Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Strange but true--Buy your Keto Stix at the Vet!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=68696)

AnaPR Fri, Nov-01-02 11:37

Strange but true--Buy your Keto Stix at the Vet!!

Hey guys--save money on your keto-sticks by buying them at the Vet. You can get 100 strips for about 20 dollars usually--they're very convenient and inexpensive that way.

Keto Stix are used to measure the glucose and ketone levels in diabetic animals, but they work the EXACT same way for us. Just a suggestion for you guys out there looking to save a little money.

Also, I'm not crazy :) I have a diabetic cat.

Ana

tofi Sun, Nov-03-02 20:15

But in Canada you can get the stix for about $7.50 for 50 at many pharmacies and that is only $15 Canadian. Converted to US, it's about 10 US bucks. So perhaps it's not worth it for Canadians.
:wave:

suze_c Sun, Nov-03-02 21:38

If memory serves me right

I paid $15-16 for 50 at a wallyworld (walmart) pharmacy.That was some time ago though... bet I could find them cheaper, but I ain't worried about ketosis... I don't eat anything that could bring me out of it! :lol:

Redd Sun, Nov-03-02 22:49

Another trick you can do to make them last longer is to cut them in half. You can double your amount! ;)

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-04-02 08:27

I don't know if you have Eckard Drug Stores out your way but I got 100 Bayer Keto sticks for onl $7.50ish.

AnaPR Mon, Nov-04-02 09:07

I will definitely check out the eckerds thing--I live in New York (at the moment) so everything here is pretty expensive. Guess you guys out there have it a little easier on the pocketbook :)

Ana

nikkiend Wed, Nov-06-02 15:12

Eckerds

I've been getting the 100 count ketos at Eckerds in South Florida, but they're costing me $20 + change. I find the 50 count in most stores run between $12-$15. I had to special order them this last time but they didn't charge me extra. I guess the cost of living is alot higher down here than in PA...

lkonzelman Wed, Nov-06-02 15:20

Found this online for 100 count for only $8.95

http://www.lowcarbmart.com/strips.html

Hope this helps you...

nikkiend Wed, Nov-06-02 15:23

Great, Lisa. Thanks. BTW, I got on the Eckerds website and they showed the 50 count for $11 plus change, so you must have gotten a great deal!

lkonzelman Wed, Nov-06-02 15:31

I won't question them - i'll just be happy the deal I got.

Note: I barely ever use them now since I stay at induction levels mostly.

nikkiend Wed, Nov-06-02 15:50

I use them for a mental boost. I pretty much stay at induction levels, also. They're great to let you know you've made a boo-boo and eaten something you shouldn't.

lkonzelman Wed, Nov-06-02 15:51

I know... I know... i'm saving mine for the holidays. Gulp!

nikkiend Wed, Nov-06-02 15:59

I'm a little nervous about that too. That's when I usually "fall off the wagon" and go nuts for a few months. If I could just have a day or two to indulge and then get back to LC'ing, I'd be fine but I tend to binge and just not get on the scale until I'm totally disgusted with myself. I'm hoping that since it's been such a struggle this time to get this weight off, I won't do that again.

lkonzelman Wed, Nov-06-02 18:48

It is scary to me too... i'm like a heroin addict with chocolate.

My plan (hopefully I will stay in control) is to have a few cheat meals only - not days. I will try to fill up on the proteins and fats first then taste the special things. For just those meals I plan to kind of implement the CAD way... all in one hour.

Then back to business. Fingers are crossed.

nikkiend Thu, Nov-07-02 07:14

Lisa, have you tried the Atkins Endulge bars or the Ross bars? I know they cause some people to stall, but it's worth it to try them to find out. They are DELICIOUS! You can't tell the difference between them and real chocolate. You just have to be VERY careful not to eat too much because they can mess with your digestive system.