Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Best Lc Bread, Ever! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126840)

avah Wed, Jul-30-03 16:47

Best Lc Bread, Ever!

This bread works best in a 1 pound loaf breadmachine. The brand i have is 'citizen'.

I revamped this recipe from a cookbook and came up with awesome results!! This bread actually tastes like 'regular high carb' bread and is awesome toasted or not with peanut butter & LC jam. You have to try this one!!! :)

1 tsp yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. Splenda
1 tbsp. butter
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Add ingredients to bread maker in order listed. I bake this bread on the 'light' setting. The bread may lift the breadmaker lid slightly during the last 20 minutes of baking. It will shrink ONLY slightly and the lid will reclose after baking is complete. This bread is awesome and is the BEST that i've ever tasted since doing Atkins. Let me know what you think. No ugly, clumpy, tasteless bread here!!

I'm not sure of the total carb count, but i'm guessing approx. 3-4 carbs per slice.(I get 10 good slices)
If someone could run this through Mastercook for me that would be awesome!!! :)

Scarlet Wed, Jul-30-03 19:37

Would it be possible to make this without a bread maker?

cc48510 Wed, Jul-30-03 21:59

According to Fitday (I already had Vital Wheat Gluten entered as a custom food based on a box I bought):

1,050 Calories
35g Fat
11g Saturated Fat
12g Polyunsaturated Fat
9g Monounsaturated Fat
84g Carbohydrates
26g Dietary Fiber
119g Protein
NET CARBS: 58g

Per Serving (based on 10):

105 Calories
3.5g Fat
1g Saturated Fat
1g Polyunsaturated Fat
1g Monounsaturated Fat
8.4g Carbohydrates
2.6g Dietary Fiber
12g Protein
NET CARBS: 5.8g

These figures include the sugar...which I presume is for the yeast. So, the actual carb count would likely be lower. 25.17g of Carbs comes from the sugar. That is 2.517g per serving (based on 10) from the Sugar.

avah Wed, Jul-30-03 22:02

Hi-
I haven't tried making it the traditional way, but i'm sure it would work out fine. I would say mix the yeast & warm water with a teaspoon of regular sugar & let it set then combine it with the dry ingredients and go from there as you would if you were making regular bread. I hope it works for you because it truly is a fabulous bread!! Yum!

-Ava

avah Wed, Jul-30-03 22:08

cc48510 -
Thanks so much!! However, i just had to edit my recipe.....it should have read Splenda, not sugar. Ooops!! Also, i use wheat gluten flour which has 6 carbs per 1/4 cup. This should make a difference with the final carb count.

Thanks again! :)

-Ava

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
According to Fitday (I already had Vital Wheat Gluten entered as a custom food based on a box I bought):

1,050 Calories
35g Fat
11g Saturated Fat
12g Polyunsaturated Fat
9g Monounsaturated Fat
84g Carbohydrates
26g Dietary Fiber
119g Protein
NET CARBS: 58g

Per Serving (based on 10):

105 Calories
3.5g Fat
1g Saturated Fat
1g Polyunsaturated Fat
1g Monounsaturated Fat
8.4g Carbohydrates
2.6g Dietary Fiber
12g Protein
NET CARBS: 5.8g

These figures include the sugar...which I presume is for the yeast. So, the actual carb count would likely be lower. 25.17g of Carbs comes from the sugar. That is 2.517g per serving (based on 10) from the Sugar.

avah Mon, Aug-04-03 10:59

Hi,
My recipe should read 1/3 cup of fine ground flaxseed, i just noticed my little error of 1/4 cup.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avah
This bread works best in a 1 pound loaf breadmachine. The brand i have is 'citizen'.

I revamped this recipe from a cookbook and came up with awesome results!! This bread actually tastes like 'regular high carb' bread and is awesome toasted or not with peanut butter & LC jam. You have to try this one!!! :)

1 tsp yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. Splenda
1 tbsp. butter
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Add ingredients to bread maker in order listed. I bake this bread on the 'light' setting. The bread may lift the breadmaker lid slightly during the last 20 minutes of baking. It will shrink ONLY slightly and the lid will reclose after baking is complete. This bread is awesome and is the BEST that i've ever tasted since doing Atkins. Let me know what you think. No ugly, clumpy, tasteless bread here!!

I'm not sure of the total carb count, but i'm guessing approx. 3-4 carbs per slice.(I get 10 good slices)
If someone could run this through Mastercook for me that would be awesome!!! :)

sierra_jen Mon, Aug-04-03 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by avah
Hi,
My recipe should read 1/3 cup of fine ground flaxseed, i just noticed my little error of 1/4 cup.

Thanks!

Before I try this one can you tell me if it is
"vital" wheat gluten flour or just wheat gluten flour

Thanks

Jen

collierami Mon, Aug-04-03 18:07

Anywhere to buy good low carb bread?

avah Mon, Aug-04-03 21:54

Yes, it is Vital wheat gluten. I buy the bob's red mill brand with 6 carbs per 1/4 cup. :)

Jo-Ann 2 Tue, Aug-05-03 09:58

Simple request

Hi, could you write the recipe with the corrections made, I got confused, which isn't a hard thing to do to me when I'm trying to do something I haven't done before. I would truely love a recipe for bread I could use in my breadmaker. Thanks.
Jo-Ann2

avah Tue, Aug-05-03 12:17

Jo-Ann

Here is the recipe with the corrections made. Happy baking!! :)

1 tsp Yeast
1 cup Vital wheat gluten(bob's red mill)
1/4 cup Soy flour
1/3 cup Ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. Splenda
1 tbsp. butter
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Follow recipe as per my first post...... :)

Jo-Ann 2 Tue, Aug-05-03 17:23

Thanks for a quick response.
Jo-Ann 2 :wave:

rmccloud Mon, Sep-01-03 13:26

Ava:
Please help me on your recipe! I took the recipe as written (in your final post), added the ingredients as told to (top to bottom), and it is now in my Breadman Ultimate - under white bread and light setting.
It's in its second knead cycle and the ingredients look REALLY dry...I opened the machine during the knead and mixed them a bit, which seems to help, but I wonder if you have any tips for this machine and your recipe? Just ran a 1/2 marathon and need some bread an lo-carb peanut butter...

Post edited to remove email address. Please refer to our forum rules.

ira Thu, Sep-04-03 18:23

I've been baking this bread pretty regularly and I'm very happy with it.
I made hot dog rolls, baguettes, and pizza with it. I added a bit of almond meal(cause I like the taste) and olive oil instead of butter(since i couldn't find any) and it came out just great. When I made the rolls I added an egg wash on top and some sesame seeds and kosher salt. Yum!

DrmCorpMom Mon, Sep-08-03 22:33

Something wrong???

I finally found all the ingredients for this bread and tried it tonight. First let me say that I have never made or tasted low carb bread.

Unfortunately either I did something wrong or I am not going to like LC bread. It's flavor was way too strong...the flax maybe? It tastes nothing like regular bread. I was hoping for more of a mild wheat flavor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different receipe? Or changes to this one? Or is all LC bread this way?

Please help out a bread newbie. (and new to this site)

Thanks!
Jaimie