Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   people who know nothing and give opinions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=71853)

CleoMtl Thu, Nov-21-02 08:19

people who know nothing and give opinions

Went into local health food store last nite for some multivites....and did i get the gears......she said Atkins and low carb the worst diet you can be on long term. Said there is a very high risk of kidney stones and calcium build up...felt like slugging.....but in the quiet of the nite i was worried......should i have slugged her or not.....at any rate i walked out of the store and they wont see me again. Your input please

agonycat Thu, Nov-21-02 08:26

The tides will turn soon. In the meantime just ignore the naysayers.

I am moving your post to the General Low Carb forum since it doesn't address Studies, Research or Media.

Josiemk Thu, Nov-21-02 09:48

Eveyone has an opinion

It's easy to knock something, that they know nothing about. :rolleyes: I have been through it also, I think alot of Low carber have as well. I learned that it's best to let them think what they want ,you can't argue w/ those poeple, :rolleyes: after all aren't they the nutritional experts, look at their weight :lol: Here we are all losing weight or have lost weight & enjoying our food. Why they stick w/ their low fat diets that get them no where but a even slower metabolism. hehe Maybe one day they realize that they too need to lower their carbs & join us.

Josie

melissa07 Thu, Nov-21-02 11:26

If you feel doubt, just look over this forum at the tons of unbiased data that support low carb. I'm sure the lady at the health food store hasn't done her research!

;)

PoofieD Thu, Nov-21-02 15:45

I often wonder..

If working at a health food store give them the idea that they know it all :-)
Actually I don't shop very much differently at my local HFS, than at the grocery store down the street.
The best foods are still on the outside aisles..with a few things. LIke multivit's I have to go in the center for..
But the health food store still has a lot of unhealthy junk in the middle aisle's :-)
You just have to know what you want..
PS: glad you didn't slug her.. but I sure wish you could!! :-)
Sorry!
Poofie!

Lisa N Thu, Nov-21-02 15:59

Yup...it's happened to me to and at a health food store as well. Some kid working behind the counter told me that he heard that someone's kidneys exploded while on a low carb diet.
I'm starting to wonder if suckers and idiots are born at approximately the same time intervals. ;)

agonycat Thu, Nov-21-02 16:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
someone's kidneys exploded while on a low carb diet.

Exploding Kidneys?!?!?!??!?!? WOW! That must have been something to have someone's kidneys blow out. Must have been all that protein we eat, or perhaps it was due to cutting so much out of our diet.

:rolleyes: You know...the next thing they will be saying is our brain shrunk from not enough carbs and our liver flipped over from the fat.

:D

Lisa did you look at the guy like he had grown another set of eyes? Man I would have.

PoofieD Thu, Nov-21-02 17:53

Hmmmm...

Maybe we could counter about hearing about people with exploding pancreas on a high carb diet ..... ;-)
Poofie!

jwperu Thu, Nov-21-02 19:08

suggestion

The next time this happens to you, smile very sincerely, and tell the person that you believe in evidence based medicine, and that if she has any citations from peer review journals to give you, (she doesn't) you would be happy to reveiw them and take the information into consideration. Otherwise, you are not interested in opinions, as you are capable of forming your own.

Lisa N Thu, Nov-21-02 19:45

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat

Lisa did you look at the guy like he had grown another set of eyes? Man I would have.

No, but I think my hysterical laughter may have put him off a bit. :lol:

agonycat Thu, Nov-21-02 19:56

Re: suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by jwperu
The next time this happens to you, smile very sincerely, and tell the person that you believe in evidence based medicine, and that if she has any citations from peer review journals to give you, (she doesn't) you would be happy to reveiw them and take the information into consideration. Otherwise, you are not interested in opinions, as you are capable of forming your own.

Aw you take all the fun out of it.

I find it much more fun to look at people like they just grew an extra set of eyeballs. Or as Lisa put it laugh hysterically.

OH WAIT!!!! I have an idea! Next time someone says it explodes your kidneys, scream in pain while grasping your back and yelling my God you're right, my kidneys are about to explode!

umm sorry, it's been a long day and I feel slightly slaphappy at this point :)

tigersue Thu, Nov-21-02 20:29

Hmmm!!!! Couldn't we just tell them about the exploding fat cells from all the insulin storing the excess carbs?
Tanya

CleoMtl Fri, Nov-22-02 05:17

I feel empowered

Ive just finished reading the replies to my tread again. I feel absolutely empowered. I did tell the young professor (at least in her uneducated mind) in the health food store that i was very happy doing what i was doing and was very happy. also that she should read some of the articles that are coming out of the media these days. I am sure it fell on deaf ears. The important thing is that we all know that we are getting healthier. Thanks for the support and comfirmation.

SthrnTami Fri, Nov-22-02 07:11

The next time someone gives me some "meaningful" advice against Atkins, I'm gonna look at them seriously & concerned, and say, "Really?? Wow, I didn't know that! You know what I heard? People who eat too many carbohydrates tend to become biased know-it-alls!

agonycat Fri, Nov-22-02 07:25

Quote:
Originally posted by SthrnTami
"Really?? Wow, I didn't know that! You know what I heard? People who eat too many carbohydrates tend to become biased know-it-alls!

:lol: I just spit water all over my screen when I read this. :lol:

There ya go!