Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Stupid Question - Too much, too fast? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=190389)

anonyMouse Wed, Jun-09-04 19:55

Stupid Question - Too much, too fast?

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but can you lose too much weight too fast on Atkins? I started Atkins Induction on May 3, and so far (37 days) I've lost 27 pounds. The first week I lost around 10 pounds, then nothing for about 10 days. The other 17 came off over about 20 days or so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining :D ;) and I feel great!!! But I've read that it's best for the weight to come off over a long period of time to help the body adjust and help ensure that the weight will stay off. I've been exercising more than I have in years so I'm sure that's contributing. I guess I'm just wondering now if losing this much weight this quickly could possibly be bad for me. :q:

supernova Wed, Jun-09-04 20:11

I really don't know how much is too much to lose, but I was wondering if I could rub you for good luck!! ;)

Seriously, congratulations on your amazing start, and hopefully, someone will have some insight as to whether or not you're losing too fast.

blue4lemon Wed, Jun-09-04 20:13

when you are heavier you lose faster, and some find that you lose more steadily. :)

spiceys Wed, Jun-09-04 21:24

There will come a point where your weight will stall. Light the previous person stated, the heavier you are the more that will come off but it showed slow down.

jemman Thu, Jun-10-04 05:15

you and i are in similar boats... im sure we're going to slow WAY down soon... the biggest thing i've heard is that we have to be careful because rapid weight loss wont allow our skin to get any elasticity back

Mearra Thu, Jun-10-04 08:12

sil said

My sil sells advocare, and said that she sells this stuff that helps skin elasticity(sp) what do you think? Is it just a scam, or could it actually help? I thought drinking alot of water would help with this.

Lindym Thu, Jun-10-04 09:07

WTO go on the lbs lost :)

If you do a search on the name afwife, you will find Lily, who lost 30 lbs in 30 days and this was well into her Atkins stint. It scared her so she had her Dr check her out. He said there was nothing wrong and to keep up what ever she was doing!

As far as the skin goes, there is something to be said for the slow loss because it does give your body time to adjust.

Fhyreworks Thu, Jun-10-04 09:10

I want to lose too much too fast! Pretty please? Huh? Can I? Huh?

:yay:

You're doing so good! Congrats! :)

Debbie

scorpio381 Thu, Jun-10-04 09:13

My advice....if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Unless you're having side effects (nausea, lack of energy, etc.), I'd say keep on keepin' on!

BTW...can you give us a peek at your typical menu so maybe the rest of us can get in on your little secret??

anonyMouse Thu, Jun-10-04 13:32

First of all, thank you all for your kind words or encouragement. This place has definitely been a blessing on my journey thus far.

As far as the stall goes, I have been trying to mentally prepare myself for that for the last couple of weeks. I know it WILL happen, it's just a matter of WHEN. I don't know how I'll take it when it happens, but I'm trying to remember that I've done well so far and never expected to see even this much success. Also, I've put on the weight over several years so can't expect it all to come off immediately. (Of course, when this stall does happen, I probably won't be thinking of any of that. ;) )

Did you really want to see my menu?? It varies, but I guess it typically goes something like this:

Breakfast ~ around 8:00 am
1 or 2 sausage patties OR a few strips of bacon
an omelet consisting of 1 or 2 eggs and some sauted veggies

If I'm in a hurry (or wanting something sweet) I'll fix a mock danish but that doesn't keep me satisfied as long. Or if I have any leftovers from supper the night before, I'll eat that.

Lunch ~ usually around 2:00 pm since I'm not hungry til then
salad - I've gotten tired of the lettuces right now and will have plenty later on in the garden so I've been using cabbage instead
typically add in one or more of the following: cucumber, mushroom, jicama, and then top with my 1-carb/serving salad dressing, which is the only packaged lc product that I have been using.

Supper/Dinner ~
This varies more than the rest, especially since some evenings I just don't have an appetite
Sometimes I'll have a chicken breast (or two)
or hamburgers
or bacon (can't get too much bacon :D )
I've tried a bacon cheeseburger casserole I found here and that was good.
Lately I've been having a lot of a ground beef concoction that I made up. It's basically just sauted veggies (onion, green pepper, cabbage, garlic, mushroom) mixed with some browned ground beef and a little cream cheese for some added flavor and to help hold things together a bit. It sounds weird, I know, but I enjoy it.

Edited to add: I also drink at least a gallon of water each day and no other liquids like soda or coffee.

Plus I've been getting quite a bit more exercise than I used to so I'm sure that plays a key role in the quick weight loss too.

I am a bit concerned about my skin's elasticity, especially in my stomach area. But I guess time will tell with that.

Well, I got a bit long winded, but thanks to each of you for your posts and encouragement. I know it will help keep me on the right path to lose my next 27 pounds, even if it takes a LOT longer.
:wave:

mio1996 Thu, Jun-10-04 16:39

:clap: As long as you feel great, just pat yourself on the back and KEEP UP WHAT YOU'RE DOING! You are on your way!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LoriLoCarb Thu, Jun-10-04 17:30

WTG anonyMouse (love the name btw!)!!! :yay: :yay: As everyone said, everyone is different. My DH is losing at about the rate you are (he has averaged 1 lb. a day for the past 40 days) and I have lost about 22.5 lbs (which I can't complain about) in the same time. To top it off though, he drinks more Diet Rite, and has more LC sweets. Ah well, just shows that everyone is different :) Hope your loss continues and you feel good =)

black57 Thu, Jun-10-04 20:59

If you are eating healthily and losing weight, you are fine. You have a very healthy metabolism. It will slow down, especially when you move to OWL but this diet is all about balance.