Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Buffalo Wings! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179088)

joeyjoejoe Sat, Apr-17-04 15:54

Buffalo Wings!

OK I'm on the low-cal Atkins thing...every day I eat a can of tuna or lump crabmeat for breakfast, two portions of grilled chicken or fish, and then a repeat of one or the other for dinner.

But on weekends I cheat on the calories. Has anyone done buffalo wings? I just buy a bunch of chicken wings from the supermarket, deep fry them "naked" in canola oil, then once they're crisp and crunchy I toss them with a Louisiana Hot Sauce/butter mix and dip them in carb-free blue cheese dressing.

I can't believe something so good can be carb-free.

MyJourney Sat, Apr-17-04 16:04

I love buffalo wings!
I hate deep frying so I dont do it often, but when I do I love em!
I also order them when I go out as long as they dont have flour or some type of coating.

Yum!

davezac Sat, Apr-17-04 16:10

wings

If you don't like to deep fry, try baking them first till done, then broil to crisp a bit. Then shake them in your favorite sauce. I have also done them on the grill till crisp. Delish!!

potatofree Sat, Apr-17-04 16:40

First of all, Atkins isn't carb-free. If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading the book or at least reading up on the Atkins website at atkins.com.

The Atkins plan doesn't mean all meat, but a good variety of healthy veggies and fats..definately NOT low-calorie on induction.

Best of luck!

bcbeauty Sat, Apr-17-04 16:54

Every where I have eaten hot wings when I am out...Are safe. I have not yet comeinto bad wings with sauce containing flour, corn starch or sugar. Ya gotta love that!

tcastro Sat, Apr-17-04 17:15

Buffalo/Hot wings = <3

MyJourney Sat, Apr-17-04 17:36

One day I was craving wings and I went to 3 local places and all of them used flour, or cornstarch or some type of breading and couldnt make it without.

2 of them got them prepackaged. They insisted they were fine till I told them I was deathly allergic and made them look and they came back and told me there was flour. That was not my day! I ended up getting some at pizza hut. I was having the worst craving.

Most times I dont have a problem and people are really good about it. That was just a streak of bad luck.

Elsah Sat, Apr-17-04 17:45

I really hope you are eating your veggies along with those meats. They are low in calories (if that's what you are watching) and have nutrients that your body needs. There is no reason to exclude them. www.atkins.com has the atkins plan for you if that is what you are wanting to follow. Atkins is not a high protein/ low calorie/low fat plan though. From what you say you are eating there isn't much fat at all in your diet.

Jenn

solamander Sat, Apr-17-04 18:17

I make wings all the time, but I bake them for about 45 min ~ 375 (turning once) then I pour the sauce+butter over them and bake about 10 more min
You should try Ranch flavored, sprinkle them with the powder dressing mix mixed with melted butter!

joeyjoejoe Sat, Apr-17-04 18:48

To the people upset that I'm not following Atkins to a T, I'm sorry. I figured this was the best place to post about the wings. Maybe I should've said "Low-Calorie Ketosis" instead of "Low-Calorie Atkins." Either way I meant that my diet was a variation of Atkins that didn't follow it exactly. I've found that the weight comes off much quicker this way without as many concerns about blood pressure and/or cholestorol.

Dee30 Sat, Apr-17-04 18:58

Yummy. I had some yesterday lol

Britgrl Sat, Apr-17-04 19:38

Joey, be careful. There are Wing places out there that add sugar in their mild/medium/hot sauces. A place here in south GA called Zaxbys is a wing place. I ate there my first month of Atkins not knowing SUGAR was in the sauce! I found out and from then on I ordered them "plain" and bring along my own hot sauce or just bring them home and pour on the sauce/butter. =)
Brittany

gojacketz Sat, Apr-17-04 20:08

MMMMMMMMMM, Wings

Wings, one of my favorite subject.

I have a contraption called a Big Green Egg, which is a ceramic smoker that I use to cook wings all the time. 1 Hour at 300-325, flip them every 15 minutes. Makes them crispy if I leave them on there long enough, and they are awesome.

For the sauce, I use a Hooter's 3 Mile Island Sauce (0 carbs per the label), or I make my own (olive oil, Texas Petes, Franks Red Hot Sauce, lemon pepper, cayenne, dash of white vinegar - no specific amounts, but heavy on the Pete's and Red Hot and not a lot of vinegar. About a teaspoon of olive oil. - simmer it for 10 mins or so, but beware - it can get pretty hot if you reduce it enough).

Most tasty.

Gojacketz

potatofree Sat, Apr-17-04 20:16

I'm not "upset" that you aren't following Atkins to a T. I just don't get how eating all meat is supposed to be better? A body needs more nutrition than meat or fish alone can provide, but I'm sure you'll figure that out eventually.

Karen___L Sat, Apr-17-04 22:51

I think Pizza Hut has the best wings that I have ever had. I tried the Tyson frozen wings for dinner tonight. One carb per 4 pieces and they were good, but they were from really fat chickens and I cannot stand chicken skin and fat. Ukkk.