Hope this helps

burm Wed, Jan-21-04 11:34

I did spend some $$$ on these NB 2001's I got these shoes because of the extra cusion and arch support. (I do have flat feet) Should I still get a insert for these even tho I have these shoes?

Thank you!

P.S. Any other good stretches?

climbergrl Wed, Jan-21-04 12:26

I would get the insert. They make a difference. at 30 bucks they're not that cheap, but they will last through a few pairs of shoes. The inserts that come with the shoes are usually very basic and not too supportive. The shoes may be made for someone with flat feet in that they prevent you from rolling inward, but with no arch in your foot, the arch still takes a lot of shock which transfers directly up the leg.

Galadriell Wed, Jan-21-04 12:40

Everything you have ever wanted to know about shin split:-)

Here is a great source to learn about shin split healing/prevention, stretches. Beside the alphabet, you can find a couple of more stretches.
http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,...te=RunnersWorld

I agree with climbergrl - "arch support" is for preventing rolling inward, but does not help with flat feet.

Something else. Quote from you: "Over the last week I have gotten myself from 2 Min to a full Mile run." There is a basic rule: do not increase your distance by more than 10%/week. So if you are going back to run, instead of one mile running, how about 30 min walk/run, with shortening walking periods? Believe me, your weakest point is NOT your heart, but always your leg.

Here is one possible plan: (You can start with week 3 for example.)

10-WEEK TRAINING PLAN
The following running schedule was created by Budd Coates, Health Promotions
Manager at Rodale Press, who instructs a corporate beginning running
program. Coates has taken nonrunners and, in 10 weeks, helped them reach
their goal of running the 3.5-mile J.P. Morgan/Chase Corporate Challenge.
Before you start with this schedule, get your legs ready with eight days of
walking: walk for 20 minutes a day for the first four days, then increase to
30 minutes a day for four more days.
Now you're ready to begin with week 1. Each week of the program, do your
run/walk workouts on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and take
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday off.
10-WEEK TRAINING SCHEDULE Week 1 Run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes. Repeat 5
times.
Week 2 Run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Repeat five times.
Week 3 Run 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes. Repeat four times.
Week 4 Run 7 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Repeat three times.
Week 5 Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat three times.
Week 6 Run 9 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat twice, then run 8 minutes.
Week 7 Run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat three times.
Week 8 Run 13 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat twice.
Week 9 Run 14 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat twice.
Week 10 Run 30 minutes.

After 10 weeks you are able to run 3.5 miles/30 min